What is this cue worth?

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a serious note you are absolutely right!

“Smart people hire smarter people”

I heard that many years ago, it holds true. And it’s how I approach biz. I surround myself with specialized people who are better than me at their craft/trade or skill set. I’m never the “smart” guy.

What I do is organize the smart people-give them a roadmap and a deadline (when applicable) and let them loose. I follow up on everyone doing everything. I do nothing but make sure everyone is on track & make adjustments as needed. That’s a full time job in some cases. Doing nothing but overseeing people is a full time job-sounds funny but it is.

Hiring experts has a better ROI than hiring half assed laymen to do a half assed job at a discount.

That took me years to figure out then longer to perfect. Handling smart people is a skill as they have to trust me to make sure they have security a sense of direction and a solid future. I know how to provide that and I deliver. Then it feeds on itself.

I do hire some minimum wage people and there is more turnover in staff but that’s the nature of biz. Occasionally one breaks through and makes something of their life. That’s a great feeling for me and of course them as well.

Took me years to learn this, still learning. Not in the books either. Just practice and judgment.

Best
Fatboy <——-didn’t graduate college 😐
^^ should be a "sticky" post....lots of wisdom there.....

and oh yeah, nice cue, $300 give or take sounds fair. (y)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
On a serious note you are absolutely right!

“Smart people hire smarter people”

I heard that many years ago, it holds true. And it’s how I approach biz. I surround myself with specialized people who are better than me at their craft/trade or skill set. I’m never the “smart” guy.

What I do is organize the smart people-give them a roadmap and a deadline (when applicable) and let them loose. I follow up on everyone doing everything. I do nothing but make sure everyone is on track & make adjustments as needed. That’s a full time job in some cases. Doing nothing but overseeing people is a full time job-sounds funny but it is.

Hiring experts has a better ROI than hiring half assed laymen to do a half assed job at a discount.

That took me years to figure out then longer to perfect. Handling smart people is a skill as they have to trust me to make sure they have security a sense of direction and a solid future. I know how to provide that and I deliver. Then it feeds on itself.

I do hire some minimum wage people and there is more turnover in staff but that’s the nature of biz. Occasionally one breaks through and makes something of their life. That’s a great feeling for me and of course them as well.

Took me years to learn this, still learning. Not in the books either. Just practice and judgment.

Best
Fatboy <——-didn’t graduate college 😐
You sure said a heck of a lot there in only a few short sentences. Some people need to write a book to say as much! Smart words from a smart man! Now can I borrow 20 until the next time I see you? :LOL:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would tend to agree with the estimates made here. Jacoby makes a good cue at a good price and they hold their value fairly well. Depending on condition, I would place this cue between three and four hundred.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You sure said a heck of a lot there in only a few short sentences. Some people need to write a book to say as much! Smart words from a smart man! Now can I borrow 20 until the next time I see you? :LOL:
Thx Jay, I’m still working on my writing. It’s falling into place. However story telling is still a bit difficult for me-or writing a book. Long form stuff is a whole nother school of fish.

See Ya soon, I’m in Fla now, then off to SC and Atlanta and home.

Best
Fatboy 😀🦩

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Why dont they hold their value? Is it their construction ?
They weren't expensive cues to begin with, and at 3-400 it has held its value just fine. Most cues go down in value the day you buy them, especially when you can buy them from multiple retailers. Cues that go up have some collector value for whatever reason, jacoby's really don't have any collector value at all. Doesn't mean they are bad cues, they are actually very good players. Just because new cues have gone up in cost doesn't really make the old cues more valuable.