Ball in hand or not?

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player had ball in hand and while placing cue ball for his shot moved the 8 ball with his thumb. His opponent calls BIH foul. Rules book shows this as a placement type foul, but can be interpreted either BIH, or opponent places 8 ball back in its original position? We called it BIH for our league play and will keep it as it has set presidence.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For "cue ball fouls only", the CSI (BCAPL) rules are the best to go by unless local rules have all the details covered. Here is the relevant section of the CSI rules:

4. When placing or moving the cue ball, it is a foul if you touch or disturb any object ball with the cue ball or your hand that holds the cue ball. Your "hand" is defined as including the wrist up to a point where a wristwatch would normally be worn. Your opponent has no restoration option.

Fouls at eight ball result in ball in hand in all situations I can think of for CSI rules. Here are the general comments about fouls in the CSI rules:

1-21 Penalties for Fouls

1. If you commit a foul, or otherwise violate the rules, you are penalized according to the General Rules and the specific rules of the game being played.

2. Unless otherwise stated in the General Rules or specific game rules, if you commit a foul or otherwise violate the rules: your inning ends and your opponent receives ball in hand.

3. Some fouls specify a warning for the first offense during a match. However, if you continually commit such fouls from match to match, it may be considered Unsportsmanlike Conduct and the penalties for the first offense of those fouls may be more severe.

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you Bob. With ball in hand, the cue ball becomes part of the hand. I like how the hand is described up to the placement of a wristwatch. Also, any kind of billiards play should be governed by some sort of rules. Just my opinion.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fk APA. They do everything possible to water down the game.

In this case, even the APA is right, as long as you don't hit the ball with the cueball, moving a single ball prior to the shot during setup is not a foul when playing cueball fouls only which is a very common rule now. Moving the ball with the thumb the guy was a bit lucky since they could have tapped it with the cueball, and that is live even during ball in hand placement. The rule that Bob posted, I actually did not know about not being able to touch a ball with the hand holding the cueball, but I really can't fault the APA with the ruling here. Both rules make sense in a way.

Quite a few tournaments in my area have implemented a bit of a hybrid rule where moving any ball during the actual shot is a foul, however before the shot moving one ball is not a foul and the opponents has the option of moving it back or not.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fk APA. They do everything possible to water down the game.
You mean you don't like APA 9 ball? I never liked 9 ball much, you can suck on every shot, then piss in the 9, and win. APA you miss all other balls and piss in the 9 at least you lose,,,,,,,, but you get 2 points!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean you don't like APA 9 ball? I never liked 9 ball much, you can suck on every shot, then piss in the 9, and win. APA you miss all other balls and piss in the 9 at least you lose,,,,,,,, but you get 2 points!

It's funny but that is also the only thing I like a bit about APA, is that you don't get rewarded for a single mistake your opponent made to win a game (or I guess to get all the points). However, that is why there is also 8 ball which you do need to make all the balls AND the 8 to win vs just making the last few your opponent left you. If pool was only 9 ball, then winning on a single shot of 9 is pretty bad, but there are other options, really only 9 and 10 ball allows a stolen win from a good player, 8 ball, straight pool, one pocket work on both guys having to shoot their rack to win.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny but that is also the only thing I like a bit about APA, is that you don't get rewarded for a single mistake your opponent made to win a game (or I guess to get all the points). However, that is why there is also 8 ball which you do need to make all the balls AND the 8 to win vs just making the last few your opponent left you. If pool was only 9 ball, then winning on a single shot of 9 is pretty bad, but there are other options, really only 9 and 10 ball allows a stolen win from a good player, 8 ball, straight pool, one pocket work on both guys having to shoot their rack to win.
exactly, which is why, except for practice, I shoot about 90% one pocket.