Nice flukes

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Only time I've seen anything close to that was with measle balls with well worn out spots. When the ball slows down and spins right on the worn out spot, they can do weird circular motions.

Not anywhere near the level of that first shot though.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Balls were loaded with lead or mercury. In another video someone had a big fan near the table.

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
Speaking of flukes. Can someone tell me if this is a foul?

Player shoots off Red with Yellow cue ball, goes 3 rails and strikes the Red again before striking the White cue ball.

I guess what i am trying to understand (new to game) is if i hit the first object ball 2,3,etc times and go 3 rails and hit the second object ball is it a good shot.

I know i have 2 different types of incidents here but i think they are really about the same.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Speaking of flukes. Can someone tell me if this is a foul?

Player shoots off Red with Yellow cue ball, goes 3 rails and strikes the Red again before striking the White cue ball.

I guess what i am trying to understand (new to game) is if i hit the first object ball 2,3,etc times and go 3 rails and hit the second object ball is it a good shot.

I know i have 2 different types of incidents here but i think they are really about the same.
The rule for a 3-C point is simply stated:

Your cue ball must contact both other balls and it must make at least three "cushion contacts" before contacting the second ball for the first time.

There is nothing in that rule about what other contacts may occur during the shot or the order of ball contacts and cushion contacts other than "at least three cushions before the last ball". Also, it says nothing about using different cushions -- all the cushion contacts can come from a single rail for example with a masse/pique shot. Also, there is nothing in the rule about not hitting the first ball multiple times or the first ball not sending the second into motion before your cue ball hits it.

There is the small detail that if the cue ball bounces on the top of a cushion multiple times (and returns to the table), it counts as only a single cushion contact.

Some 3-C rule sets try to enumerate all the possible ball/cushion possibilities: 1ccc2, c1cc2, ccc12, ccc1c2, c1c1c2, ..... All of those are covered by the simple rule above.

If you are just starting 3C I urge you to get Robert Byrne's "Standard Book of Pool and Billiards". It has the best discussion in English of the game. If you find it useful, you may want to get his other two instructional books, "Advanced Technique" and "Wonderful World".

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
The rule for a 3-C point is simply stated:

Your cue ball must contact both other balls and it must make at least three "cushion contacts" before contacting the second ball for the first time.

There is nothing in that rule about what other contacts may occur during the shot or the order of ball contacts and cushion contacts other than "at least three cushions before the last ball". Also, it says nothing about using different cushions -- all the cushion contacts can come from a single rail for example with a masse/pique shot. Also, there is nothing in the rule about not hitting the first ball multiple times or the first ball not sending the second into motion before your cue ball hits it.

There is the small detail that if the cue ball bounces on the top of a cushion multiple times (and returns to the table), it counts as only a single cushion contact.

Some 3-C rule sets try to enumerate all the possible ball/cushion possibilities: 1ccc2, c1cc2, ccc12, ccc1c2, c1c1c2, ..... All of those are covered by the simple rule above.

If you are just starting 3C I urge you to get Robert Byrne's "Standard Book of Pool and Billiards". It has the best discussion in English of the game. If you find it useful, you may want to get his other two instructional books, "Advanced Technique" and "Wonderful World".
Thanks... That really clears it up for me. Don

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Masterfully hooked myself

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-21-19-38-23-595.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-21-19-38-23-595.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 76