Chess Vs. Billiards

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Chess is to pool as differential equations are to arithmetic.
About how I see it. In a tactical exchange, chess generally requires you to think several steps ahead. It is rare that you need to think more than one step ahead in a tactical sequence in any pool game other than one pocket, the only pool game in which you try to gradually develop a winning position over many innings.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About how I see it. In a tactical exchange, chess generally requires you to think several steps ahead. It is rare that you need to think more than one step ahead in a tactical sequence in any pool game other than one pocket, the only pool game in which you try to gradually develop a winning position over many innings.
That is because when pool is played right, there is only 1 inning.

This is also why Snooker is more popular than pool.

mrpiper

Registered
This is actually pretty fun!

20210424_171527.jpg

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
That is because when pool is played right, there is only 1 inning.

This is also why Snooker is more popular than pool.

Idealized sports (yes your reference to 1 inning is worth a cookie) means no rules are needed, people can just stick to one exercise.

The community that keeps specific cue sports disciplines alive are clearly demonstrating the sport has interest.

In terms of Chess VS Pool, chess clearly has a move and counter move system. Yes there are many counters, some prefer in 1 step others in more. Idealized pool is logical. However rational pool (human players) are logical in many ways. Instead of winning in fewer steps, players can develop strategies for winning with specific talents. Which is why pool has more variations than Snooker, making the pool the ultimate cue sport.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They aren't even comparable.

In chess you routinely see top players studying the board for 20-30 minutes or more to calculate different variations and commit their move. In pool it rarely takes more than 30 seconds. In chess one elite game frequently takes 6-7 hours, in pool you can play a race to 25 in that time.

I love chess but it is way too much of a grind to play beyond club level. Pool has a lot of strategy but it doesn't inhibit execution. Chess is all strategy and no execution. Night and day.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Pool has a lot of strategy but it doesn't inhibit execution. Chess is all strategy and no execution. Night and day.
Very well said. Strategically, chess is probably one hundred times more complicated than pool (other than one pocket, which clearly has some chess-like elements in it). As you note, however, the act of executing a strategy, once devised, in chess involves no more than moving pieces. In pool, reaching a decision is quite simple, but executing the shot selected can be a great challenge.

As you say, and upon which I cannot improve, night and day.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very well said. Strategically, chess is probably one hundred times more complicated than pool (other than one pocket, which clearly has some chess-like elements in it). As you note, however, the act of executing a strategy, once devised, in chess involves no more than moving pieces. In pool, reaching a decision is quite simple, but executing the shot selected can be a great challenge.

As you say, and upon which I cannot improve, night and day.

Could play chess like they did in Edgar Rice Burroughs The Chessmen of Mars. That would stress execution more and certainly make chess more exciting!(grin)

Hu

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Idealized sports (yes your reference to 1 inning is worth a cookie) means no rules are needed, people can just stick to one exercise.

The community that keeps specific cue sports disciplines alive are clearly demonstrating the sport has interest.

In terms of Chess VS Pool, chess clearly has a move and counter move system. Yes there are many counters, some prefer in 1 step others in more. Idealized pool is logical. However rational pool (human players) are logical in many ways. Instead of winning in fewer steps, players can develop strategies for winning with specific talents. Which is why pool has more variations than Snooker, making the pool the ultimate cue sport.

Spoke like a college professor with no life experence but being student.

Book smart life experience dumb.

justnum

Silver Member
Spoke like a college professor with no life experence but being student.

Book smart life experience dumb.

Its clear the Pool is best. I mean the billiards is better than chess in this matchup on the forum discussion.

justnum

Silver Member
Think both sports or game take different skills.

Games are different like Watermelons, and Asparagus.

In terms of simulating on a computer chess is pong and billiards is doom. Those are computer games with computer opponents.

In terms of rules and cheating. Catching a cheater in billiards is nearly impossible, but in chess is clearly obvious.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In terms of simulating on a computer chess is pong and billiards is doom. Those are computer games with computer opponents.

In terms of rules and cheating. Catching a cheater in billiards is nearly impossible, but in chess is clearly obvious.
Is telepathy cheating?

Zerksies

Think both sports or game take different skills.

Games are different like Watermelons, and Asparagus.
Both games have different mentalities.

I find with location of the cue ball limits my choices as per shot selection. Whereas in chess I can move almost any piece that I want. I feel that i am overwhelmed to what i want to do.

justnum

Silver Member
Does it matter? What about witchcraft?
This is why the rulebook is left open ended. Whoever wrote it clearly was unaware of these future conditions or chose not to address them. In either case its a sub optimal solution.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that I know anything about it but this stuff's been around as long as people. Is the line crossed because of a device?