US Open 9-ball updates thread..

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not talking about Magee. I'm talking about non-dead money players. If they break and are hooked they can push out to jump shots that other top players would take for granted but Judd would be forced to kick at.
Efren kicked pretty well.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
would love judd to win another match just for phil yates to get his hopes up and think he can beat someone like biado or gorst
Bear in mind that it suits both Matchroom and Sky Sports to over hype things as they are trying to increase interest and ultimately viewing figures.

It doesn't necessarily mean that off camera the commentary team / presenters believe what they're saying ;-)

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bear in mind that it suits both Matchroom and Sky Sports to over hype things as they are trying to increase interest and ultimately viewing figures.

It doesn't necessarily mean that off camera the commentary team / presenters believe what they're saying ;-)
Oh, Phil Yates believes it, he definitely believes it. :LOL:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
So far the general forum consensus seems more or less right about Trump: great shotmaking, but probably an underdog against someone with substantial 9 ball experience. Trump broke pretty well (template racks here); he did miss a few relatively easy balls, but put down some great tough shots as well. I think he will probably get out moved by tougher competition.

The guy is clearly not writing on a blank slate, but it doesn't look like enough to overcome the best. Just IMHO

It's still weird as hell to watch some guy with an amazing stroke look like he walked into a pool hall for the first time.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My assessment after Match #1

Ball-making/Potting - A++
Breaking - B
Kicking - A
Safeties - B+
Jumping - n/a
Positional play - B+

His positional play was overall good, but he did seem to misjudge it a few times. The break was much better than I'm sure anyone expected. The main thing he needs to get down his controlling the CB. He'll definitely need to string racks together if he wants a chance against any of the top players.

I still think he's a decent favorite over anyone rated 750 or lower.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
would love judd to win another match just for phil yates to get his hopes up and think he can beat someone like biado or gorst
Phil Yates is awful.
Judd exceeded my expectations. I don’t think he will beat anybody that’s a real player, but he definitely looked better than I thought he would.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ha maybe!

My take is that we didn't learn a lot from this really.

We saw:

Trump can pot well when the balls are open
He can escape snookers fairly easily
He can lay snookers reasonably accurately (most of the time)
He isn't going to try jumping

Things we did learn:

He sometimes misjudges the spin off the cushions
His break was better than expected, although the cue ball sometimes got lost
He missed a few balls (not many admittedly) that perhaps he should have got

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is too much. A professional "cueist" beating up on an APA 3 is NOTHING to be excited about or proud of. The other commentator made the remark about pool players not being able to be competitive in snooker. Guaranteed if Shane went over and played the APA 3 equivalent snooker player he'd drill him too. If he played an actual professional (any level) probably not. Let's see what Judd does against a player that has a professional skillset.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member

Breaking - B
Kicking - A
Safeties - B+
Jumping - n/a
Positional play - B+

His positional play was overall good, but he did seem to misjudge it a few times. The break was much better than I'm sure anyone expected. The main thing he needs to get down his controlling the CB. He'll definitely need to string racks together if he wants a chance against any of the top players.

I agree with all of this but thought he broke better than B.

BlueRaider

Registered
Can't find anything on Judd's next opponent (Dhruvalkumar Patel). Could be another warm-up match for him before he inevitably faces some actual opposition.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be foolish but not out of the realm of possibility for Matchroom to stack his draw. Modern day Mike LeBroan anyone? LOL!

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be foolish but not out of the realm of possibility for Matchroom to stack his draw. Modern day Mike LeBroan anyone? LOL!

There have been quite a few convenient draws recently in snooker...so maybe ;-) However in reality, as the UK bookies are offering odds on this, any hint of anything improper would be a massive deal, so its unlikely anyone would attempt something like that.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Breaking - B
Kicking - A
Safeties - B+
Jumping - n/a
Positional play - B+

I think you’re “Phil Yates-ing” it a bit there. It’s hard to judge when he plays someone who literally didn’t make 3 balls in a row in that match (I think he made 2 balls once?). Trump looked to me like he’d lose to anyone closer to 650 or lower, but who knows, maybe his game will go up when he faces better competition. I doubt it though, he’ll probably get tighter and make worse judgments.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
There have been quite a few convenient draws recently in snooker...so maybe ;-) However in reality, as the UK bookies are offering odds on this, any hint of anything improper would be a massive deal, so its unlikely anyone would attempt something like that.
It's day one of a seeded tournament. All of the streamed matches have been lions vs lambs so far. Nothing out of the usual. Trump has nothing to gain and everything to lose with that kind of scandal.