Taom Chalk

mrpiper

Registered
I'm playing with a round of taom now.... Not impressed.. buyers remorse
Agreed. Mine came yesterday. Although what I got was Pyro / Blue rather than V10 Green. I see about the same amount of chalk on the Aramith Tournament cue ball as before. Maybe it's just a little better. DEFINITELY plenty of chalk on the Centennial Cue Ball I also tried. Before using the chalk, I cleaned and then scuffed my tip to remove all of the previous chalk. After a couple of hours of play, I don't really see $20 worth of performance difference. Don't get me wrong, it's great chalk. Goes on smoothly and gives excellent coverage. I chalk about every 4 to 5 shots and it holds up well. As far as serving the purpose it's great. As far as not transferring to to the cue ball, or being noticeable on the cloth, it's very little improvement over the Silver Cup chalk I have used for years. I will use it until it's gone of course, but I doubt I will be a repeat buyer. I had great hopes after the countless wonderful reviews. I just don't see it.

Last edited:

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it sounds great for clean hands and cueball. but the chalk that comes off your tip if it isnt in tiny puffs left on the cloth , then it means it comes off in very tiny hard pieces which are on your cloth. the balls have to roll over that.

try a magnifying glass to see if they are there. they have to be somewhere. its impossible unless they go flying off the table on to the floor.
Yep, you have noticed the same thing, no granules of chalk laying around and embedded into the cloth. This was what I posted about earlier that when following the cue ball that is was much more precise when doing so. Not only was the cue ball cleaner and following down table more precisely , ( no hops or skids) but there now no granules of chalk in the cloth for the balls to pick up and have the residue on them Every thing rolls truer, at least it seem so to me.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Mine came yesterday. Although what I got was Pyro / Blue rather than V10 Green. I see about the same amount of chalk on the cue ball as before. Before using the chalk, I cleaned and then scuffed my tip to remove all of the previous chalk. After a couple of hours of play, I don't really see $20 worth of performance difference. Don't get me wrong, it's great chalk. Goes on smoothly and gives excellent coverage. I chalk about every 4 to 5 shots and it holds up well. As far as serving the purpose it's great. As far as not transferring to to the cue ball, or being noticeable on the cloth, it's very little improvement over the Silver Cup chalk I have used for years. I will use it until it's gone of course, but I doubt I will be a repeat buyer. I had great hopes after the countless wonderful reviews. I just don't see it.
Are you playing on a table at home, or in a room where they are using Masters ? The difference is as follows. If your playing at home, vacuum your table a couple of times, then wipe down with a damp cloth and let the cloth dry out for about 1 hour. This will get most of the old chalk off the table. Then clean all the balls with the aramith cleaner . If your still seeing the mes on the cue ball , wouldn't know what to say too ya. Only thing I can add, been using the stuff for a little over 2 weeks or more and haven't had to clean the cue ball or the balls since. Table stays clean and I haven't seen a skid happen with this stuff , not one ioutta of one. If your playing in a room where they are still using masters and the remnents of the chalk in embedded in the cloth,yep,,it's gonna stay messy and your hands will show it, but this new chalk isn't causing it..Hope that helps

mrpiper

Registered
I'm not complaining. This is the smoothest and best applying chalk I have used. Seems to play very well. Maybe better as some have said, but I'm not certain yet. I just don't see a drastic difference in chalk on the ball and table. Better? Yes, some, but not that I would make such great claims about as others here have. I just don't think I will pay $20 for a piece of chalk in the future. To each his own. I'm glad I tried it, I just don't see as much value as many others here have.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I'm not complaining. This is the smoothest and best applying chalk I have used. Seems to play very well. Maybe better as some have said, but I'm not certain yet. I just don't see a drastic difference in chalk on the ball and table. Better? Yes, some, but not that I would make such great claims about as others here have. I just don't think I will pay $20 for a piece of chalk in the future. To each his own. I'm glad I tried it, I just don't see as much value as many others here have.

Do you seem to Draw better with the Toam premium Chalk, or find it easier to get Spin on C/B?

Those were two thing I noticed.

mrpiper

Registered
Do you seem to Draw better with the Toam premium Chalk, or find it easier to get Spin on C/B?

Those were two thing I noticed.
With draw and follow I haven't seen a great difference but I chalk well after each shot when I use my regular "Silver Cup" chalk. I'm a solid, but far from professional player, so I am probably not the best person to comment on that. Here are the POSITIVE things I have noticed...
1.) I chalk about every 4 or 5 shots instead of before each shot, so I use LESS chalk, and so it is clearly cleaner. It's just not as much as I hoped based on all I read here.
2.) Smoothest and best tip coverage of any chalk I have used before. It does a great job.
3.) I have a Lucasi BB2 Break cue that has a ROCK for a tip. This chalk covers it with ease. There is a definite advantage of TAOM Pyro on my break cue over any other chalk.

mrpiper

Registered
Are you playing on a table at home, or in a room where they are using Masters ? The difference is as follows. If your playing at home, vacuum your table a couple of times, then wipe down with a damp cloth and let the cloth dry out for about 1 hour. This will get most of the old chalk off the table. Then clean all the balls with the aramith cleaner . If your still seeing the mes on the cue ball , wouldn't know what to say too ya. Only thing I can add, been using the stuff for a little over 2 weeks or more and haven't had to clean the cue ball or the balls since. Table stays clean and I haven't seen a skid happen with this stuff , not one ioutta of one. If your playing in a room where they are still using masters and the remnents of the chalk in embedded in the cloth,yep,,it's gonna stay messy and your hands will show it, but this new chalk isn't causing it..Hope that helps
Yes, my home table. I own a Clean Gleem cleaner so I cleaned the balls before I started because I wanted to be certain that ANY chalk mark on the cue or object balls was the result of the TAOM and not something left over. I did not clean the cloth, but I will vacuum it up this evening and keep an eye on it. Nobody wants this to work and be super clean more than me. It's better if for no other reason than I chalk every 4 or 5 shots rather than after every shot. I just don't think its enough difference to be worth the price at this point. That's all.

TonyB2377

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a round from Amazon and so far not impressed. I had more miscues than I think I have ever had in a 3 hour practice session using it. I was a little out of stroke today but that shouldn't account for all my miscues. It did seem to go on OK but there is no way I could go a entire rack without chalking. I will give it another try tomorrow to see how it works for me. I normally use Blue Diamond and bought the V10 because of the reviews in this thread.

I will say the round does fit nicely into the square holder on the Shark holder.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread convinced me to get a piece of V10 for myself & one for a friend who owns a table and was complaining about cleaning his cloth. This stuff is literally amazing. I go thru a couple of racks and look at my tip and it looks like I just chalked it. And NOTHING on the cue ball. My buddy tried it at home and was equally impressed. If I don't lose it somehow, this 1 pc. is going to last me a couple years, and I play a fair amt of pool year-round