PUI (Playing Under the Influence)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
So there is no law I know of about playing Pool under influence of drugs, or alcohol,

Some people function ok juiced? Or buzzed on drugs?

Problems happen when you try & drive self home, and get arrested, killer, or kill someone else under influence.

DeeDeeCues

There was at least one study involving computer coders that showed that some alcohol increased their productivity and accuracy.

Maybe you can't imagine it, but there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Some people function better under influence of alcohol, and drugs. Lots of Senior Citizen are so over medicated they can bairly function. So know better then to operate machinery, heading warning labels. They do not use Power Tools, Hedge Trimmer, or Machinery. Most still drive as a car is a car not machinery.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of drinks always seemed to help me relax, but I don't drink while playing anymore. I used to believe that it helped me play better, but who knows. As for weed, everybody I know plays worse, and it is very visible, the moment they comeback to the table they are much weaker.
Combine alcohol and weed and it is donating time.

Ghost of OBC

If you play bangers in the bars, there is a complicating factor. If everyone is drinking, winning the drinking contest can be very productive. I usually run a 3 drink minimum for league. It evens things out and partially fixes my risk aversion. After three, I try to take it easy and stick to one drink an hour or so.

If we are all going to have a dozen drinks, I'll be less good than sober, but better than almost any human who has been matching me drink for drink.

I don't play better pissed, but I probably win more, if that makes sense.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I’ve run exactly 100 after smoking weed. Felt like shooting basket balls into manholes. I would not describe it as a relaxing experience.

DDiabolico

DDiabolico
I would say for someone who got good fundamentals (stance, stroke,...) a few drinks won't matter that much. There will be an impact, but not a significant one, as long as their motoric abilities aren't yet affected. For someone who already has a poor stroke or a bad stance, the impact will be worse and may appaer sooner.
I consider myself a very good amateur player capable of stringing some racks together and I don't really notice a difference in my game after up to three beers (5%-6% vol. 0,5 liters per bottle here) during a 2 hour period. When playing league or tournaments I don't drink at all as it's prohibited but when playing local club tournaments or on social nights I'll grab some beers once in a while.
Can't speak for drugs though, as they're all prohibited in our country.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a difference from drinking and having a drink just as there is a difference
in getting high and having a toke. Some people don’t even realize they would
become nervous in a competitive situation playing pool and enter a tournament.

The player becomes nervous, starts to wonder about their stroke because they
remember the long draw shot they missed during practice warming up. They don’t
remember the rack they ran but they’ll sure recall the last two bank shots attempts
that missed. Their mental preparedness gets off track and getting it back seems hard.

So they go outside and have a couple quick tokes or they order a beer. Doesn’t matter
as long as they don’t keep doing it because that can lead to becoming lackadaisical
and sloppy. Anything that helps you get your game kick started is perfectly fine with me.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Watched a player (who shall remain nameless) in the pit at the Expo (back when it was at the old location) just Vodka and Redbulls all night and completely dominate the main table.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was at least one study involving computer coders that showed that some alcohol increased their productivity and accuracy.

Maybe you can't imagine it, but there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
When I was a software developer the most productive time was in the evenings and I would sip on beer or wine and code for 5-6 hours straight. I might drink 6 light beers but it was over 7 hours. It allowed me to drop into the deep focus zone and not worry about all the extra stuff. Going to work was just for meetings. All programmers I knew used to program at night on their own time.

When I got married my wife was completely against that of course. It wasn't the alcohol, it was working into the wee hours.

Pool is kind of the same for me. I can have a beer or two and it helps me but like ChrisNC said if the mixture gets too rich it starts to negatively affect my decision making. I still shoot and play position well but after enough I just don't ever want to play safe.

Now I don't drink at all and I believe I play better because of it. Not sure if that's true or just that I don't want to give myself an excuse to either lose or start drinking again. :)

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play bangers in the bars, there is a complicating factor. If everyone is drinking, winning the drinking contest can be very productive. I usually run a 3 drink minimum for league. It evens things out and partially fixes my risk aversion. After three, I try to take it easy and stick to one drink an hour or so.

If we are all going to have a dozen drinks, I'll be less good than sober, but better than almost any human who has been matching me drink for drink.

I don't play better pissed, but I probably win more, if that makes sense.
Also in a bar situation it's not great optics to be sober, drinking water and winning while beating everyone who is drunk. Eventually that will catch up to you.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 15 years ago or so. A guy I knew one the state APAsingles here in NC. He was drunk as a skunk the whole time he played in the tournament. The next day he was shocked to learn he had won when his friend called him. He did not remember any of it. Complete blackout drunk...But he played great, go figure...

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Alcohol... one or two to relax the nerves might improve things for some people, any more and it just all goes down hill. If I'm playing league I'll have about one an hour along with unsweetened ice tea for quenching thirst. It's in a bar. I don't really care about the effects of beer much, but red beer (made with clamato, get that V8 out of my sight! ;) ) is quite tasty.

Smoke... I'm told... can greatly increase focus and makes the game more interesting. It's easy to focus if it's interesting, and it's more interesting if you can focus. Also lowers pain and allows folks to get in the zone/get their head right/reduce anxiety/etc. It makes many things interesting, tv, music, fishing, etc. If you feel interested with things like how you did as a kid, the rest comes easier. I've heard this from people whose game I respect so I imagine there is some truth to it. Is it for everyone? Nope, but nothing is. If it's compatible with your physiology then it can be a benefit. Moderation, not talking Snoop Dogg level consumption.

Considering you can stealthily partake nowadays with edibles or wax pens, you've probably played many people who are stoned but don't smell like a skunk who survived a wildfire.

dquarasr

Registered
Alcohol... one or two to relax the nerves might improve things for some people, any more and it just all goes down hill. If I'm playing league I'll have about one an hour along with unsweetened ice tea for quenching thirst. It's in a bar. I don't really care about the effects of beer much, but red beer (made with clamato, get that V8 out of my sight! ;) ) is quite tasty.

Smoke... I'm told... can greatly increase focus and makes the game more interesting. It's easy to focus if it's interesting, and it's more interesting if you can focus. Also lowers pain and allows folks to get in the zone/get their head right/reduce anxiety/etc. It makes many things interesting, tv, music, fishing, etc. If you feel interested with things like how you did as a kid, the rest comes easier. I've heard this from people whose game I respect so I imagine there is some truth to it. Is it for everyone? Nope, but nothing is. If it's compatible with your physiology then it can be a benefit. Moderation, not talking Snoop Dogg level consumption.

Considering you can stealthily partake nowadays with edibles or wax pens, you've probably played many people who are stoned but don't smell like a skunk who survived a wildfire.
I’m surprised at how many league teammates and competitors disappear outside the pool hall for a short interval and return reeking of mary jane.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was a software developer the most productive time was in the evenings and I would sip on beer or wine and code for 5-6 hours straight. I might drink 6 light beers but it was over 7 hours. It allowed me to drop into the deep focus zone and not worry about all the extra stuff. Going to work was just for meetings. All programmers I knew used to program at night on their own time.

When I got married my wife was completely against that of course. It wasn't the alcohol, it was working into the wee hours.

Pool is kind of the same for me. I can have a beer or two and it helps me but like ChrisNC said if the mixture gets too rich it starts to negatively affect my decision making. I still shoot and play position well but after enough I just don't ever want to play safe.

Now I don't drink at all and I believe I play better because of it. Not sure if that's true or just that I don't want to give myself an excuse to either lose or start drinking again. :)
I have a huge advantage over all our customers playing in our tournament who may choose to drink some. I live next door so I can walk home!

dquarasr

Registered

TLDR: OP brags about career in IT, (BFD!) WARNING: Old F*$@ reminiscing about long-ago successes in professional career. Feel free to bypass reading this crap.

#braggadocioon
I started my IT career as a developer (we called ourselves "programmers" back then). I cannot imagine coding while consuming even moderate amounts of alcohol. No, I didn't work evenings into the night. I programmed during work hours.

I started programming a Texas Instruments SR-70 programmable calculator to do insurance rating. I was mediocre at best. But I learned how to think. My next job, I was less than honest when I said in the interview that I knew Basic language. But I learned it very quickly. At that job, we migrated to COBOL. I took to it like ducks to water.

I believe I have a somewhat unique distinction: of the approximately (estimated) 1200 programs I wrote or modified, I can honestly say that there was NEVER a bug reported against anything I promoted to production. No bugs.

I was fast and accurate. In my second stint at COBOL programming, we were coding a General Ledger system for vertical markets. We had a team of a senior project manager, and two junior programmers, of which I was one. We had 12 weeks to complete the code.

The PM assigned most of the complex programs to himself, and gave my junior colleague and myself "easier" programs to write. I finished mine quickly. I took on some of the programs of the other junior programmer. I finished those. I took on programs assigned to the PM. I finished those.

In all, we completed the project in less than six weeks, half the scheduled time. I completed about 80% of the programs. Zero bugs.

I then moved into a much larger organization, programming and supporting an Order Management system. DOS/MVS JCL, COBOL, CICS, Informix database. Same story: no reported bugs in anything I submitted and got promoted to production. I became the database administrator. Much maintenance. Never a reported problem.

Went up the management side, moved away from bits-and-bytes technology, then became a certified Project Manager (I'm a pimp! PMP)
#braggadiciooff

I cannot imagine doing any of this work with any alcohol or weed. I asked the original question because from my frame of reference, I am suspect of those who claim they play better baked or buzzed, although I am open to entertaining the effect of relaxation afforded by weed an alcohol in moderation on a physical/mental endeavor such as pool. Still, I wonder if SVB, Efren, or Earl, played their top form buzzed or baked. I cannot imagine the answer is yes but I'm willing to accept this from those who claim thusly.

pw98

Registered
Honestly I play better stoned. I used to be high 24/7 when I was a better shooter. Not anymore. That’s 20 yrs ago. But on occasion I smoke and legitimately play 50 balls better. I just see shots I don’t see sober and know how to make them. It’s not the “placebo” effect either. I can legitimately take a few puffs half way through my practice session and will miss less balls after. I call weed my pool steroids. My stroke even changes a bit after smoking. Maybe because my body is more relaxed. Who knows? Weird but true.

Drinking while playing is hit or miss. Sometimes it can help but many times it goes the other way. At least that is in my case.

There was a study on tests in school a long time ago. The study concluded that if a typical person learned a subject stoned they will do better on a test on the subject stoned than they will sober.
They do better on the tests while stoned because they are addicted to weed and cant function without it.

pw98

Registered
TLDR: OP brags about career in IT, (BFD!) WARNING: Old F*$@ reminiscing about long-ago successes in professional career. Feel free to bypass reading this crap.

#braggadocioon
I started my IT career as a developer (we called ourselves "programmers" back then). I cannot imagine coding while consuming even moderate amounts of alcohol. No, I didn't work evenings into the night. I programmed during work hours.

I started programming a Texas Instruments SR-70 programmable calculator to do insurance rating. I was mediocre at best. But I learned how to think. My next job, I was less than honest when I said in the interview that I knew Basic language. But I learned it very quickly. At that job, we migrated to COBOL. I took to it like ducks to water.

I believe I have a somewhat unique distinction: of the approximately (estimated) 1200 programs I wrote or modified, I can honestly say that there was NEVER a bug reported against anything I promoted to production. No bugs.

I was fast and accurate. In my second stint at COBOL programming, we were coding a General Ledger system for vertical markets. We had a team of a senior project manager, and two junior programmers, of which I was one. We had 12 weeks to complete the code.

The PM assigned most of the complex programs to himself, and gave my junior colleague and myself "easier" programs to write. I finished mine quickly. I took on some of the programs of the other junior programmer. I finished those. I took on programs assigned to the PM. I finished those.

In all, we completed the project in less than six weeks, half the scheduled time. I completed about 80% of the programs. Zero bugs.

I then moved into a much larger organization, programming and supporting an Order Management system. DOS/MVS JCL, COBOL, CICS, Informix database. Same story: no reported bugs in anything I submitted and got promoted to production. I became the database administrator. Much maintenance. Never a reported problem.

Went up the management side, moved away from bits-and-bytes technology, then became a certified Project Manager (I'm a pimp! PMP)
#braggadiciooff

I cannot imagine doing any of this work with any alcohol or weed. I asked the original question because from my frame of reference, I am suspect of those who claim they play better baked or buzzed, although I am open to entertaining the effect of relaxation afforded by weed an alcohol in moderation on a physical/mental endeavor such as pool. Still, I wonder if SVB, Efren, or Earl, played their top form buzzed or baked. I cannot imagine the answer is yes but I'm willing to accept this from those who claim thusly.
I am a programmer too and I know for a fact that if I drink and code all I do is mess stuff up.

I have heard a story from a reliable source of a young shane gambling a very known player and starting to play bad then going to the bathroom and coming back with white stuff under his nose... they all used to do drugs...

pw98

Registered

Sure it increases productivity but the new code is broken and code that used to work is now broken . Alcohol does not help one bit.