Earl on time clocks and extensions

L.S. Dennis

Last night I watched Earl being interviewed by Kim Davenport and Reed Pierce which has recently gone up on the probilliardstour.com website. Along with the anticipated questions like °what are the differences of the game today, and who were the better player then or now?” Earl was asked about the slow play of nineball today (as was mentioned many times on this forum during the last US OPEN) he opined that there should be a 20 second shot clock with no more that 3 or 4 extensions PER MATCH much the same as foot ball with times outs per game. I for one agree, maybe not with the 20 second clock because not everyone can play at Earl’s speed I‘d allow for a 25 second clock as is done in Asia. But the part about extensions I absolutely agree with, This would force players to use their extensions wisely during the match. He also mentioned that the size of the balls has changed over the years, this I’ve never heard of, maybe Bob could chime in on this one’

Zerksies

With regards to time most sports are around 30 seconds per play. So I disagree with his choice. Earl is a speed demon he’s trying to mess up slower players by forcing them to play faster. I’m a slower moving player. So what I do when I play a speed demon like Earl is I slow down my pace more to break their tempo and get in their head.

I would like to see an amount of extensions per match. Obviously the more games the more extensions.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His take on extensions I agree with. Everyone who plays real fast complains people are slow playing them, 90% of the time that is not true.
He's nuts and fun to listen to. I like hearing from Kim and Reed too. The mouth is as insufferable as he ever was. Glad he's not on this one.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With regards to time most sports are around 30 seconds per play. So I disagree with his choice. Earl is a speed demon he’s trying to mess up slower players by forcing them to play faster. I’m a slower moving player. So what I do when I play a speed demon like Earl is I slow down my pace more to break their tempo and get in their head.

I would like to see an amount of extensions per match. Obviously the more games the more extensions.
There is a fine line between taking your time and being a nit.

It's ok to play on the slower side, but using slow pace as a strategy is unsportsmanlike.

Not to mention it ruins the match for spectators.

L.S. Dennis

I remember Grady agreeing with Earl (posthumously) about a player taking too much time at the table. If I remember correctly he was discussing with Billy how much time time this player was taking before shooting and said something to the effect of “anyone who can’t make their mind up in more than (fill in the blank) seconds has no business at the table in the first place’

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched that interview and those were the two points I agreed with strongly. The rest, I’ll leave alone:)

20 sec per shot. 3 extensions per match. (4 came from Reed, he was putting words in Earl’s mouth).

There is nothing remotely more boring for a super fan like me than watching someone like Albin or Souquet play. I turn it right off.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched that interview and those were the two points I agreed with strongly. The rest, I’ll leave alone:)

20 sec per shot. 3 extensions per match. (4 came from Reed, he was putting words in Earl’s mouth).

There is nothing remotely more boring for a super fan like me than watching someone like Albin or Souquet play. I turn it right off.
Or Kaci!

Most of these guys can play quicker if required

CanadianGuy

Earl looks and sounds great
he remains an international treasure in this game

I hope he can maintain himself above the shoulders off the table because if he can remain a great part of this game for years to come

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or Kaci!

Most of these guys can play quicker if required
Ha! Maybe that's why I have no idea how Kaci plays. I must have turned him off every time I watched him play.

Yes, it's so true, all the slow pros can play just as good with a shot clock. I recall watching Danny Bassavich play when he was a top player and that was brutal. But the few times he was told to hurry up, he'd play fast and just as good.

pw98

Registered
Last night I watched Earl being interviewed by Kim Davenport and Reed Pierce which has recently gone up on the probilliardstour.com website. Along with the anticipated questions like °what are the differences of the game today, and who were the better player then or now?” Earl was asked about the slow play of nineball today (as was mentioned many times on this forum during the last US OPEN) he opined that there should be a 20 second shot clock with no more that 3 or 4 extensions PER MATCH much the same as foot ball with times outs per game. I for one agree, maybe not with the 20 second clock because not everyone can play at Earl’s speed I‘d allow for a 25 second clock as is done in Asia. But the part about extensions I absolutely agree with, This would force players to use their extensions wisely during the match. He also mentioned that the size of the balls has changed over the years, this I’ve never heard of, maybe Bob could chime in on this one’
Everything Earl suggests for the game is self serving. If Earl could play alright with a 7 second clock it would be 7 seconds. Earl likes to propose changes to the game he thinks will bring everyone else down to his level so he can win again like in his prime then someone challenges him on it and there is a match and he gets his ass kicked then its on to the next gimmick that will make him the greatest again....

I really don't care what he says at this point.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!

Which is why I like the shot clock.
I prefer to be beaten by skill, not boredom.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything Earl suggests for the game is self serving. If Earl could play alright with a 7 second clock it would be 7 seconds. Earl likes to propose changes to the game he thinks will bring everyone else down to his level so he can win again like in his prime then someone challenges him on it and there is a match and he gets his ass kicked then its on to the next gimmick that will make him the greatest again....

I really don't care what he says at this point.

i remember when he would beat the world if only pool tables had no side pockets. but then someone in NY made a table like that and darren drilled him.

Guy Manges

Registered
I remember Grady agreeing with Earl (posthumously) about a player taking too much time at the table. If I remember correctly he was discussing with Billy how much time time this player was taking before shooting and said something to the effect of “anyone who can’t make their mind up in more than (fill in the blank) seconds has no business at the table in the first place’
Thats why I'm not for the snooker games mixed with our west rotation games... I see as bad mistake... Guy

L.S. Dennis

Which is why I like the shot clock.
I prefer to be beaten by skill, not boredom.
Ha! Maybe that's why I have no idea how Kaci plays. I must have turned him off every time I watched him play.

Yes, it's so true, all the slow pros can play just as good with a shot clock. I recall watching Danny Bassavich play when he was a top player and that was brutal. But the few times he was told to hurry up, he'd play fast and just as good.
The main reason nineball became so popular was that it a ‘fast and loose’ fan viewing friendly game. It seems to have become the opposite of late with the slow play and seemingly endless extensions, I say 25 second shot clocks and 4 extensions per match. Let return the game to what it was supposed to be.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main reason nineball became so popular was that it a ‘fast and loose’ fan viewing friendly game. It seems to have become the opposite of late with the slow play and seemingly endless extensions, I say 25 second shot clocks and 4 extensions per match. Let return the game to what it was supposed to be.
And all balls wild! WAY more exciting. Shaw went for a few luck shots and made them in the international 9 ball finals. Way more exciting than call shot!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And all balls wild! WAY more exciting. Shaw went for a few luck shots and made them in the international 9 ball finals. Way more exciting than call shot!
For 9B I agree. I like that game. Longer races to level out the luck and because it’s fast paced longer races are possible.