Snookerpool

RubixOne

I am rather fond of snooker, but sadly, the full game cannot be played using American pool equipment. Furthermore, the way fouls are handled in snooker is quite complicated, and in some cases, actually hurts the game fairness-wise (particularly the foul and a miss rule). So I decided to make a variant that can be played using either pool equipment or snooker equipment, while also having simplified rules and improving the way fouls are handled. The result was Snookerpool.

Snookerpool has been through quite the journey, but it is finally done. I am very happy with how it turned out.

Snookerpool is played similarly to normal snooker, but has several differences.
  • American pool equipment is used instead of snooker equipment. The reds and colors from snooker are replaced with eight solids (balls 1-8) and seven stripes (balls 9-15), respectively.
    • Solids are worth 1 point, and stripes are worth their numerical value minus 7 (9-ball valued 2, 10-ball 3, 11-ball 4, 12-ball 5, 13-ball 6, 14-ball 7, and 15-ball 8)
    • The highest possible break in the game (maximum break) is 107 points (8*(1+8)+2+3+4+5+6+7+8)
  • The initial setup is different
    • The solids are racked in a sideways diamond shape, with the 14-ball in the center of the diamond rack and situated on the foot spot
    • The stripes are placed at various midpoints on the head string and long string, as shown in the image below
    • There are also two options for games with reduced setups
      • Six solids – The far left and far right solids are removed from the diamond rack, forming a hexagon rack
      • Three solids – The far left and far right solids as well as the three solids closest to the foot rail are removed from the diamond rack, forming a miniature diamond rack
  • During the break shot and the first shot of a tie breaker, the cue ball may be placed anywhere within the kitchen (area between the head string and head cushion)
  • The touching ball rule does not apply
  • Fouls award the opponent a ball-in-hand anywhere on the table
    • When a foul occurs, the incoming player cannot request that the offender play again
    • The foul and a miss and free ball rules rules do not apply
    • Jump shots are allowed
  • The penalty value for a foul is always either four points, the value of the ball "on," or the highest value of all balls involved in the foul, whichever is highest, with one exception
    • If, after potting a solid, a foul is committed before a stripe is nominated, the penalty value is eight points
  • The frame does not end unless:
    • When the 15-ball is the only ball left, it is legally pocketed or a foul occurs
    • A concession is accepted
  • If a tie occurs when the frame ends, the 15-ball is spotted, the next shot is played from within the kitchen, and the tiebreaker ends when the scores are no longer equal
Snookerpool Setup.png

Attachments

• Rules of Snookerpool.pdf
    140.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Official Rules of Snookerpool.pdf
    336.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I like your idea of approximating a snooker game on a pool table as I like snooker. However two points: 1) American Snooker is largely dead to the US population at large. 2) It is the snooker equipment that makes snooker snooker particularly rounded pockets. I used to have a 2.25 in snooker set that I used on a 5x10 pool table. I lost interest as it was still basically pool and just bought a 5x10 snooker table that can be often gotten for cheap see point 1.

That said, your rules could potentially introduce people to the game rules and concepts of respotable balls . Most people I meet in a bar have minimal awareness of snooker. Good job and way to think out of the box.

RubixOne

The blue ball counts 5 in proper snooker, I’m certain you know that.
I thought you were referring to the 5-ball, not the ball that is worth 5 points (in Snookerpool this is the 13-ball). Both are orange (one solid, one stripe) if you are using pool equipment. If using snooker equipment they are replaced by a red and a blue, respectively.

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just buy a 2 1/4 " snooker ball set and play on a pool table to get the scoring fiasco figured out, beyond that, none of this will feel like playing snooker till you play on a snooker table.

RubixOne

After some testing, I found that allowing the pocketed double to differ from the double that is hit first when doubles are on renders snookers moot. So I decided to change the rule to match the rule used in normal snooker. Rules file update coming soon.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome that you invented a game to match what you wanted to play. I bought pool sized snooker balls and playing with ten reds works okay, but definitely not ideal. I would definitely be open to trying your game out. Nice work.
Off to the UK in a week, so I will be playing snooker every day when I am back and probably find some time to see the family....

RubixOne

Awesome that you invented a game to match what you wanted to play. I bought pool sized snooker balls and playing with ten reds works okay, but definitely not ideal. I would definitely be open to trying your game out. Nice work.
Off to the UK in a week, so I will be playing snooker every day when I am back and probably find some time to see the family....
Thank you! I would be interested in see what you think of snookerpool. I'm guessing they have plenty of snooker tables in the UK, so you could try playing the snooker table version too if you have time.

RubixOne

After some testing, I came across a situation where a single was surrounded by doubles, and my opponent and I ended up having to foul repeatedly in order to free up the single. Because of this, I have decided to allow free balls in Snookerpool, under the same rules as in normal snooker. Rules file update coming soon.

RubixOne

After further testing, I found that the rules for fouls were overly complicated, not just for Snookerpool, but for normal Snooker as well. So I decided to replace them with a much simpler rule awarding 7 points and a free shot.
During a free shot, all balls are "on" and act as singles. After the free shot is taken, pocketed doubles are spotted, and if no foul occurs, the turn continues, even if no balls were pocketed. The shot after the free shot is played as if it was the first shot of the turn.
Rules file update coming soon.

Last edited:

Geosnookery

I admire your creativity.

I’ve played Snooker for over 5 decades and we rarely play using world Snooker foul rules. Usually it’s a foul…3 points and opponent then positions the white where he wants it. Otherwise a good player can defeat a ‘so so’ player just on running up foul points.

Also, we often use special rules when just one red and just the colours are left on the table…or a couple of colours, etc. Depends on the skill level. Otherwise too much time is spent chasing a specific ball around the table. This is likely less of an issue if playing on a smaller pool table with large 4.5 inch pockets.

Billiards foremost is suppose to be fun. When we play or I play on my own, we have literally 25 versions of Snooker, American pool etc that we play. We make up unique games all the time. Few guys go out to a baseball Diamond and play full MLB rules because they may be drafted by the Yankees one day. Yet, there is some taboo in billiards about changing rules and having fun as if everyone should be in training for the Mosconi Cup.

RubixOne

After some further testing, I found that awarding seven points when the opponent fouls is a bit much considering that there are only nine singles on the table at the start of the game. During the test I was able to score loads of points because my opponent fouled several times. So I have decided to reduce the amount of points awarded for fouls from seven to four to make it easier for a losing player to catch up.

RubixOne

I've been debating with myself during my free time whether to spot a lone 15-ball after it is pocketed on a free shot. I've decided that it should be in favor of consistency. Rules file update coming soon.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
just buy a 2 1/4 " snooker ball set and play on a pool table to get the scoring fiasco figured out, beyond that, none of this will feel like playing snooker till you play on a snooker table.

I remember several rooms in the old days that had a snooker table. I'm sure you do as well.

Oddly enough some of the uptown rents in old buildings are pretty cheap in small towns but when a space opens up
you have to get it then. You can't time getting tables with it.

All things considered it might not be a bad time in small towns to have a small room, maybe private club
under current conditions. I don't think I would want a public room though. Isn't Europe much like this?