Best Custom Leather Case Makers?

tabi1

Registered
Depends on what you are looking for. I think Ron Thomas, Rusty Melton and Jack Justice would all be at the top of the list if you are wanting a custom case. I have several leather cases from Myth Leather LDA, out of Portugal. Hit him up (Pedro - owner of Myth Leather LDA) I am sure he can accommodate you for whatever you need.

Here's some pics of the Myth cases he has made me so far. He is very versatile and does everything from plain jane, custom hand painted theme cases, heavily tooled, and exotic leathers like Elephant Ear, Hippo, and such.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/myth-envelope.524793/#post-6842258

https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/myth-leather-special-envelopes.524798/#post-6842314

https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/myth-leather-hippo-case.524792/#post-6842255

https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/myth.518290/#post-6753397

Last edited:

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Love my whitten. Joe is by far one the best people i have worked with.

King cases are amazingly well done. His artistry is amazing.

phreaticus

Won't take any position on "best", but Dinko2222 is a relatively new comer that is definitely worth mentioning. Amazing work, distinctive style, very high quality, out of Croatia. Several threads around AZB with examples of his work, here is one. Cheers

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Have someone use bridal hide. That’s the heaviest leather there is. Impossible to wear out.
It also means that the case will be very very heavy. That leather is very difficult to work with and while it certainly would be very hard to wear out it makes the case less practical. We have achieved amazing durability with the various leather types we use through a variety of techniques that we use depending on the leather type.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I will make a observation about Whittens, they are Chromed Tanned Leather.

JBCases, Dinko, Dennis Swift, Jack Justice and few others use Vegetable Tanned Leather. Like Saddles are made of, they are more bullet proof, and will not get surface damage from a little scuff.

Vegetable tanned Id what you use to accomplish functional art.

Best is like Fried Chicken, best of these three? Everyone has favorite.

Popeyes, KFC, religious chicken Churches.💡

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It also means that the case will be very very heavy. That leather is very difficult to work with and while it certainly would be very hard to wear out it makes the case less practical. We have achieved amazing durability with the various leather types we use through a variety of techniques that we use depending on the leather type.
That leather is BRUTAL to work with. But it might last 200 years. And yes weigh 200 pounds.

Hope your good JB💪😀

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

J💡

That is not exactly true. Joe uses many types of leathers some are chromed tanned and some are vegetable tanned. He uses 3 to 3.5 oz leathers for the most part in his construction, which are thinner than say what Jim Murnak uses. I have not found the vegetable tanned upholstery leathers he uses to be any better or worse than veg tanned leather in terms of durability.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
That is not exactly true. Joe uses many types of leathers some are chromed tanned and some are vegetable tanned. He uses 3 to 3.5 oz leathers for the most part in his construction, which are thinner than say what Jim Murnak uses. I have not found the vegetable tanned upholstery leathers he uses to be any better or worse than veg tanned leather in terms of durability.

Will I had a Whitten great Case, I knew I should be careful with.

Because of it being thin leather, great case.

tabi1

Registered

JBCases, Dinko, Dennis Seift, Jack Justice and few others use Vegetable Tanned Leather. Like Saddles are made of, they are more bullet proof, and will not get surface damage from a little scuff.

Vegetable tanned Id what you use to accomplish functional art.

Best is like Fried Chicken, best of these three? Everyone has favorite.

Popeyes, KFC, religious chicken Churches.💡
That case in the video always gets me on the edge to pull the trigger. I have a JB 4x8 leather butterfly (burgundy and black) which i love and I really love this one. There's also a black/gold version to that's sweet.