keilwood for suckers

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cornerman mentioned skin and I vaguely recall that being brought up when I first asked. Surely though, a rigidly stroked ball should deflect more than a "properly" stroked one. (?)
Only if the skin was so thin and very little flesh under the skin such that when you grip, the bones are actually for all intents and purposes coupled to the butt by using a death grip. Otherwise, once you hit the cueball, the speed of sound down the cuestick would have the force reach your hand during tip contact, and the skin/flesh would give.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only if the skin was so thin and very little flesh under the skin such that when you grip, the bones are actually for all intents and purposed coupled to the butt by using a death grip. Otherwise, once you hit the cueball, the speed of sound down the cuestick would have the force reach your hand during tip contact, and the skin/flesh would give.

In other words it is a moot point because even people with “bad strokes” would fall inside normal parameters in the regard of stroke/grip rigidness having a deflection impact.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I make shafts and I shoot with them............ all the CF shafts I have shot with have deflected the cue ball more, when using left or right english, than any maple shaft........................ and I don't sell them as LD............. because I would be lying to my customers.......... please feel free to believe the lies that commercial shaft sellers tell you......................

Kim

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like listening to music when I'm playing, but not with headphones. Not to mention in most tournaments you're not allowed to even wear them.

I guess the sounds of the tip hitting the cue ball, cue ball hitting the object ball, and the object ball hitting the back of the pocket and rolling through the ball return is music to my ears

100% agree, I can't play with headphones on. I have to hear the cue hitting the tip. I personally don't like the dry/fragile sound of newer woods, that's why I prefer older cues with old maple. I would like to try a Kielwood shaft some day though, I heard they hit different.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
100% agree, I can't play with headphones on. I have to hear the cue hitting the tip. I personally don't like the dry/fragile sound of newer woods, that's why I prefer older cues with old maple. I would like to try a Kielwood shaft some day though, I heard they hit different.
Kielwood sounds different, but it's a great sound. It's more tonal, kind of a musical quality to it. More similar to older maple instead of those dry light weight jobs that come on cues nowadays. I hate hate hate how some of those light weight shafts sound, new maple just doesn't sound right.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only if the skin was so thin and very little flesh under the skin such that when you grip, the bones are actually for all intents and purposes coupled to the butt by using a death grip. Otherwise, once you hit the cueball, the speed of sound down the cuestick would have the force reach your hand during tip contact, and the skin/flesh would give.
Amazing. I guess I gotta defer to the engineers.

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  • I found this on the internet

• Kielwood® is the new generation of pool cue wood, specifically created for low deflection. It is a dark, hard rock maple that is harmonically stabilized for straightness. With traditional pie shaped shafts, each slice of the pie is susceptible to having a different reaction. Kielwood® is the solution to a continually straight and stable shaft.
oh wow!!!! I didn't realize that these shafts are "HARMONICALLY STABILIZED"........ just what does that techno babble mean and how does one accomplish that.................. they are more rigid but have less deflection??????? the two are mutually exclusive............. read a little and you will find that stiffer shafts always deflect the cue ball more............................. just more gimmicks for suckers that think more money for more expensive things will replace time and perseverance and practice.... practice .... practice
So just because you do not understand the technology, does not mean it's a fraud.
  • (Maple) No two shafts play exactly the same (lack of consistency).
  • The hit or feel based off of the cue makers taper again makes replication difficult (you need the cue makers taper and Maple).
  • The point of aim is different than the point of contact (more squirt).
  • LD shafts do help the average player shoot straighter.
  • Treated shafts may have additional warp resistance.
LD or KIELWOOD SHAFT DOWNSIDES

• They are expensive (sometimes double the cost of a plain Maple).
I felt like a sucker purchasing Maple shafts. So Maple shafts are for... I would never say that! Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
oh well my mistake.......... if it's harmonically stabilized............ I just gotta have one............................... I will probably beat SVB with it....................................

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I'm late to this party, but "more rigid" and "less (cueball) deflection" are not mutually exclusive. We've known this for quite a long time. Couple of decades. We also know today that a stiffer carbon fiber Revo still squirts/deflects the cueball very little, while it (the rigid CF shaft) moves less out of the way compared to its maple shaft, low deflection brethren.

A stiffer shaft doesn't always deflect the cueball more. Videos show this, which match the theory.
do you sell them????

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
do you sell them????
I don’t sell cues. I’m one of the longtime mechanical engineering forum posters who attempt to explain the mechanical physics of billiard-related things. I’ve helped many cue builders on this very subject, including my good friend, the late Royce Bunnell. His shaft designs ended up pretty on point.

If you have questions, please ask. You seem to have missed many in-depth discussions on this subject. Please ask. Or simply read Dr Dave’s well-presented articles on the subject.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kielwood sounds different, but it's a great sound. It's more tonal, kind of a musical quality to it. More similar to older maple instead of those dry light weight jobs that come on cues nowadays. I hate hate hate how some of those light weight shafts sound, new maple just doesn't sound right.

100% agree on new stuff, can't stand it. I have friends that buy cues and whenever I try one I hit a few balls and say nice cue but more than likely after the first hit I can't get it out of my hands fast enough. I've been meaning to start a thread in the builders forum about any known ways to "season" a cue, soak it in a chemical, etc. to a get better feel/sound (tonal is how I describe it to friends) out of it, I'm getting ready to build some shafts for a couple of my cues. But I haven't done enough research yet to ask the right questions.

And thanks for the info on the hit, that sounds exactly like what I was looking for, I'll have to buy some now. (y)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am i wrong in thinking that a Kielwood shaft should be more consistent throughout different conditions as it wouldn't change as much in humidity changes?
Not something you need to worry about. Any changes a shaft MIGHT go thru would be so miniscule you'd never notice it. I live in a state that has BIG humidity swings. Have NEVER noticed ANY differences due to weather/humidity swings.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I make shafts and I shoot with them............ all the CF shafts I have shot with have deflected the cue ball more, when using left or right english, than any maple shaft........................ and I don't sell them as LD............. because I would be lying to my customers.......... please feel free to believe the lies that commercial shaft sellers tell you......................

Kim
I guess Dr Dave is a liar too.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I don’t sell cues. I’m one of the longtime mechanical engineering forum posters who attempt to explain the mechanical physics of billiard-related things. I’ve helped many cue builders on this very subject, including my good friend, the late Royce Bunnell. His shaft designs ended up pretty on point.

If you have questions, please ask. You seem to have missed many in-depth discussions on this subject. Please ask. Or simply read Dr Dave’s well-presented articles on the subject.
Save your breath ... er ... fingers Freddie.

Dave