Best Custom Leather Case Makers?

tabi1

Registered
My current case and a photo of one I am currently having made.
View attachment 652526
View attachment 652527
Love the one on top, I definitely need to try a Whitten. But right now I need cues not cases as I have too many cases and not enough cues. I am still trying to figure out how that happened :p.

On a side note you guys with the heavily tooled fancy cases do you take them out to the pool hall with you or are you like me pretty much just storage? I have some fancy cases that I find myself too embarrassed to take out as my game isn't up to the level of the case, lol.

Last edited:

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Love the one on top, I definitely need to try a Whitten. But right now I need cues not cases as I have too many cases and not enough cues. I am still trying to figure out how that happened :p.

On a side note you guys with the heavily tooled fancy cases do you take them out to the pool hall with you or are you like me pretty much just storage? I have some fancy cases that I find myself too embarrassed to take out as my game isn't up to the level of the case, lol.
I shoot pool 4 nights a week and my case goes with me every night.

tabi1

Registered
Understandable, i am home only a few weeks at a time usually two or three times max throughout the year so when i do get home i play at the house mostly and occasionally at a local watering hole but my game sucks so bringing in the fancy cases just doesn't fit my ability. Maybe if my game was better i wouldn't mind breaking out one of the nice cases.

Last edited:

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a Whitten for over 20 years. Great quality cases. I've been looking into getting a new one but I've heard that he has an 18 month wait right now. Right now I'm looking into a JB rugged case.
He does have an expedited option which is shorter and it comes with a couple upgrades that make it pretty reasonable. Not sure what current expedited delivery is. He goes from time to time sell completed cases on his site.

Zerksies

He does have an expedited option which is shorter and it comes with a couple upgrades that make it pretty reasonable. Not sure what current expedited delivery is. He goes from time to time sell completed cases on his site.
Just posted a 7x14 for about $1800. It’s extremely nice. But it’s going to cost me a ton of $$ to fill that case.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about the J&J 4x8 black aligater case for......... $179 with free shipping from Ebay. Its tough as nails, stands up with the lid open and holds my cues. I'm asking WHY spend money on a case? I'd rather spend money on great cues.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
How about the J&J 4x8 black aligater case for......... $179 with free shipping from Ebay. Its tough as nails, stands up with the lid open and holds my cues. I'm asking WHY spend money on a case? I'd rather spend money on great cues.
some ask why spend money on a cue, when the pool room has plenty to use for free,,,,,,
seen road players bust the entire room with a cue from the rack

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
What if you knew that that interior of a lot of "cheap" cases were damaging to your cues? Would that make a difference in your choice of case?

Because that's actually a fact that the interiors of many knockoffs and other cheap cases are dangerous to cues.

One would think that every case maker would get the interior right first and then build the case around that. But in fact many of them don't. Including the brand you mentioned.

Here are some videos where I expose the inadequate and dangerous interiors in the cheap knockoff. a person had a cheap knockoffs.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
What if you knew that that interior of a lot of "cheap" cases were damaging to your cues? Would that make a difference in your choice of case?

Because that's actually a fact that the interiors of many knockoffs and other cheap cases are dangerous to cues.

One would think that every case maker would get the interior right first and then build the case around that. But in fact many of them don't. Including the brand you mentioned.
J & J 4 x 8 cases are so much better than what you demonstrated. Lighter without leather. Here is a picture of the top inside of my J & J 4 x 8 case. Everything is totally safe and nothing is touching. Costs $179 on Ebay. I love how it stands next to my chair and so I put my cues in the holes (break cue, jump cue and shooting cue) when it's not my turn. How many cues have been broken by leaning them up somewhere. I love mine and I'll keep mine.

Attachments

• IMG_6488.jpg
    IMG_6488.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

TrxR

J & J 4 x 8 cases are so much better than what you demonstrated. Lighter without leather. Here is a picture of the top inside of my J & J 4 x 8 case. Everything is totally safe and nothing is touching. Costs $179 on Ebay. I love how it stands next to my chair and so I put my cues in the holes (break cue, jump cue and shooting cue) when it's not my turn. How many cues have been broken by leaning them up somewhere. I love mine and I'll keep mine.
I do the same thing with my JB 4x8 ultimate rugged case. I also use it to carry my cues from table to table during the night.

I got lucky and won mine in a raffle so have less than 100 invested.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I do the same thing with my JB 4x8 ultimate rugged case. I also use it to carry my cues from table to table during the night.

I got lucky and won mine in a raffle so have less than 100 invested.
Great for you. JB isn't going to like this.....

PRGeno

Registered
Great for you. JB isn't going to like this.....
JB doesn't seem to like much of anything, including selling cases apparently.

No stock in his web store or his past resale outlets, zero communications with custom case customers (existing or potential), and apparently no ongoing support anymore as all methods of communication goes unanswered. He has an occasional FB auction, but otherwise he's completely disappeared from the case market and seems to have lost any interest in continuing his business operations.

He's always been pretty ornery and difficult to work with, but at least he use to actually make really nice cases. For some reason he's now just ornery, difficult, and only shows up on rare occasions to criticize others. Such a shame.

Maybe he retired too, and just didn't tell anyone.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
JB doesn't seem to like much of anything, including selling cases apparently.

No stock in his web store or his past resale outlets, zero communications with custom case customers (existing or potential), and apparently no ongoing support anymore as all methods of communication goes unanswered. He has an occasional FB auction, but otherwise he's completely disappeared from the case market and seems to have lost any interest in continuing his business operations.

He's always been pretty ornery and difficult to work with, but at least he use to actually make really nice cases. For some reason he's now just ornery, difficult, and only shows up on rare occasions to criticize others. Such a shame.

Maybe he retired too, and just didn't tell anyone.

The website could definitely use an update. Especially to make people aware of the current situation.

He has stated it has been easier to do the auctions on FB than to keep up with constantly updating the website with current stock. He is actually seems to be pretty busy filling orders and does Weekly(ish) video showcases on YouTube.

If you want to order a case, use the designer on the site to get what you want or call/email to see if they have what you are looking for in stock.

I'm sure there are plenty products we use all the time with company owners we would not relate to. He makes a great product, and I have had no problems with the service for any of my orders. I don't care if he is a bit ornery at times, I live with his product not him.

PRGeno

Registered
The website could definitely use an update. Especially to make people aware of the current situation.

He has stated it has been easier to do the auctions on FB than to keep up with constantly updating the website with current stock. He is actually seems to be pretty busy filling orders and does Weekly(ish) video showcases on YouTube.

If you want to order a case, use the designer on the site to get what you want or call/email to see if they have what you are looking for in stock.

I'm sure there are plenty products we use all the time with company owners we would not relate to. He makes a great product, and I have had no problems with the service for any of my orders. I don't care if he is a bit ornery at times, I live with his product not him.
Yea, I understand everyone has their quirks and idiosyncrasies. But my experience with JB hasn't been nearly as fruitful as yours.

I've been respectfully trying to buy a custom leather from him for over 18 months. I was very excited to work with him on some interesting customizations, then disappointed to have to beg for responses, and now completely apathetic. Communication was spotty in the beginning, then non-existent. Apologies and promises were occasionally made, but never fulfilled or followed up.

For the past six or so months there has been no response to any inquiries about the possibility of making my case. I send a message every now and then just to let him know I'm still alive, but I never get anything in return, and I have no illusions about ever seeing my custom case ever made.

At least we never got past the customization design phase so I'm not out any money. I couldn't possibly ever recommend JB to anyone at this point, and would strongly suggest against sending any money in advance for anything.

Sad, very sad

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea, I understand everyone has their quirks and idiosyncrasies. But my experience with JB hasn't been nearly as fruitful as yours.

I've been respectfully trying to buy a custom leather from him for over 18 months. I was very excited to work with him on some interesting customizations, then disappointed to have to beg for responses, and now completely apathetic. Communication was spotty in the beginning, then non-existent. Apologies and promises were occasionally made, but never fulfilled or followed up.

For the past six or so months there has been no response to any inquiries about the possibility of making my case. I send a message every now and then just to let him know I'm still alive, but I never get anything in return, and I have no illusions about ever seeing my custom case ever made.

At least we never got past the customization design phase so I'm not out any money. I couldn't possibly ever recommend JB to anyone at this point, and would strongly suggest against sending any money in advance for anything.

Sad, very sad
You used a lot of words to say very little.? Did you pay for design time? .
"If you require design assistance you may purchase design time from us here. BUY DESIGN TIME"

The website has tools to mock up and build a case and then there is dozens of previous made case pictures to choose from. So you pick a style or previous pattern and then email pictures of your custom idea. OR BUY DESIGN TIME

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JB cases is selling live on Facebook every couple of weeks, watch his facebook page.
He's getting good money doing it that way. Watch his JB cases facebook page for the next live auction.