Uni-loc pin thread size?

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Trying to make my own uni-loc pin inserts.
Anyone know the thread size of the inside thread of the uni-loc insert?
Thought it was 3/8-11 but it is not.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to make my own uni-loc pin inserts.
Anyone know the thread size of the inside thread of the uni-loc insert?
Thought it was 3/8-11 but it is not.
This was asked before and the answer given was.
It's a modified 3/8x11.
Why make your own?
The inserts are perfect if the recieving part is done correctly.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
This was asked before and the answer given was.
It's a modified 3/8x11.
Why make your own?
The inserts are perfect if the receiving part is done correctly.
Michael ... you are questioning why I would want to make something?
Why make anything?
I could buy fully made cues from any online cue dealer and save a lot of time and money.
But I still choose make them.

If I need to justify my question then here is my answer.
I want to make some inserts from phenolic.

I did a search for Uni-loc inserts but did not see any answers to my question.
Thank you for answering it.

If a 3/8" - 11 thread is modified ... is it still called a 3/8 - 11?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why make anything?
I could buy fully made cues from any online cue dealer and save a lot of time and money.

Good answer.
A simple seach would have given you the same answer I did.
I asked a very simple basic question. Nothing wrong with making your own. You have plenty of time!
I said nothing to get your panties in a bunch.
But Hey.
If you think I challenged you in same way.
We have moderators here. Have at it.

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Good answer.
Are you drinking?
Michael ... did you search AZ before you asked this question?

Im a bit flattered that you wish to know about my personal life.
Actualy ... I have been drinking root beer all day.
The sugar free version.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael ... did you search AZ before you asked this question?

Im a bit flattered that you wish to know about my personal life.
Actualy ... I have been drinking root beer all day.
The sugar free version.
Hahahahaha
Ok willee
So the bottom line is,
You would like this Forum to be an open book for you but no one can ask you something?
Isn't that special!
I'll repeat
Hahahahahaha

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Michael, I came on here and asked a simple question.
You answered but felt you had to belittle me a bit because you thought I did not search for such an answer in the archives.
I did.
Why do you feel the need to make others feel small and stupid?

Then you asked me if I was drinking.
I see you deleted that post.
Did you really want to know that or was it another of your remarks designed to cast some insult toward me.

This is why I hardly ever bother to visit this site.
To many big egos trying to prove their superiority with with their witty reply's and putdowns.
And I used to have a lot of respect for you as a cue maker ... still do ... but as a person not so much.

You win the contest Michael.
You are much better at talking down to someone than I am.
You are smarter and and much more brilliant with your put downs.
The HAhahahahaha was genius!
Go get em ... Winner.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I don't see how a phenolic insert would survive with 2.5 threads .
PS. Thread gauges are less than $10.
All makers should have at least one.
Two if you work on metric stuff.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael, I came on here and asked a simple question.
You answered but felt you had to belittle me a bit because you thought I did not search for such an answer in the archives.
I did.
Why do you feel the need to make others feel small and stupid?

Then you asked me if I was drinking.
I see you deleted that post.
Did you really want to know that or was it another of your remarks designed to cast some insult toward me.

This is why I hardly ever bother to visit this site.
To many big egos trying to prove their superiority with with their witty reply's and putdowns.
And I used to have a lot of respect for you as a cue maker ... still do ... but as a person not so much.

You win the contest Michael.
You are much better at talking down to someone than I am.
You are smarter and and much more brilliant with your put downs.
The HAhahahahaha was genius!
Go get em ... Winner.
Stop your crying. I asked you a simple question. No disrespect at all.
Don't be an idiot.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Like this one Joey?
I agree ... have used it many times.

Uni-lock inserts are less than $7.00
Its not about saving money I just wanted to play around with a Phenolic insert to check it out.

Like you said ... there are only about 2.5 threads in the uni-lock pin and it is a bit hard to measure that but I did find that the 11 tooth guage looked like it fit well. Seemed to fit in the insert also.
I cut a small dowel, drilled and tapped it for 3/8 - 11 but found the threads fit way to tight to lock up properly.
I bored the threaded hole out a few thousands thinking the pin might be larger than 3/8".
Still wont fit properly.
So I came here hoping someone else had been there and done that and would share the knowledge.

threadguage.jpg

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried 3/8-11.5?
If you use the search function, I think you'll find a thread with the exact specifications.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Like this one Joey?
I agree ... have used it many times.

Uni-lock inserts are less than $7.00
Its not about saving money I just wanted to play around with a Phenolic insert to check it out.

Like you said ... there are only about 2.5 threads in the uni-lock pin and it is a bit hard to measure that but I did find that the 11 tooth guage looked like it fit well. Seemed to fit in the insert also.
I cut a small dowel, drilled and tapped it for 3/8 - 11 but found the threads fit way to tight to lock up properly.
I bored the threaded hole out a few thousands thinking the pin might be larger than 3/8".
Still wont fit properly.
So I came here hoping someone else had been there and done that and would share the knowledge.

View attachment 612931

The screw's pilot is .280.
The hole for the tap has to be a lot bigger than that .
There's good reason why those inserts are made by a cnc machine .

Last edited:

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why make anything?

If the major diameter of the thread is 3/8" and the pitch of the thread is 11 threads per inch, then yes is a 3/8-11. The problem is there are no standards in this industry. The fit of a thread is dependent on the pitch diameter and in a lot of pins its also the minor diameter. And I have found that the sizes are all over the place. Even the radial pin which I thought was a standard isn't consistent. Because of the the trend to carbon fiber shafts I have had to match up many different brands of shafts to cues I have built. The majority of manufactures offer a radial but they all fit different. The only way I can get a nice fit is if I use genuine radial pins and use the genuine radial tap and fit my own insert.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
If the major diameter of the thread is 3/8" and the pitch of the thread is 11 threads per inch, then yes is a 3/8-11. The problem is there are no standards in this industry. The fit of a thread is dependent on the pitch diameter and in a lot of pins its also the minor diameter. And I have found that the sizes are all over the place. Even the radial pin which I thought was a standard isn't consistent. Because of the the trend to carbon fiber shafts I have had to match up many different brands of shafts to cues I have built. The majority of manufactures offer a radial but they all fit different. The only way I can get a nice fit is if I use genuine radial pins and use the genuine radial tap and fit my own insert.
Radial is standard . The imported ones are fake radial.
3/8 11 has two kinds I know of . One is .308 minor and the other is the true SW clone with .3125 minor.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3/8 11 has two kinds I know of . One is .308 minor and the other is the true SW clone with .3125 minor.
I recently fitted both a Revo and Jacoby carbon shaft to cues I was building. I used genuine radial pins I purchased from Atlas. The fit on both was loose. The pins also vary in size depending on if you are using the g10 or stainless variety.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently fitted both a Revo and Jacoby carbon shaft to cues I was building. I used genuine radial pins I purchased from Atlas. The fit on both was loose. The pins also vary in size depending on if you are using the g10 or stainless variety.
The G10 and aluminum ones certainly are skinnier than the steel and brass ones.

Last edited:

It skid

Joey, which is the Radial standard? Tried the same shaft on a Jacoby cue's radial butt and a Predator Uniloc radial butt and the tighness is very much different.
It is more intriguing when one finds out Jacoby makes some Predator models.
Sure wish they would have a standard radial there.

senor_kasper

All of the bullet pin extension adapters I've seen are made of delrin type plastic, not even phenolic composite. They all have the inner thread cut right in the plastic, and they hold up very well for this specific occasional use type of situation. There would be no need to use a metal insert for that application. Say you want to adapt a bullet pin extension to a cue that has no need for weight bolts; you plug the butt and then, why cut a large thread (usually 16 mm) for the plastic insert that usually comes with the extension when you could cut only the smaller thread to accept the pin directly into the plastic (or phenolic) plug?

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
All of the bullet pin extension adapters I've seen are made of delrin type plastic, not even phenolic composite. They all have the inner thread cut right in the plastic, and they hold up very well for this specific occasional use type of situation. There would be no need to use a metal insert for that application. Say you want to adapt a bullet pin extension to a cue that has no need for weight bolts; you plug the butt and then, why cut a large thread (usually 16 mm) for the plastic insert that usually comes with the extension when you could cut only the smaller thread to accept the pin directly into the plastic (or phenolic) plug?
Must be a cheap molded plastic.
Getting cheaper.
The bullet screw also are much shorter than the original uniloc quick release screw.

Have fun
I'm not touching that one.