Fargo question- could be a dumb one…

Nick8400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kinda stopped competing right when Fargo starting to become a thing. So if this is a silly question, pardon me…

What Fargo rating would you say could beat the 9-ball ghost on the big table? Let’s say a race to 9.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kinda stopped competing right when Fargo starting to become a thing. So if this is a silly question, pardon me…

What Fargo rating would you say could beat the 9-ball ghost on the big table? Let’s say a race to 9.
That's pretty good playing. Definit. over 600. I'd guess 650ish.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agree with about 650 .. 670.

Guy who beats the ghost is typically playing on his own table. Has the advantage of knowing the table very well.

When I played my best I'd beat the ghost more than not going to 5 or 7 games. That's with BIH after the break. Some games you lose because balls are so tied up after the break that you gotta try to break them out...because you can't safe the ghost.

My Fargo never reflected my best ability. I really don't play in much that's in the system. I'd say I was about 690 speed. Now I'm enjoying not playing and seeing I can still get out maybe 1outta 3 racks.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Do we mean beat the ghost once in a blue moon? 50% of the time or 75%+? I’ve seen this discussion here before and the estimation I agree with was that someone who wins occasionally is at least a 575 player, a person who wins at least half the time is around 625-650, and the player who rarely loses is between 675-700. I thought that sounded about right.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I don't know what beating the Ghost actually is. But if I was matched up and won 6 outta ten games, I'm good with that number all day long.

phreaticus

I have a semi related question. I often play a modifed version of the Ghost such that if I get out of line, rather than for going for a tough low probably shot to get the runout/win - I play safe. If self B doesn’t make a hit, I give BIH back to self A - for one more chance to runout and beat the Ghost that game. If self B does makes a good hit out of the safe that self A left - the game is over I lose to the Ghost that game.

I realize this isn’t official Ghost but to me it seems a bit more realistic of real world game scenarios and has me also shooting safes and working hard to escape them. In practice self A seldom actually hooks self B bad enough that I can’t kick or jump out of the safe, so it doesn’t actually make a huge difference in outcomes of Ghost but maybe gets me 1-2 more wins in a practice race to 5 or 7.
Just curious if anyone else does similar tweaks?

Cheers

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I have a semi related question. I often play a modifed version of the Ghost such that if I get out of line, rather than for going for a tough low probably shot to get the runout/win - I play safe. If self B doesn’t make a hit, I give BIH back to self A - for one more chance to runout and beat the Ghost that game. If self B does makes a good hit out of the safe that self A left - the game is over I lose to the Ghost that game.

I realize this isn’t official Ghost but to me it seems a bit more realistic of real world game scenarios and has me also shooting safes and working hard to escape them. In practice self A seldom actually hooks self B bad enough that I can’t kick or jump out of the safe, so it doesn’t actually make a huge difference in outcomes of Ghost but maybe gets me 1-2 more wins in a practice race to 5 or 7.

Cheers
I make self B the other hand. Anyone that watches Ronnie O'Sullivan has seen the value of developing the other hand.
It works for me as long as I keep them from bickering.😉

tomatoshooter

Cheers
I don't play the ghost that often, I lose enough to the living, but I do try to incorporate safeties when practicing rotation. Often, I also don't take ball in hand. I lose way more games from not being able to overcome and unfavorable position than from not capitalizing on prefect position.

tomatoshooter

I make self B the other hand. Anyone that watches Ronnie O'Sullivan has seen the value of developing the other hand.
It works for me as long as I keep them from bickering.😉
It's weird trying to set a trap for yourself because you have probably already considered potential escapes.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
It's weird trying to set a trap for yourself because you have probably already considered potential escapes.
That's a plus for practice. Since I am pretty sure what kind of escape the other hand can execute. Finding the lock-up safety is the challenge.
In competition I have encountered weaker players that think it's a good leave if it's hooked with no consideration for the distance. What's safe with a B player is a free chance for a player skilled in kicking and jumping. I have lost count of how many times I have kicked in the 8 ball. Just love the look on the face when they thought they had me.🤷 Even had one opponent run for the referee to find out if my jump bridge was legal after I jumped the 8 using it, to pocket the 6 and leave my scotch partner perfect on the 7.🤷 Practice every aspect of the game!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Just love the look on the face when they thought they had me.🤷
Rambling Grampa story alert:
Playing Mixed Scotch Doubles with the wife. We broke and ran down to our last two balls and my wife scratched attempting a difficult shape. They had 7 balls all well spread with no problem balls. He took ball in hand and played safe. I couldn't figure why as he didn't need to improve any of their balls. He leaves me behind his ball near the side rail and close to the side pocket. One of our balls was a couple of inches off the same side rail and around the second diamond. My two rail kick system showed the 8 was in the way but if I shortened it enough to clear the 8 it had a chance of being a 3 rail kick. I called it and made it. With it brushing their ball that had the other one of ours blocked. Moved it just enough and we got out. Oh the look on his 👀 face. The transition from Smug to uh what the....was priceless

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what beating the Ghost actually is. But if I was matched up and won 6 outta ten games, I'm good with that number all day long.
Seriously?? You break and get ball in hand. Balls made without scratching stay down, if you scratch they spot. Run out(slop and combos count) or lose. 9 on the snap is a win. The ghost is a helluva player, he never misses. ;) Beating the ghost to 9 on a big table is not easy.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do we mean beat the ghost once in a blue moon? 50% of the time or 75%+? I’ve seen this discussion here before and the estimation I agree with was that someone who wins occasionally is at least a 575 player, a person who wins at least have the time is around 625-650, and the player who rarely loses is between 675-700. I thought that sounded about right.
Correct...
I/we locally play exclusively on 9 foot tables.

I'm a 632 and with ball in hand can beat the ghost about 50/50 in a race to 9 on conditions I know and breaking to leave open layouts.