Walking with Giants, Cole

Keith thompson

Played Cole the first time at LeCue club in downtown Houston. Ten percent Denny steered me into him and I took the bait! Bahaha

Played him 4 games even 9 ball for 10 a game, he won two and I won two and I unassed it. Had a bad feeling about this long haired hippy!

I was 16 yrs old he was 18, it was 1968 and no teen on earth could play me anything on a pool table so I thought!

He offered me the call 8 ten a game, I jumped on it like I was stealing money, big mistake bahaha

The next two hrs I racked balls and watched this kid run racks of nine ball like nobody else, got me 20 games loser.

I had about 600 in my pocket and thrived on 10-20$ action but I thought I may be in over my head but I had to get a legitimate shot or 2 before I cut him loose.

Made Cole rack balls the next couple of hrs and made him quit, had to step my game up to a level I hadn’t been at but I did. Pecking order was not established.

Played Cole one more time in Johnston City 1970, we were best friends at this time and roomed together at Johnston City along with his friend Steve.

We were both 300 into the winnings in the 9 ball division and we were the marquee match of that evening, two kids under 20 yrs old bahaha

Cole always had some kind of paraphanalia and we blew a little hash an hour before our match that evening in his small hash/weed pipe Bahahahaha

We didn’t do this every night, only because we played each other!

The hash had worn off mostly thank God when we played our match in front of packed stands.

I won the lag for first brake in a race to 11 and hit him with 6 straight racks. Didn’t make a ball on the break the 7th game and headed to the neutral corner passing Cole and he said Goshdam Squirrel I didn’t think you were gonna let me shoot!

He had two chances in our race to 11, won the match 11-5. He told me to go ahead and win the division!

After winning the 9 ball division I finally had a little money in my pocket and left Johnston City with Cole and Steve in Cole’s VW, drove to Atlanta and hung out for the next 5 days blowing joints and enjoying life bahaha

Day before the all around started Cole calls Johnston City and gets Freddy the Beard on the phone and Freddy told me to get my ass back here and play Ronnie and Lassiter in the all around, said I played as good as them! I didn’t think so Bahahahaha

Paulie Jansco had put me in the 9 ball division when I was broke so I agreed to fly back that night and play in the all around so Paulie could have his all around. Cole gave me a pep talk and said I was a great all around player and was capable of winning it, what did he know? Lol

Well I went back that night and won the all around the next day only because of Cole and Freddy the Beard bahaha

I hung with Cole in Cal, Johnston city and Atlanta for a few months, probably the best times of my life, we would blow joints and tell tall tales of the giants we slayed!

middleofnowhere

Registered
It's possible you've already said in another thread but I can't help it be curious at the age of around 70 what have you been doing all this time?

We're a the school teacher, college professor, working for NASA what has your life been and did it benefit from having been a pool player.

Keith thompson

It's possible you've already said in another thread but I can't help it be curious at the age of around 70 what have you been doing all this time?

We're a the school teacher, college professor, working for NASA what has your life been and did it benefit from having been a pool player.
I rarely mentioned my pool playing days to my co-workers thru my adult life and most people I told thought I was full of it! So I learned to keep my mouth shut at an early age.

Hired on at Champion paper mill in Pasadena Tx. In 1972, had to get my GED before I applied, that’s a good story in itself but I won’t elaborate.

Worked at Champion for 4 yrs and applied for a better position at Shell Chemical/refinery in October 1976, worked their for 34 yrs and retired from their July 1st 2010. Participated in their excellent savings plans and have two homes and a couple of lake lots. Went on an elk hunt last year with Tyler Sims outfitter in Wyoming and he put me on an elk to die for, beautiful 6-6, it’s still at the taxidermist!

Got married when I was 21 and have two children, son and daughter. Lost my wife of 46 yrs in 2010, lost my brother last December, now there’s just me! But I did ok. Life must go on!

Built my wife and I a nice 3 bedroom home outside of Madisonville Tx and put out ten pecan trees and two hican trees, also planted about ten fruit trees, both orchards are just a big pain in the ass Bahahahaha

Keith thompson

I rarely mentioned my pool playing days to my co-workers thru my adult life and most people I told thought I was full of it! So I learned to keep my mouth shut at an early age.

Hired on at Champion paper mill in Pasadena Tx. In 1972, had to get my GED before I applied, that’s a good story in itself but I won’t elaborate.

Worked at Champion for 4 yrs and applied for a better position at Shell Chemical/refinery in October 1976, worked their for 34 yrs and retired from their July 1st 2010. Participated in their excellent savings plans and have two homes and a couple of lake lots. Went on an elk hunt last year with Tyler Sims outfitter in Wyoming and he put me on an elk to die for, beautiful 6-6, it’s still at the taxidermist!

Got married when I was 21 and have two children, son and daughter. Lost my wife of 46 yrs in 2010, lost my brother last December, now there’s just me! But I did ok. Life must go on!

Built my wife and I a nice 3 bedroom home outside of Madisonville Tx and put out ten pecan trees and two hican trees, also planted about ten fruit trees, both orchards are just a big pain in the ass Bahahahaha
My wife passed in 2020 not 2010.

middleofnowhere

Registered

Thank you for your response.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife passed in 2020 not 2010.

Keith, I am very sadden to hear of your recent loss.

I cannot imagine losing Gail, who tells me about her day, and listens to my woes (pool related and otherwise), is a never ending source of contradictions, and a great travel companion.

I've read many of your accounts of road players and would like to know if you have any stories you'd share with us about your wife?

Lou Figueroa