Johnny Archer's New Room

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl's nightmare
That would be fun to play on. You could do some neat stuff on that. Imagine coming in from a soft angle and using the curved corners to ride a cue ball or object ball around them and over somewhere else...maybe to make a hit or cut a hanger in.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My son and I went to Archers again Friday night and played on one of the 9 footers this time. The pockets are tight like the bar tables so I was not running out much. But the food was good again. My son got the hamburger steak and I got the shrimp dinner. Both were excellent and the portions were big. Johnny stopped by and said hello to us. Other than the new dress code for the servers and the song selections I was very happy. They have started dressing very skimpy to show their breasts, which I don't think is necessary. The mix of songs got over into some pretty vulgar language with the female hip hop singers. They rotate styles of music about every four or five songs from country to rap to rock to metal.The $10 per hour for the 9 footers and $7 per hour for the 7 footers seems plenty fair to me. It was fairly dead when we got there around 8 but was packed out by 9.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been known to appreciate the beauty of woman's form but it's weird when a restaurant makes it a theme. For one thing, it feels strange if I invite a woman there....
I had told some of my wifes ladies friends how good the hamburgers are there and were considering taking them there just to eat, but have changed my mind now. I think they would feel out of place.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I had told some of my wifes ladies friends how good the hamburgers are there and were considering taking them there just to eat, but have changed my mind now. I think they would feel out of place.
It sounds like it's not in the least a pool room, it's a dime a dozen sports bar you might find anywhere. In many cases populated with people that you wouldn't socialize with either.
Wouldn't it be great if this could come full circle and we'd be back to a place like, "This is Aims mister", a real pool room.

Last edited:

tomatoshooter

I haven't personally seen the uniforms, then again I also don't know what your wife's friends' comfort level is. There is some space between "presenting well" and "impossible for a man to not stare". There's not really a male equivalent that I'm aware of so I don't know exactly how I'd feel.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
they are making a business decision to cater to the male clientele at the expense of the female clientele.
or the owners think what they like the general public likes.

whether that is smart or not remains to be seen.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than hard core pool shooters that will want to go there no mater what, if the idea is to cater to men, it's a little short sighted. If you really want the men to show up, do what ever it takes to draw and appeal to women. If women are there, men will follow. I've never seen overly skimpy outfits be good for business in the long run. Give me a waitress with a good personality, and attentiveness and I'm a happy camper. One only has to watch Bar Rescue, and while a lot is scripted, bars with outfits that cater to a a women's breast is a loosing proposition.

tomatoshooter

Other than hard core pool shooters that will want to go there no mater what, if the idea is to cater to men, it's a little short sighted. If you really want the men to show up, do what ever it takes to draw and appeal to women. If women are there, men will follow. I've never seen overly skimpy outfits be good for business in the long run. Give me a waitress with a good personality, and attentiveness and I'm a happy camper. One only has to watch Bar Rescue, and while a lot is scripted, bars with outfits that cater to a a women's breast is a loosing proposition.
Hooters has done okay and there are other breastaurants, so I guess the business model works. I generally agree that drawing in the women will draw in the men but I don't know if a semi-pool room will ever draw enough women. I don't think I've ever seen a pool room more than 20% women. Maybe that would be a good angle, REALLY try to bring in women. Discounted tables for women, maybe group lessons with a female instructor. I know it's a lot easier to kibbutz than to actually run a business but it would be nice to see someone expand the market more than just capture part of the market. I also know that good intentions don't pay bills.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
no but the women wont let the kids go in. and wont want to go in as a group or with their husbands to watch him leer
at the waitress. or even try to keep him out of the place if he isnt a hard core pool player.

there seems to be more downsides to it than benefits if you want a family oriented or business crowd to frequent the place.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
no but the women wont let the kids go in. and wont want to go in as a group or with their husbands to watch him leer
at the waitress. or even try to keep him out of the place if he isnt a hard core pool player.

there seems to be more downsides to it than benefits if you want a family oriented or business crowd to frequent the place.
The only upside is for the waitress to hustle tips.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds like it's not in the least a pool room, it's a dime a dozen sports bar you might find anywhere. In many cases populated with people that you wouldn't socialize with either.
Wouldn't it be great if this could come full circle and we'd be back to a place like, "This is Aims mister", a real pool room.
It’s a sports bar with extra pool tables

It’s doing much better than expected

It’s not “finished” there will be more tables

Other “things” will be resolved

Glad to see it worked out VERY good.

The clientele are good people. No water drinkers, tweakers or riff raff. It feels safe to be there.

Not perfect either, give them time.

I know all the above bullet points first hand-not guessing about anything. I Can’t say much more now-but I will add that nothing is set in stone and improvements will be made. It’s not a place for kids.

JA is there everyday and looking to fix what’s broken. He’s not ignoring anything.

Best
Eric <———serious post here

Fatboy Approved

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Old school pool rooms I learned to play in one in the mid 60's in N.J.
7 9 foot Anniversary tables with slow cloth and composition balls.
Old school wooden phone booth with the mouth piece separate hanging from a cord.
1 pinball machine,no jute box.
Hardwood floors.
Gray peeling paint on the walls.
One bath room.
Soda and snacks only.
No females they were allowed but none came in.
Couple times a week a detective we called Vinnie the cop came in and looked the place over.
A few wise guys did hang out now and then,it was N.J. after all.
And only 50 cents per hour per player or 35 cents for 1/2 hour.
The houseman kept your starting time on notes clipped to a board.
Did they have an internet juke box?

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son and I went to Archers again Friday night and played on one of the 9 footers this time. The pockets are tight like the bar tables so I was not running out much. But the food was good again. My son got the hamburger steak and I got the shrimp dinner. Both were excellent and the portions were big. Johnny stopped by and said hello to us. Other than the new dress code for the servers and the song selections I was very happy. They have started dressing very skimpy to show their breasts, which I don't think is necessary. The mix of songs got over into some pretty vulgar language with the female hip hop singers. They rotate styles of music about every four or five songs from country to rap to rock to metal.The $10 per hour for the 9 footers and $7 per hour for the 7 footers seems plenty fair to me. It was fairly dead when we got there around 8 but was packed out by 9.
Let’s see some pics of the scantly clad female employees I can decide for myself if I should even entertain attending such an establishment. Or more correctly how quickly I should get there. I love redneck chicks in short skirts.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s a sports bar

I know all the above bullet points first hand-not guessing about anything. I Can’t say much more now-but I will add that nothing is set in stone and improvements will be made. It’s not a place for kids.

JA is there everyday and looking to fix what’s broken. He’s not ignoring anything.

Best
Eric <———serious post here

Fatboy Approved
They do have a kids menu. My suggestions would be clean up the vulgarity in the music a little and put the waitresses back in t shirts and it would be a little more family friendly. No one needs to hear the F word repeatedly in song in order to enjoy the music. The food, the quality of the pool tables, the high end furmishings and such make it inot necessary that the women servers dress like hooters ladies. For those wondering there are a lot of couples coming in there.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't personally seen the uniforms, then again I also don't know what your wife's friends' comfort level is. There is some space between "presenting well" and "impossible for a man to not stare". There's not really a male equivalent that I'm aware of so I don't know exactly how I'd feel.
They would be comfortable at Texas Road house which has a Bar in their restaurant and they would feel comfortable in church, but not at Hooters.