Break Tip

Ninayuji07

Can anyone let me know what’s the best tip that I can put on my break cue? Any thoughts on the new Kamui Sai break tip?

PracticeChampion

I wanted a tip that was both hard yet had control and was advised to try a Odega. I'm 3-4 months in and it's never needed shaped yet it's got enough control that a person could probably play with it as a shooter. Also jumps great.

Hard to see the tip on that phenolic but it's there

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_141158405.jpg
    IMG_20211229_141158405.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 265

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My favorite break tips are made from hybrid leather, hard leather infused with a hard resin. The two most popular, which have identical characteristics and performance, are the stock BK Rush tip and the Samsara break tip. They both have a crushing break, yet have more control than a harder phenolic, plastic or nylon tip.

MrBouncy

I was really happy with the Samsara on my last break cue, just got a new one and the phenolic tip on it doesn't quite give me the same control, but it's close enough I'll just use it for awhile and be more aggressive in shaping it down.
I may try another option first when I do get around to changing it, but I was super pleased with the Samsara.

I don't have much experience, but I have tried Bulletproof Break Tips and would highly recommend one. Also, my jump cue has a Taom 2.0 break/jump tip which I really like, and I know others tend to like Taom as well. I love Kamui playing tips and I imagine their break tip will play very well. Based solely on what I've read lately, other good candidates would include White Diamond and Samsara.

terpdad

Registered
There are so many good options, both in phenolic & non-phenolic, that I doubt you'll find the Kamui much better or different than what's already out there.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I like the Hammerhead 2. It's a similar material to white diamond, but it feels more solid. Material feels similar but it feels like you lose less power. They hold chalk well.

If you like leather Zan GripHard. I use it on my playing cue, but it really smashes the rack the few times I've did so.

Blind_Squirrel

Pooldawg is "down for maintenance" right now so I can't tell you what tip I'm using.

My tip is a very hard leather, about a 9 on a scale of 10.
I don't use chalk to break with (since 9-2019).
I have good control because I can draw it to the back rail, then back to near center of table.
I use top every now & then (if nothing else is working).

BUT, I have flattened my tip (No Really!).
That's the secret!

Others even break with my cue, and they find it breaks very strong.
Why?
Because it's like a flat surface hitting a round surface, the error factor just goes away!
It's like if you miss-cue slightly, it won't matter because the flat surface compensates the difference!

In a recent tournament,
I called the 9 on the snap, made it.
On the next opponent I called 5 balls on the snap, but only made 4.
The 9 & 6 were both bobbling in each end pocket or it would have been 6 on the snap with game over!
(Yeah that was just plain LUCK)

But the point is,
I'm putting enormous amounts of force on the break, without having to worry about a miss-cue!
Oh, I miss-cue every now and then, lower than the average player, but still do...

I love this tip's flatness!
It just plain works!!!

Bonus:
I use a phenolic tip on my Lucasi Jump cue.
I don't use chalk on it either! (since 9-2019).
I make many "sick" jump-shots with it!
I can even jump from the headstring to the spot (I call it "The Blind Squirrel's Jump-Shot Challenge").
I jump to the side rail all the time!
Even those angled long jumps to the side.

But then I have a secret (that's another story).

BS

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I tried out a Bulletproof I had installed on a teammate's jump/break and liked it a lot. He's been using it for a few months and says great things.

I am currently using the White Diamond and like it way better than what I had before.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not found much difference between break tips as long as they are at least 92 on the durometer (XX hard).

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Breaking about the only decent thing left in my game these days.
I've been using a pressed, hard leather tip (no shaping or scuffing after the initial instal) for about 10 years (same tip) and I love the cueball control I get from it.

Zerksies

I installed the Kamui sai last week. It’s a very hard tip. Probably as hard as the samsara break tip. But is very easy to shape. All these break tips all seem to be the same

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If its for a break jump. I would use white diamond. But for pure breaking, I use a mezz Black Ingot tip.Been on for the last couple years, never had a problem.