Masters, triangle chalk becoming outdated

KUKABUKA

Big fan of the Taom because it keeps my home table/balls significantly more clean than other chalks.

However, if you don't play at home then chalk is chalk and the cheaper stuff likely does fit better with most pre-shot routines.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Having read, some of the long running thread on taom chalk.

I personally love the old masters stuff. I know SVB uses it. And ronnie and judd, still use the green triangle In snooker.
My question is: how many like myself still use it? Or have you moved over to the modern stuff?
Tweeten Fibre Co. is a Chicago company who for over 100 years, produces, Master chalk, Triangle chalk, Blue Diamond and also makes leather tips for cues.

When Ronnie O’Sullivan was in Chicago in 2016, he visited Tweeten & I dropped by to film the filming (and coerced Ronnie to autograph boxes of chalk 😝)

Ronnie ordered chalk & tips and took home quite a large order.

I, personally love their products.

Attachments

• 5BD9EEA9-5EE6-4680-ABD6-B3F5977B4B8E.jpeg
    5BD9EEA9-5EE6-4680-ABD6-B3F5977B4B8E.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 9DF5ED80-A8A6-488E-8F3B-3DBEA82BC94E.jpeg
    9DF5ED80-A8A6-488E-8F3B-3DBEA82BC94E.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 5F91261C-9103-4156-B3E9-26626A1B0168.jpeg
    5F91261C-9103-4156-B3E9-26626A1B0168.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 5EB4C940-91D2-4372-A7A7-CB8EC5D55763.jpeg
    5EB4C940-91D2-4372-A7A7-CB8EC5D55763.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 119

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No complaints with Masters silver on a grey cloth. The quality is fine. I'm simply bored and trying some Taom. And yes..the focus should be on Stroke/Table play.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I personally love the old masters stuff. I know SVB uses it. And ronnie and judd, still use the green triangle In snooker.
My question is: how many like myself still use it? Or have you moved over to the modern stuff?

So here is the thing, if I was to buy chalk to carry with me, it would not be Masters, but I have no issues at all with using it. The reason I would not personally buy one to stick in my case is because you can find Masters in 80% of places you play in, and it's more than good enough to use. So why buy what you get anyway as a default standard? I want something a bit smoother and more "fun" I guess, my go-to was the Magic Chalk or Blue Diamond, smoother but not crazy expensive. Heck, I bought some random OB and Predator chalk, just because, not because Masters was not good enough for me, but I liked having a bit different chalk than others, and OB chalk is rare to see.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like both new stuff and Master. I’ll never stop using Master-tradition and it works fine. When Kamui came out I was in pretty big action on a regular basis. $2500-$10k type action and I was using Kamui full time while in action. But when practicing I used Master.

I don’t have a good explanation as to why. I should, but I don’t.

Triangle tips all the time. Ask a side note

Fatboy <——likes tradition.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yikes, another chalk related thread. I tried Taom v10 and all the things said about it are true. But I prefer older grainer stuff, Russian Magic for home and whatever is on the table at my poolhalls/bars. For nerdy reasons that I explained in that crazy Taom thread. I'm tapped out on such a minor subject. The dude above who commented on folks needing to concentrate on stroke/game vs minor BS - is spot on IMO. But, as we age, we seem to have more time on our hands and can't play pool allllllll day... (in my case, boring work meetings give way to mindless dribble on AZB). Hoping when I retire, I won't turn into a full time forum junkie myself... almost as bad as gardening or shuffle board...
I just saw the attention that the taom thread was getting. And thought why not, do one on the traditional brands. I just like the fact, that even now there are still a lot of us that use the old stuff.

PracticeChampion

It's just sexy and means business 💪

I was on vacation and the local guy had predator chalk everywhere, nothing wrong with it either but I can't be a master without masters chalk

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220824-052409.png
    Screenshot_20220824-052409.png
    711.2 KB · Views: 57

xX-Wizard-Xx

So here is the thing, if I was to buy chalk to carry with me, it would not be Masters, but I have no issues at all with using it. The reason I would not personally buy one to stick in my case is because you can find Masters in 80% of places you play in, and it's more than good enough to use. So why buy what you get anyway as a default standard? I want something a bit smoother and more "fun" I guess, my go-to was the Magic Chalk or Blue Diamond, smoother but not crazy expensive. Heck, I bought some random OB and Predator chalk, just because, not because Masters was not good enough for me, but I liked having a bit different chalk than others, and OB chalk is rare to see.
why buy a $25 chalk when master is free everywhere you go .... and it works fine

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a fellow player get me to try a "premium" chalk. He said "You dont have to chalk every time with this stuff". I tried it, and found myself chalking every shot anyway. So what the point? It did no better then chalking every shot with Masters. For "Machine Gun" shooters, there would be a benefit I guess.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I practice at home I use the fancy chalk. When I’m out at the pool hall I use what they provide, Masters.
For me Masters works well and I’m not going to risk losing that $18 piece of chalk by having someone take it or having it roll away. Chalk is the least of my problems when it comes to my pool game.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I practice at home I use the fancy chalk. When I’m out at the pool hall I use what they provide, Masters.
For me Masters works well and I’m not going to risk losing that $18 piece of chalk by having someone take it or having it roll away. Chalk is the least of my problems when it comes to my pool game.
When I get to the pool room at opening sometimes I go on a chalk run by walking around the 7 footers and every now and then I would find a high priced cube.
But Masters and solid tips work for me.
Oh yeah solid Maple shafts also.
I get a kick out of high tech player guy.
They bring their own balls,carbon fiber shaft,high dollar chalk,glove and cant run a rack of any game,but they look good.LOL.
And sometimes they have a how to play pool book they keep looking at.

Last edited:

KUKABUKA

When I get to the pool room at opening sometimes I go on a chalk run by walking around the 7 footers and every now and then I would find a high priced cube.
But Maters and solid tips work for me.
Oh yeah solid Maple shafts also.
I get a kick out of high tech player guy.
They bring their own balls,carbon fiber shaft,high dollar chalk,glove and cant run a rack of any game,but they look good.LOL.
And sometimes they have a how to play pool book they keep looking at.
Some people have money, an interest in technology, and a desire to learn the game.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member

Last I saw Ronnie O'Sullivan was still using the yellow wrapper Triangle. That's good enough for me. I have used it for years. Have no complaints.
My experience is that people not wanting to face The Truth......... change tips, chalk, shaft, cue. ......add nausea. Watching a friend blame and abuse his serial tips, was almost like child abuse. I would gently walk away trying to conceal the chuckle until I have turned away. We all need to travel our own path. Urges at intervention are sure to be met with Ire not Ore. Walk Away. Note to self: repeat it.. now do it.
🤷