Shaw 714 DVD

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm not a straight pool player but from my point of view this is not a good example of how to play competitive straight pool. There was no winner or loser, Shaw always had the option to start over and try again. If he were playing tournament pool and missed position or a break out shot he goes home with nothing, no more attempts. The only thing he loses in his high run attempt is time invested so far. Just try again tomorrow.
Very true. Unfortunately there would never be an opprotunity for a player to beat the record in 'competition'. No TD will allow a match that should have ended at 150, or 200 to continue for hours in the off chance that the record may be broken. So with that said, how else is one to set a new benchmark for high run..?

Your point about the lack of risk is totally valid imo. However, even in a 14.1 tourney wherein the race is say set to 200. The shooting player can go into free wheel mode once the match is won at the 200 mark. No holds barred beyond that point, so really, what's the difference between shooting while +200 in competition vs +200 in exhibition..?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm not a straight pool player but from my point of view this is not a good example of how to play competitive straight pool. There was no winner or loser, Shaw always had the option to start over and try again. If he were playing tournament pool and missed position or a break out shot he goes home with nothing, no more attempts. The only thing he loses in his high run attempt is time invested so far. Just try again tomorrow.
Have you watched competitive straight pool recently? I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but this is what straight pool has become. Most pool players don't play straight pool much, so it's 9-ball-straightpool for the lot of them. Piss poor patterns, strange breakshots, but unbelievable shotmaking and cueball control at times. All out offense is the norm. Frequently it looks like complete garbage, until you realize they haven't missed at all... It all really started with Oliver Ortman. He was the one who really pioneered this style of play and after his time, others have taken over. If anything, Shaws highest run was technically better than many "competitive runs", simply because he had to be. In order to run that many balls, you have to play the percentages better than most people play these days. Anyone can run 150 and out now, so people do anything to stay on the table. They run the balls off the table more or less at random until there are 3-4 left, then they improvise something. Most of the time, this actually works, so high has the skill level become. Even Earl, as strange as his patterns were in his high run attempts, at least had a consistent key ball and seemingly a sort of strategy for how he wanted to play. Even that is rare these days. It's mostly random as f.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's a fair point.

Still, the design was to have all players with elite competitive resumes that were interested attempt to beat the record. Several others who have yet to take a shot at it expressed interest in trying. Count me among those who were shocked that the record fell as soon as it did.

I think we'll see more attempts down the road by those who have yet to try, especially Gorst and Filler, who I believe are the most likely to break the new record. I think Orcullo might have a huge run in him, too, but I doubt we'll see him making any attempts anytime in the foreseeable future.
I'd most of all like to see Ruslan set the new record. That hypothetical performance would be guaranteed to exhibit playing that's as close to old-style, sustained 14.1 excellence (and purity) as the modern world is ever likely to see now, and at any conceivable time in the future.

Arnaldo

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think it will be broken, to much can go wrong. Took John many weeks to break Mosconi's and
less than a week for Jayson to break Johns. What were the size of John's pockets? Just saying

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won't be on the same table that's for sure😉
Try to look at the bright side…you will get to bitch and cry about a whole new set of pockets!! That’s like Christmas in the summer!

Newsflash…no two tables are alike. If and when this group or any group set tup an easy table for round 2 it won’t be the players crying about the table, the pockets or anything else.

I hope you haven’t given up on saving pool.