Shaw 714 DVD

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Evidently you did not watch and listen to all the videos while the attempts was made.

Since you like facts so much.... how about this:

Bobby Chamberlain said all along that John Schmidt's 626 was not the world record run.

Bobby said (several times on stream) very clearly that Babe Cranfield's 768 run was the world record.... that's fact. He said it any times.

Well, after Jayson ran 714.... all of a sudden Bobby accepted John's 626.... again, that is fact.

I know what I know and Evidently you don't.

I've received a few PM's asking me if I was ill toward Bobby or something. I told all of them:

Nope. I have no problem with him personally other than I don't like hypocrisy.

Do you like it when someone says one thing, but then does the opposite?

Me? I have absolutely nothing against Bobby and especially Jayson...., but I am a huge fan of honesty and integrity.

In the end, I'm grateful for John Schmidt and Jayson Shaw.

I just wish two things:

1. John would have got the same love and respect for breaking the 526 that Shaw got for the 714.

2. John's record would have been broken under different circumstances instead of a vengeance manner.
And the pocket sizes clearly measured, not lied about!!!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe the table has been sold yet.

Right now renovations are underway at Streetlight to relocate the Legends table within the club. Once all is setup there will be other events, hopefully to include some women attempting to set a high run. Then down the road we'll open it back up to the men. There's been no shortage of interest from several of the guys mentioned in this thread and even Jayson wants to come back to try and break his own record. And yes: there will be more dough to be won for a higher record.

Lou Figueroa
As long as the $$$ is right the truly elite players will visit often and stay as long as they possibly can.

On the other hand, if cash incentive is a lot lower the truly elite "may" lose interest quickly.

After all, regardless of who trys, 714+ will be off the charts amazing and equally difficult.

As a 14.1 fan, I am super excited to see the future attemps.

I'm wondering if Jason or another beast like him will put up ~1,000 ball run in the near future?

Exciting times for 14.1 players and fans!

xX-Wizard-Xx

If Bobby can find his balls, the only thing I'm interested in watching at this point in time, is John and Jason playing a race to 2,000 to see who the better player is, and maybe to see a record breaking run in COMPETITION!!!!
i dont really care about high runs in non-competition environment. i would like to see the two of them play in an exhibition style game maybe winner gets $X Amount. That might be worth 50$ bucks for a DVD

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm wondering if Jason or another beast like him will put up ~1,000 ball run in the near future?

Assuming the event continues and the truly elite keep coming, I think it's a certainty.

I have no axe to grind against John, but I don't think it a stretch to say his potting ability doesn't measure up against the elite. As we all know, potting can bail out weak CB control and rough patterns. That said, John's benchmark was the gold standard because the elite couldn't be bothered to attempt besting it. It's a brave new world, and I expect this record to eclipsed several times in the next couple of years.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
As long as the $$$ is right the truly elite players will visit often and stay as long as they possibly can.

On the other hand, if cash incentive is a lot lower the truly elite "may" lose interest quickly.

After all, regardless of who trys, 714+ will be off the charts amazing and equally difficult.

As a 14.1 fan, I am super excited to see the future attemps.

jayson has already said he wants to give it another go and beat his own record

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'm sure they would be cutting up the cloth and marketing the table if he shot 527? Right.

The nonsense and double talk is off the charts here.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
If Bobby can find his balls, the only thing I'm interested in watching at this point in time, is John and Jason playing a race to 2,000 to see who the better player is, and maybe to see a record breaking run in COMPETITION!!!!

then youll just find something else to complain about while watching it for free

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its been done. so if you want to see it pay the piper. but what you are going to get is an exhibition type run of many racks. culminating in the most racks run semi-offically. as it wasnt done during a public event or tournament. but a great accomplishment.

however it is boring for me to watch a straight pool run as one rack is similar to another except for maybe one or two shots.

to me its like paying to watch a replay of the superbowl. to some its worth it. so be it. we are all different and spend our time or money as we please.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
You want to know what is wrong with pool, you T-Rex armed nitballs. The guy runs 714 balls, decides to do a fairly inexpensive commemorative package and you don't support an accomplishment like this. You are the same people that bring your own water bottle into a pool hall to save 1.25 on a water, It is an embarrassment. I don't even like straight pool and I'll get one.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Jaguar said:
Presumably this is just the first attempt to market it and then after everyone has their fill of the “memorabilia” they will release a more reasonable and realistic priced option for purchase like around $50. Then I guess I’ll be watching it. Guess I’m cheap.

Bingo, Joe. You nailed it. Equitable all around.
And at that point, the Unlimited Edition -- as opposed to the initial quite sensibly "restricted to 714" -- will sell to many thousands of buyers of all skill levels, and absolutely should contain voice-over commentary by Jason . . . a hugely instructive sweetener from any marketing (and 14.1 fan) viewpoint.

Arnaldo

terpdad

Registered
You want to know what is wrong with pool, you T-Rex armed nitballs. The guy runs 714 balls, decides to do a fairly inexpensive commemorative package and you don't support an accomplishment like this. You are the same people that bring your own water bottle into a pool hall to save 1.25 on a water, It is an embarrassment. I don't even like straight pool and I'll get one.
Hell no I won't support it by buying the video. It's an impressive feat, but watching would be painfully boring for most pool fans, & all non-pool fans.

xX-Wizard-Xx

if they were charging $500 for it some of these guys would get inline and buy one and call everyone else cheap just because it is not worth 125$ to them

middleofnowhere

Registered
Hard to learn about the finer points of playing straight pool by spectating, only and someone talking about what they have done, after the fact.
Mosconi explained the finer points of playing14.1 Continuous Billiards Pocket Pool, numerous times, but, evidently, not many were paying close attention.

I read this whole thread and that has never been said. I in fact said I thought the price was reasonable. We have been objectively discussing is there even a market for it.

As interesting as it may be, I can't imagine wanting to own a copy. Why? What are you going to do with it, show it a parties? Watch it every week?

Truth is, you will never watch it more then once and put it away never to be watched again. Realistically, it has no collectable value or instructional value.

In fact, if you think there is something to be learned from watching him try to run balls, all his attempts except the last one are on their Facebook.

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would also. The thing is, it is not an instructional video on straight pool. It might be the opposite. It is a novlity and possably a collectable but that I actually doubt. In no time it will be everywhere for nothing. No matter what the buyer pays at most they may watch it once or twice and put it away forever.
This is a generalization that's not applicable to serious 14.1 fans who are regular players and always improvement minded.

For many years, just before every meaningful (to me) regional Straight Pool tournament I entered, I'd watch Mike Sigel's 1992 150-and out against Zuglan, or Souquet's year-2000 NYC US Open flawlessly beautiful 120 run against Reyes, also Schmidt's voice-overed 366 run. These always got me chuffed, prepared and most important -- mentally ready (and stimulated).

Arnaldo

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
While I sort of agree with some of what you are saying, this IS straight pool. It's just not very instructional. There may be some nuggets here and there, but you have to really dig for them. I sat through an entire run by John Schmidt, which was over 400 balls. While it was entertaining, with insane shots every rack, I caught myself audibly gritting my teeth at times. What the hell was I supposed to learn from that video, I wondered. The answer is of course, nothing or at least very little, and maybe more general principles than concrete solutions. It's just a spectacle and somewhat entertaining at that. Not everything is supposed to be textbook. Shaw and Schmidt just played the game to their own strengths, which is what you have to do to get the best possible performance. They're good at making shots and have awesome touch, but planning is not really their strongest suits, so they play differently than the old greats. You can probably learn something, at least from Shaws rapid development of semi-decent pattern play in the latter stages of his attempts. He's not Sigel or Varner, but at least you can see, kind of, what works universally.

To a certain extent the textbook has been rewritten, at least on the easy tables. Theirs are, after all, the longest documented runs. Saying they're playing the game wrong sounds really stupid in that context. However, I suspect the person going for the high run on a super tight table might have to dust off the old textbook and read it cover to cover, because I can damn well guarantee that this circus stuff isn't going to fly on those. At a certain point of table difficulty, I believe the firepower won't be able to overcome the poor planning. I don't know what that point is, but I believe there is such a point. Others may disagree and think the straightest shooters will always be the best straight pool players. I don't agree, but dont' necessarily think it's a stupid sentiment, especially in light of these recent developments.
I'm not a straight pool player but from my point of view this is not a good example of how to play competitive straight pool. There was no winner or loser, Shaw always had the option to start over and try again. If he were playing tournament pool and missed position or a break out shot he goes home with nothing, no more attempts. The only thing he loses in his high run attempt is time invested so far. Just try again tomorrow.

middleofnowhere

Registered
This is a generalization that's not applicable to serious 14.1 fans who are regular players and always improvement minded.

For many years, just before every meaningful (to me) regional Straight Pool tournament I entered, I'd watch Mike Sigel's 1992 150-and out against Zuglan, or Souquet's year-2000 NYC US Open flawlessly beautiful 120 run against Reyes, also Schmidt's voice-overed 366 run. These always got me chuffed, prepared and most important -- mentally ready (and stimulated).

Arnaldo
Me too. In fact I have videos of myself playing and when I would travel in my rv I would go out and would watch myself play before some matches. It was almost as good as an hour warm up maybe better.

There is an advantage watching yourself because It's you, not someone elses fundamentals. I had lots of videos of myself playing but one in perticuler is a 120 ball run that is perfect.

I could sit and quietly watch it and go to the table and be in imeadate stroke. It was better then just mental practice. It can also excelerate a players improvement both real practice and this type of mental practice combined.

Last edited: