US Open 9-ball updates thread..

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is better if we redirect our efforts toward getting youth involved in biathlon.

It combines physical and mental attributes in a way little else can and it is a great gateway sport for damn near everything.

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What crack are you on? Shane has had several world championship appearances with 2 runner ups and top 16 in practically every one.

Jaden
no world championships and 2 runner ups in Doha, Qatar in the world 9 ball

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i agree that it's about equal in prestige. hopefully though MR will up the prize money for the world championship in coming years. even though i've learned from this hijacked trainwreck of a thread that it's not possible in any way shape or form, lol
such is pool

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
no world championships and 2 runner ups in Doha, Qatar in the world 9 ball
Dude, lay off the crack. You said in the post I quoted that he had ONE world championship appearance. Now you're acknowledging that he had 2 runner ups... He was also top 16 several times... Just Say NO...

Jaden

SlateMan

Registered
I have no idea where this $1,000 a player buy in is coming from, all those events are is a ring game for the top 4 players to walk away with all the money, and most of those players have someone paying their entry fee. I'd never have anything to do with events like that.
The WSOP has a $10,000 buy in. Many of the participants win satellites to get in the tourney. The $1,000 idea was pulled from between my left and right cheek. :) It was based on a slightly higher U.S. Open entry fee. The key is to have enough money coming into the U.S. Open via entries to increase the payout. The key to getting more entries was the concept of the satellites. Think of World Series of Poker. I can pay to get into the tourney or I can go the satellite route. There are online satellite tourneys but also live ones. In my area I can play in a satellite in Jax or Daytona. One satellite win and I advance to the WSOP. In my example there were several levels of Satellites. I can win a small one, to get to the next level. Place in the top x at that level, and you advance to the final U.S. Open.

Heck, look at golf. The U.S. Open is just that. It is OPEN. 8,680 people play in local qualifying events. 500 got to go to "Final Qualifying" from the locals. 814 people played in the Final Qualifying, with 66 advancing. Then there are 88 pro's who received exemptions from qualifying.

There top prize was $15,000,000! I think the model works!
US Open Golf.png

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WSOP has a $10,000 buy in. Many of the participants win satellites to get in the tourney. The $1,000 idea was pulled from between my left and right cheek. :) It was based on a slightly higher U.S. Open entry fee. The key is to have enough money coming into the U.S. Open via entries to increase the payout. The key to getting more entries was the concept of the satellites. Think of World Series of Poker. I can pay to get into the tourney or I can go the satellite route. There are online satellite tourneys but also live ones. In my area I can play in a satellite in Jax or Daytona. One satellite win and I advance to the WSOP. In my example there were several levels of Satellites. I can win a small one, to get to the next level. Place in the top x at that level, and you advance to the final U.S. Open.

Heck, look at golf. The U.S. Open is just that. It is OPEN. 8,680 people play in local qualifying events. 500 got to go to "Final Qualifying" from the locals. 814 people played in the Final Qualifying, with 66 advancing. Then there are 88 pro's who received exemptions from qualifying.

View attachment 611417
Have to be a 2hdcp or better to qualify for US Open golf. A pool analogy would mean that you'd probably have to be at least a 650-700Fargo to try to qualify. Otherwise you'd have 400F league players trying to get in.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is better if we redirect our efforts toward getting youth involved in biathlon.

It combines physical and mental attributes in a way little else can and it is a great gateway sport for damn near everything.
Can't think of a better way to get kids off their phones than going skiing and shooting shit. Hell, inner-city kids got the shooting down pat so all you need is some skis. Maybe snowbarding with Glocks would be a good fit for today's youth. ;)

SlateMan

Registered
Can't think of a better way to get kids off their phones than going skiing and shooting shit. Hell, inner-city kids got the shooting down pat so all you need is some skis. Maybe snowbarding with Glocks would be a good fit for today's youth. ;)
The rat tat tat games! I like it!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

View attachment 611417
When poker starts having a minimum skill requirement in order to put up your money to enter, let me know. Bowling and golf have a minimum skill requirement for a reaaon.

SlateMan

Registered
When poker starts having a minimum skill requirement in order to put up your money to enter, let me know. Bowling and golf have a minimum skill requirement for a reaaon.
Does the U.S. Open pool tourney have a minimum skill requirement or is the $750 all that is needed?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Does the U.S. Open pool tourney have a minimum skill requirement or is the $750 all that is needed?
No skill requirements are required for any pool tournaments for the most part, only thing required is your entry fee. I could have paid $750 for my 11 year old grandson to play in the US Open 9B event, and he's never touched a pool table before.

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dude, lay off the crack. You said in the post I quoted that he had ONE world championship appearance. Now you're acknowledging that he had 2 runner ups... He was also top 16 several times... Just Say NO...

Jaden
if you count doha i give it a half for each time

poolfire

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I don't think we should be playing anything big on anything other than 9 or ten footers. My favorite tables in order are: 10 foot diamond blue label, 9 foot diamond blue label/Ernesto tightened gold crown, 9 foot gold crown, any other 9 foot, diamond red label 9 foot, diamond blue label 7 foot, any other 7 foot.

9 foot blue label and an Ernesto/Oscar tightened gold crown are a toss up IMO. I don't like 9 foot red labels because of the way they bank. There isn't as big a difference in the way a 7 foot red label and a 7 foot blue label banks as there is in the 9 footers so I don't mind them as much as a 9 foot red label.

When I played on the ten foot blue label in Kansas city, that became my favorite table. I'd play on that all day long. I also liked the old 10 foot in hmmm. where is it. Somewhere in the midwest, pretty famous pool hall, you go down stairs to get to the pool hall... It'll come to me.

Jaden
It was at Raytown Recreation....On the 10 foot kling and allen....big bertha....I played you a few times if I remember right....