keilwood for suckers

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Agreed - that was actually the main reason I wanted to try roasted maple, as weird that might sound. The sound of a cue is one the biggest factors for me. I can't remember where I read this, but Dennis Searing once said that he could tell Mizerak was playing by the sound of the cue going through the cue ball and the sound of the OB into the pocket. Apocryphal, probably, but calls attention to the importance of well-constructed cue, a good stroke (in the Miz's case, one of the greatest), and the sound of a cue ball hitting dead center of the pocket. I think it was one of the TAR interviews with Searing.
Willie Hoppe had a blind admirer....he said the sound of Hoppe’s hits were sweeter than anybody else.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m glad I read this thread.....I’ve hit a few with a keilwood shaft...it felt nice to me.
I think I play with a similar shaft for one pocket...it’s a ‘68 Joss with a modified carom taper..12mm.
At 53 years old, it’s probably been dried to somewhat the consistency of keilwood....and it‘s brown.
...while I was getting terrified, it was getting torrified.
The empirical evidence is what I’ll be going with....I’ll try a few more of these shafts...probably buy a couple.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m glad I read this thread.....I’ve hit a few with a keilwood shaft...it felt nice to me.
I think I play with a similar shaft for one pocket...it’s a ‘68 Joss with a modified carom taper..12mm.
At 53 years old, it’s probably been dried to somewhat the consistency of keilwood....and it‘s brown.
...while I was getting terrified, it was getting torrified.
The empirical evidence is what I’ll be going with....I’ll try a few more of these shafts...probably buy a couple.
Maybe we just figured out why many people take old one piece bar sticks and make a two piece cue out of them.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Sound is very underrated here. It matters, the expectation of what you're about to hear, how it sounds when you hit it. I definitely think ears play a role in creating consistency.
Without sounding too woo woo I think sound also can be a trigger to help get in the zone, or at least give you one more positive thing to focus on. Sometimes that one sweet hit with that real sweet sound can start you on a real good run. I think the more one can get their senses involved the better it can be. At least if you're taking in what your senses are telling you, you are focused or at least comfortable with your surroundings.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ivory was not a gimmick, just a cheap readily available material back in the day. Before synthetic materials ivory was fairly common.

Ivory wasn't cheap or readily available, at least not in pool ball grade. I read recently that the average tusk could only have two or three pool balls made from it. I would think ferrules would be the same, maybe a dozen or so out of a tusk. Pool was going through ivory at such a pace that a $10,000 reward was put up to find a substitute. Several nice discoveries were made before working materials were found. Ornamental grade ivory was readily available, "structural" for lack of a better word, ivory was much harder to come by.

One pool cue with ivory from end to end, ferrule, joint, and buttcap, might use all of the structural ivory in one tusk. This explains the price from quality suppliers and builders, and why so much modern ivory is unsuitable for structural components of cues.

Hu

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Without sounding too woo woo I think sound also can be a trigger to help get in the zone, or at least give you one more positive thing to focus on. Sometimes that one sweet hit with that real sweet sound can start you on a real good run. I think the more one can get their senses involved the better it can be. At least if you're taking in what your senses are telling you, you are focused or at least comfortable with your surroundings.
I don’t think it woo at all. Sound is important to me at least. A part of the whole experience and when I’m hitting them well I get the feedback of sound and feel and focusing on them helps drop me into the zone.

Maybe I’ll check one of these out one day. I’ve got my eye on the torrefied adi J45 as well. One day

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Ivory wasn't cheap or readily available, at least not in pool ball grade. I read recently that the average tusk could only have two or three pool balls made from it. I would think ferrules would be the same, maybe a dozen or so out of a tusk. Pool was going through ivory at such a pace that a $10,000 reward was put up to find a substitute. Several nice discoveries were made before working materials were found. Ornamental grade ivory was readily available, "structural" for lack of a better word, ivory was much harder to come by.

One pool cue with ivory from end to end, ferrule, joint, and buttcap, might use all of the structural ivory in one tusk. This explains the price from quality suppliers and builders, and why so much modern ivory is unsuitable for structural components of cues.

Hu
I hate ivory in a cue....I don‘t like the hit of the joint or the ferrule. I bought a lot of top cues in the 70s and the 80s..
...had the ivory replaced. Even as inlays it’s unreliable...too subject to temperature and humidity.
I also hate brass ferrules that snooker players like. Ivory and brass are dinosaurs from a time when modern materials hadn’t been developed much.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
  • they are more rigid but have less deflection??????? the two are mutually exclusive............. read a little and you will find that stiffer shafts always deflect the cue ball more.............................
I'm late to this party, but "more rigid" and "less (cueball) deflection" are not mutually exclusive. We've known this for quite a long time. Couple of decades. We also know today that a stiffer carbon fiber Revo still squirts/deflects the cueball very little, while it (the rigid CF shaft) moves less out of the way compared to its maple shaft, low deflection brethren.

A stiffer shaft doesn't always deflect the cueball more. Videos show this, which match the theory.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm late to this party, but "more rigid" and "less (cueball) deflection" are not mutually exclusive. We've known this for quite a long time. Couple of decades. We also know today that a stiffer carbon fiber Revo still squirts/deflects the cueball very little, while it (the rigid CF shaft) moves less out of the way compared to its maple shaft, low deflection brethren.

A stiffer shaft doesn't always deflect the cueball more. Videos show this, which match the theory.
I think front and backhand grip are factors as well. I think since CF apparently provides quicker, more efficient transfer of energy, People might stroke more gingerly, thereby reducing deflection. (?)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

It's hard to visualize why stiffness doesn't matter much, but one thing we can visualize is that any shaft moves the same distance sideways while in contact with the CB: the amount it rotates during contact. A more flexible shaft may move more after contact with the CB, but squirt is produced during contact, so the difference isn't how much the tip moves, but how easily. That sounds like semantics, but I think the distinction might help with understanding the subtle dynamics.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

I make shafts and I shoot with them............ all the CF shafts I have shot with have deflected the cue ball more, when using left or right english, than any maple shaft........................ and I don't sell them as LD............. because I would be lying to my customers.......... please feel free to believe the lies that commercial shaft sellers tell you......................

Kim

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to visualize why stiffness doesn't matter much, but one thing we can visualize is that any shaft moves the same distance sideways while in contact with the CB: the amount it rotates during contact. A more flexible shaft may move more after contact with the CB, but squirt is produced during contact, so the difference isn't how much the tip moves, but how easily. That sounds like semantics, but I think the distinction might help with understanding the subtle dynamics.

pj
chgo
What happens if you hold the stick rigidly so the ball has to get completely out the way?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What happens if you hold the stick rigidly so the ball has to get completely out the way?
This is what happened with Iron Willie in the early tests during the Jacksonville Experiment, according to Bob Jewett.. Too rigid (abnormally rigid, nearly impossible by humans) tend to increase the contact time and squirt dramatically at even small tip offsets. They solved this problem by wrapping with bubble wrap so that the cue would be allowed to move in the robot grip. Our skin on our hands allows the cue stick to similarly move. You’d have to have rigid skin to grip so tightly to have the same effect as the death grip of a robot hand.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I make shafts and I shoot with them............ all the CF shafts I have shot with have deflected the cue ball more, when using left or right english, than any maple shaft........................ and I don't sell them as LD............. because I would be lying to my customers.......... please feel free to believe the lies that commercial shaft sellers tell you......................

Kim
20+ years we’ve been discussing the physics of this. Feel free to ask.