Earl @ Turning Stone

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So, do you think Earl is a good player or not?

I'm seriously confused what your thoughts are after reading your posts? In one post, you slam him saying his 408/480 is probably a lie (indicating he's nowhere near that good) and in another you say SVB is lucky to have beaten him.

Make up your freaking mind.
Even before Earl started I said he'd be lucky to run over 200, and he was that lucky, once in the entire week with a 238. How many times did SVB and Ruslan run over 200?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Earl is the show. There are only a handful I’d go out of my way to watch. He’s one of them.
Never once said watching Earl play 14.1 isn't entertaining, because he is. What I said was there's no way in hell he ran 408 or 480 playing 14.1 the way he played 14.1 in the high run event. It has nothing to do with age, it has to do with the knowledge of pattern playing, you don't forget how to play the patterns in 14.1 if you know how to play it, that's like trying to say Earl don't know how to play 9B because clearly to anyone who knows the game, EARL KNOWS HOW TO PLAY 9B, NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ymar
Are you stupid or what? 9B is in a completely different world than 14.1 buddy. I've NEVER said Earl wasn't one of the GREATEST 9B players in the world. What I said was there's no way in hell he ran in the 400's when he struggled so badly just to run over 200 ONCE in a week!!!

Roger, so at 60+ he's supposed to be able to run the same amount of balls as he did 30 years prior?

Do you have any examples of players running the same number 30 years apart? Inquiring minds want to know.

Seems to me, you're just so weak in the head you have to continually knock other people to make you look "special". Which, is a waste of time because we all think you're "special" already.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Roger, so at 60+ he's supposed to be able to run the same amount of balls as he did 30 years prior?

Do you have any examples of players running the same number 30 years apart? Inquiring minds want to know.

Seems to me, you're just so weak in the head you have to continually knock other people to make you look "special". Which, is a waste of time because we all think you're "special" already.
I'd be willing to bet you Nick Varner, Allen Hopkins, and Mike Segal could still put up some 200+ runs today in the same time frame Earl had, and they all have 10+ years on Earl, so suck it!

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've always enjoyed watching Earl play whether in person or televised. He is one of the few players who rose to prominence in the 80's, and is still playing today. Earl is considered one of the best 9 ball players of all time. He has won over 100 championship titles and has a high run of 408 in straight. Like him or not you can't dispute the talent.
I love the guy but can't stand his outbursts and antics. If someone coughs
he has a problem. Try hitting a 98 mph fastball or hitting a 3 pointer with capacity crowd
screaming

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I love the guy but can't stand his outbursts and antics. If someone coughs
he has a problem. Try hitting a 98 mph fastball or hitting a 3 pointer with capacity crowd
screaming
Earl was the only player to complain about the balls rolling off on the 14.1 table as well. Neither SVB or Ruslan said a word about table rolls.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I like that event because of the ban on jump cues which gives a guy like Earl an advantage because of his kicking expertise. If I was going to change anything it would be opponent racking. I suspect at least one player - not Earl - is slug racking.
Look, if your opponent is slug racking for you, then by God you'd better learn how to slug rack for him, because in order to pull out a win, sometimes you just need to learn how to out think, and out play your opponent, if you expect to pull out the win. If you don't learn those rules, and you think complaining is going to make things fair in the middle of a match, then you may just find no one wants to hear your complaints from the losers side, or when you're put out of the tournament because you FAILED to pull off the win!!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're aware that 60 year old man just missed winning his 7th Turning Stone event right? 2019 he took second in the same event to SVB winning it, and trust me when I say Shane got very lucky to have won it, because they were almost tied up when Shane got a lucky roll on the cue ball that pocketed the 9 for the win. It took two world class players to keep Earl from winning the Turning Stone event again.
Glen, Earl has won at Turning Stone just once (TSXXI in 2013). He also has one second-place finish (TSXXXII in 2019). The guys with 6 wins apiece are Archer and Van Boening, with Shaw now at 7.

Here's the full list of winners and runners-up: https://forums.azbilliards.com/thre...ers-and-runners-up.459038/page-4#post-7152820

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen, Earl has won at Turning Stone just once (TSXXI in 2013). He also has one second-place finish (TSXXXII in 2019). The guys with 6 wins apiece are Archer and Van Boening, with Shaw now at 7.

Here's the full list of winners and runners-up: https://forums.azbilliards.com/thre...ers-and-runners-up.459038/page-4#post-7152820
I started second guessing how many times Earl had won it, but then I forgot all about it, got distracted I guess. Its actually amazing that Earl has only won it once considering he's won the US Open 5 times.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started second guessing how many times Earl had won it, but then I forgot all about it, got distracted I guess. Its actually amazing that Earl has only won it once considering he's won the US Open 5 times.
It`s fun to make up statistics, the problem is you end up talking shit without knowing what you are talking about.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It`s fun to make up statistics, the problem is you end up talking shit without knowing what you are talking about.
Yeah, what ever, just another troll, there's no merit in your comment, just another stupid attack on me. This is exactly how threads get derailed, from people like you with your sarcasm!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look, if your opponent is slug racking for you, then by God you'd better learn how to slug rack for him, because in order to pull out a win, sometimes you just need to learn how to out think, and out play your opponent, if you expect to pull out the win. If you don't learn those rules, and you think complaining is going to make things fair in the middle of a match, then you may just find no one wants to hear your complaints from the losers side, or when you're put out of the tournament because you FAILED to pull off the win!!
Or the tournament should either use a template or rack your own to prevent the rack mechanics from dominating.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Or the tournament should either use a template or rack your own to prevent the rack mechanics from dominating.
And if not, then learn to rack like your opponent, and win from there, IF you have the skills to do so.
So it's ok to cheat?

And people wonder why the billiards industry is looked down on by the general population.
Look in your mirror, there's your answer!