Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Much is in flux at this point.

The primary objective now is to certify the run, then we'll look at the future. But Bobby has said he wants a 14.1 event to go on for a long time. What that looks like is not knowable at this time. Who knew a player would bust the record so soon?! So right now it is all about Jayson and his accomplishment. No one should want to take anything away from that.

Lou Figueroa
Watching these attempts to break the 14.1 record is like ground hog day. While I started of in 1960 playing stra pool and rotation I don’t want to watch it, how sausage is made or how laws are passed.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I think the big difference is Bolt had $20M+ sponsorship deals and NBC (or whoever) paid millions to broadcast his event on the premise they would generate even more in advertising revenue. Shaw and Bobby have none of those things.
agreed... And I'll go further and say it's not Bobby, Jayson, or John's responsibility to increase interest in the game. Although if there was more interest maybe it wouldn't be so hard to earn enough to buy a coffee.

Guess we're back to chicken .vs. egg
I'm hopeful the 714 doesnt turn into a clown show and Bobby finds a good way monetize the video so that lots of people can easily see it.
So do I... He stands a greater chance of pulling some coin out of my pocket then John did. No hate on John. For some odd reason I just view the 'come one, come all' aspect of his event as more interesting than the recorded practice sessions of John's

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
714 is done. that record stands for highest on a pool table.

next lets have the high record on a commercially made tournament used pool table with the standard equipment.
this way anyone can try to beat it at their own pool room if they dont fudge the equipement. or at any tournament. which now then could have a big prize or a high run tournament and draw crowds to it.

and i wish willie mosconi was around in his prime to be offered a great deal of money and unlimited time and see what he could run. and i bet some eyes would pop out of peoples head. even lou would agree i hope.

kanzzo

hobby player
What makes you think anyone will be allowed to play on the same table after John set a new record again?

You have a difficult way of pushing your point sometimes (or let's say often ;) ) and you make funny mistakes (like writing John instead of Jayson above) but I think I get your point overall (this time) and I think you are right (this time).

If other players want to break Jayson's record they should have a fair chance meaning their table should be of exact same difficulty. Regulations are needed to know, how to set up a table so the new record can be compared with the actual one.

If John Schmidt wants to break the record, he doesn't need to get invited by The Legends of Pocket Billiards. All he needs is a table and a camcorder (better two from different angles). But he needs to know the specifications of the table. Otherwise, here I agree with you, you can always find a table mechanic to make the pockets bigger and easier.

If Legends make their pockets 5 1/4 '' (looks this way on some photos) while John's table had only 5'', who is to say next record won't be made on 5 1/2'' pockets and the one after on 6'' pockets? It probably will backfire on some pocketsize with too many scratches on the break to make bigger runs more difficult again, but I don't want to find out, what this pocket size would be.

So I totally agree with having this contest on an easy GC III with 5'' pockets. This is how Straight Pool was played for over 20 years (US Open Straight Pool 1989, 1992, 2000 (on GC IV), Maine Event 1995), Mosconi had his run on an easy table and John ran his 626 on the easiest table he could find (5'' pockets, seemingly comparable to the GC III from Legends).

But seemingly and in the same ballpark is not the same as "it was exactly the same difficulty". And if 5 1/4'' is seemingly the same as 5'' and 5 1/2'' is ok, if 5 1/4'' was, then .... you get the picture.

So Lou can keep repeating "You don't like the way we make it, make your own event" but for official World Records some official agreement on table specifications is needed. It wasn't available before. When John went for the record, he was the first in over 50 years and no one cared how he did it and from Mosconi we don't have the specifications.

But if there is more interest now and if people want to challenge the 714, we need to know the equipment without fearing some Frankenstein tables with 7'' pockets.

Last edited:

kanzzo

hobby player

next lets have the high record on a commercially made tournament used pool table with the standard equipment.
this way anyone can try to beat it at their own pool room if they dont fudge the equipement. or at any tournament. which now then could have a big prize or a high run tournament and draw crowds to it.

and i wish willie mosconi was around in his prime to be offered a great deal of money and unlimited time and see what he could run. and i bet some eyes would pop out of peoples head. even lou would agree i hope.

kinda same idea, was to slow with my post...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
And then Jayson Shaw, or any number of other players, will come in and beat that record on a similar table. Then, you'll be right back on here saying it was the lighting and then it was the cloth, and then it was...well, you get the idea.

Some players are just better than others, get over it ;)
Only difference being, instead of streaming live to Facebook, we'll stream it live to YouTube, that way John can get paid for the viewing clicks BEFORE anyone can load
kinda same idea, was to slow with my post...
And then we're right back to the main reason this event even had players showing up, incentive, a FINANCIAL incentive! Think about that for a minute. No one PAID John to break the record, he did that on his own, NO FINANCIAL REWARD, NO POT OF GOLD AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW!

Now who's going to step up, play their ass off for a week or so, just to break Jayson's 714, if there's no reward for doing so?????

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
no, i think both johns were applauded for their greatness. and the equipment was questioned as it should be in any world breaking record.

the question remains was this equipment standard or close enough to it to be a fair test.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

it's not done though. filler probably considers himself the best straight pool player on the planet and he's gonna want a try to best jayson.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
So I totally agree with having this contest on an easy GC III with 5'' pockets. This is how Straight Pool was played for over 20 years (US Open Straight Pool 1989, 1992, 2000 (on GC IV), Maine Event 1995), Mosconi had his run on an easy table and John ran his 626 on the easiest table he could find (5'' pockets, seemingly comparable to the GC III from Legends).
Exactly... The talk of 4.5" or less doesn't hold water for me. That's not straight pool...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I guarantee everyone, Jayson Shaws biggest incentive to break John's 626 wasn't to actually break it. I think when he left, he realized he left the door open for someone else to come along and break the record, and get PAID!!!

No, Jayson's determination was that if ANYONE was going to get paid, it was going to be HIM, and by turning around, and going back, he was more determined than ever to collect that PAY, and wasn't going to quit until he got it, NO MATTER how long it was going to take!!!!! It was STILL his turn at the record, and he DIDN'T WANT to take the risk of someone else getting what he had already worked so hard to get. That's the INCENTIVE that drove his DETERMINATION to break the record, a once in a lifetime opportunity to get paid,!!!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
it's not done though.
Nope... and not just this event.

If someone was trying to entice a top player to grind out for months like John needed to, to break the 526. They'd be told to kick stones. However, and not to belittle Shaw's incredible play, but having him bang it off within a handful of days puts it on other's radars for something to give a kick at.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
That remains to be seen, the goal of breaking John Schmidt's record has been fulfilled!!😉
Extremely good point... Now that the race to be first has been completed. What's left to bring in other sharp shooters...? I think it will take a bit more than just bragging rights over Jayson to have people pencil it into their travel plans.

kanzzo

hobby player
Think about that for a minute. No one PAID John to break the record, he did that on his own, NO FINANCIAL REWARD, NO POT OF GOLD AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW!

Now who's going to step up, play their ass off for a week or so, just to break Jayson's 714, if there's no reward for doing so?????
You are too jumpy with your arguments and here you are wrong.

No money in the world will get any player to beat the record. Because it's too tough and such great accomplishments are impossible with external motivation alone. Playing 2600 balls in a day and coming back to play the whole night was not because of the money. Neither was it for John Schmidt.

I would try to break the record with no financial initiative (so this is at least one example to prove your point wrong), though my chances are very slim :)

Money is a nice side effect and I am happy for John and for Jayson if they can make some bucks with their great accomplishments but people don't play pool because of the money as the single and most important initiative (but because they love the game and love the competition and want to be the best) and they don't become great in pool because of the money.

And everyone is free to do whatever he wants with his money. If someone loves the sport and wants to support great players playing straight pool, then hell yes, this is the best thing that could happen to the sport I fell in love with over 20 years ago. (And still am :love: )

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
it's not done though. filler probably considers himself the best straight pool player on the planet and he's gonna want a try to best jayson.
I hope this is true. They haven’t announced clear plans yet. In theory, it shouldn’t be done because they had been referring to 768 as the record. So 714 is a bit shy of that.

kanzzo

hobby player
I guarantee everyone, Jayson Shaws biggest incentive to break John's 626 wasn't to actually break it. I think when he left, he realized he left the door open for someone else to come along and break the record, and get PAID!!!

No, Jayson's determination was that if ANYONE was going to get paid, it was going to be HIM, and by turning around, and going back, he was more determined than ever to collect that PAY, and wasn't going to quit until he got it, NO MATTER how long it was going to take!!!!! It was STILL his turn at the record, and he DIDN'T WANT to take the risk of someone else getting what he had already worked so hard to get. That's the INCENTIVE that drove his DETERMINATION to break the record, a once in a lifetime opportunity to get paid,!!!

possible. Not quite my view but possible scenario.

But absolutely legitimate from everyone participated. Putting up cash to promote a sport, getting a peak perfomance out of you to became Nr1.

Records are there to be broken...

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I didn't! Maybe, being a 3C player, I'll set up a 3C table and try to break the high-run record, (in practice) on a 5'x10' table of 32 consecutive points! If the MONEY is RIGHT!
Make sure you tell everyone what you got paid though...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You are too jumpy with your arguments and here you are wrong.

No money in the world will get any player to beat the record. Because it's too tough and such great accomplishments are impossible with external motivation alone. Playing 2600 balls in a day and coming back to play the whole night was not because of the money. Neither was it for John Schmidt.

I would try to break the record with no financial initiative (so this is at least one example to prove your point wrong), though my chances are very slim :)

Money is a nice side effect and I am happy for John and for Jayson if they can make some bucks with their great accomplishments but people don't play pool because of the money as the single and most important initiative (but because they love the game and love the competition and want to be the best) and they don't become great in pool because of the money.

And everyone is free to do whatever he wants with his money. If someone loves the sport and wants to support great players playing straight pool, then hell yes, this is the best thing that could happen to the sport I fell in love with over 20 years ago. (And still am :love: )
Congratulations, you've been playing pool for 20 years now, I've only been playing for 55 years.

It took MONEY to break the record, its going to take MONEY everytime it gets broken again, and again, unless you honestly believe no one can get past 714, I really, really hope you don't believe that!!