US OPEN Championships $45,000 Added Las Vegas April 3-14, 2022

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lots of data entry errors on the Digital Pool bracket/match listing, I've noticed many scores changing.

FargoRate wins again with the top-rated player making the final (Gorst, 824) alongside the player in a close third (Corteza, 814) just behind Biado (816), who finished 5th-6th.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
US OPEN 10 BALL FINALS!!
NOON PACIFIC WEDNESDAY!!
Fedor Gorst vs Lee Vann Corteza.
Griff's Billiards in Las Vegas.
One Race to 13, alternate breaks for the title.
Played on a 9ft Diamond Pro-Am with 4 1/8 inch pockets.
Online Brackets https://digitalpool.com/.../us-open-championship-series...
— with Fedor Gorst and Lee Vann Corteza at Griff's Bar & Billiards.

8 Ball division has started and stream matches will begin after the 10 Ball finals Wednesday.
8 Ball bracket https://digitalpool.com/tournaments/us-open-8-ball-championship-2022/bracket

1649234237487.png

1649234202432.png

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yep, Matchroom scheduled on top of them (non WPA "sanctioned"), like they did for two other Predator events (both WPA sanctioned). Oh well.

Fedor should be rocking and rolling.
Revisionist history here.

On the occasion that two event producers compete for the same dates on the WPA calendar, the problem of assigning the dates belongs to WPA.

To you, an event producer can choose any dates for their events but in practice, there are many issues that sometimes get in the way. In Matchroom's case, they have one issue that nobody else has, and that's the television issue. No, they can't just walk up to Sky Sports and dictate the dates on which they'll broadcast. Sometimes, they have very few options and have to work around the time slots which are available to them. Would you have them forego a chance to televise just to get out of the way of some other event, or to make the WPA calendar more player friendly?

To you, Matchroom deviously plans to compete with or obstruct other event producers by scheduling the way it does, and you couldn't be more wrong.

Finally, non-WPA-sanctioned events are not relevant here. Nobody is going to pay too much attention in their event scheduling.

Bottom line is that unless you run a WPA sanctioned event, no date protection of any kind should be expected. Is it a little unfortunate that the $325,000 prize fund World Pool Championships (which will pay out $100,000 more than what was paid out at the World 10-ball) coincides with the $10,000 added US Open 8-ball and the $10,000 added US Open 1-pocket.

The primary incentive for a major producer to avoid scheduling over any non-sanctioned events is that doing so could cost them access to a few top players. Case in point is that reigning US Open 9-ball champion Carlo Biado chose to skip the World Pool Championships.

Matchroom has conducted its business responsibly here.

telinoz

Registered
I think to try and work around this, WPA and Matchroom should try their very best to publish dates well in advance, don't have full stats on their average notice given.
Does anybody have that?
I would think 6 months minimum is reasonable.

Then, satellite events can plan around these top tier events.
Gives the best chance for avoiding some clashes.
But, the calendar is always tight and it's a big World with lots of travel arrangements for the top players moving between countries.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revisionist history here.

On the occasion that two event producers compete for the same dates on the WPA calendar, the problem of assigning the dates belongs to WPA.

To you, an event producer can choose any dates for their events but in practice, there are many issues that sometimes get in the way. In Matchroom's case, they have one issue that nobody else has, and that's the television issue. No, they can't just walk up to Sky Sports and dictate the dates on which they'll broadcast. Sometimes, they have very few options and have to work around the time slots which are available to them. Would you have them forego a chance to televise just to get out of the way of some other event, or to make the WPA calendar more player friendly?

To you, Matchroom deviously plans to compete with or obstruct other event producers by scheduling the way it does, and you couldn't be more wrong.

Finally, non-WPA-sanctioned events are not relevant here. Nobody is going to pay too much attention in their event scheduling.

Bottom line is that unless you run a WPA sanctioned event, no date protection of any kind should be expected. Is it a little unfortunate that the $325,000 prize fund World Pool Championships (which will pay out $100,000 more than what was paid out at the World 10-ball) coincides with the $10,000 added US Open 8-ball and the $10,000 added US Open 1-pocket.

The primary incentive for a major producer to avoid scheduling over any non-sanctioned events is that doing so could cost them access to a few top players. Case in point is that reigning US Open 9-ball champion Carlo Biado chose to skip the World Pool Championships.

Matchroom has conducted its business responsibly here.
LMAO. You pick and choose what you want to from a post try to frame your narrative so you can sound a hell of a lot smarter than you really are. You might want to start by looking up what revisionist history actually means.

Deviously? No, that’s more of your poor assumptions. Actually I don’t think they really cared enough or were interested in enough in their competitor’s already RESERVED dates with the WPA so they just did what they want hoping as many fanboys like you as possible would eat up their rational. Too bad the WPA doesn’t really amount to anything or they would sanction players that attend Matchroom’s World Cup of Pool and European Open. I’m sure, you, would agree after posting “Bottom line is that unless you run a WPA sanctioned event, no date protection of any kind should be expected”.

Now, let your huckleberries (aka groupies) come out.

Get back to that WPA World 9 Ball <- yes, I called it what it is.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
LMAO. You pick and choose what you want to from a post try to frame your narrative so you can sound a hell of a lot smarter than you really are. You might want to start by looking up what revisionist history actually means.

Deviously? No, that’s more of your poor assumptions. Actually I don’t think they really cared enough or were interested in enough in their competitor’s already RESERVED dates with the WPA so they just did what they want hoping as many fanboys like you as possible would eat up their rational. Too bad the WPA doesn’t really amount to anything or they would sanction players that attend Matchroom’s World Cup of Pool and European Open. I’m sure, you, would agree after posting “Bottom line is that unless you run a WPA sanctioned event, no date protection of any kind should be expected”.

Now, let your huckleberries (aka groupies) come out.

Get back to that WPA World 9 Ball <- yes, I called it what it is.
Many good points in your post. You're right, too, that WPA has a lot on its plate right now and needs to refine its processes a little and must be consistent in its application of current sanctioning guidelines. In the end, they must restore order when schedules conflict. In fairness, this is pretty new territory for them, with more than one fully sanctioned major event series in play simultaneously for the first time since the 1990's.

While we obviously don't see completely eye to eye here, I sense from your post that we have the exact same ideals and hope for pro pool.

Thanks for sharing your insights and for clarifying a couple of things for me.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I think when you have two ambitious tours/promoters conflict will be inevitable. Matchroom can't easily move or dictate dates because they are limited by Sky Sports broadcasting schedules. On the other hand, CSI is aligning its events with various league championships.

Another aspect I haven't seen mentioned here is that Matchroom is avoiding clashing with major snooker events. A key part of their strategy seems to be siphoning off snooker fans. So they have a tricky balancing act of avoiding other major pool events, avoiding major snooker events, and satisfying their broadcasters.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Us Open 8 Ball live stream matches from Griff's Billiards in Las Vegas continue.
Up next on the stream winners side final four match.
Josh Roberts vs Justin Sajich.

1649371937869.png

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Tough not to notice how well Edgie Geronimo has been playing of late. Still alive in the 8-ball, and he played well at the World 10-ball. Might be a player to watch.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin, the sole Australian representative.
See how he goes.
8ball is his favourite game.
He played great vs Josh.

Made some really impressive outs and great jump shot.

He has 3rd place locked up and will play the winner of Jesus and Carlo in the winner side final.

telinoz

Registered
He played great vs Josh.

Made some really impressive outs and great jump shot.

He has 3rd place locked up and will play the winner of Jesus and Carlo in the winner side final.
Looks like his first break through on international stage.
I know this is not as prestigious as the other events, but some decent players in this.

It is interesting seeing how one FargoRate bubble goes vs another.
We have seen this at lower level when we trek over to BCAPL in Vegas.

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Terry Hanna

· Las Vegas, NV ·

US Open 8 Ball live from Griff's Billiards in Las Vegas.
Roland Garcia vs Josh Roberts quarter final match at noon Pacific time.
Winner of Roland/Josh will play Justin Sajich in the semi final at 2pm.
Carlo Biado won the Hotseat and will play the semi final winner in a single race to 11 final at 4pm.
US Open 1pkt will kick off later tonight with the players auction followed by 1st round matches.
Get your special all events pass for the remaining 7 days of coverage. (Includes the rest of the 8 Ball, One Pocket and Banks)
All the PPV Pass options are available at PoolActionTV.com
Online Brackets https://digitalpool.com/.../us-open-championship-series-2022

— with Roland Garcia and Josh "The Beast" Roberts at Griff's Bar & Billiards.

1649434219715.png

1649434237403.png