leather tips and PETA/vegans...?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
PETA, EARTH FIRST, or like the guy running round Globe Saving Whales Paul Watson aka Whale Wars are all on mission mission to save something.

Kill people’s fun, enjoyment, or lively hood.

Rush use to call em WACHOS, Rush Was Right.

Do I care what a Wacko PETA member thinks about Leather tips on Pool sticks, he’ll no.
Anyone who says Rush was Right seriously doesn't belong in adult conversations

Angry Old White Man Disease really doesn't allow for brain function like "considering the viewpoints of others" and your posts continue to demonstrate this

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Anyone who says Rush was Right seriously doesn't belong in adult conversations

Angry Old White Man Disease really doesn't allow for brain function like "considering the viewpoints of others" and your posts continue to demonstrate this

We’ll Rush was first an entrained who talked on Radio about thing in the News, Sports, etc.

Sure you are jelious of Rush, no reason he work for what he had.

Did lots of philanthropic work, anf left a legacy people talk about daily.

Did you ever meet Rush, you upset he did not sigh your autograph book?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is so funny. Someone asks about what vegans do instead of leather tips. Kind of an interesting question. But you get 4 pages of “Scoff at anyone that cares about the things I actively don’t care about” including two pages of mocking the Lorax for some reason because it all fits neatly into this “us vs them” mental construct the politically obsessed have to filter everything through.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well it was HiJacked.

1669339583607.jpeg

Everyone know Pool players are not PC, sure most care about whether a tip being made of Cow, Pig, or Kangroo skin. Most placer want Tip that works great. If it was made of Layered King Cobra Skin, and Worked Great that would be fine.

BTW VEGA is Apache word that translate to, Poor Hunter.🥶

Guy Manges

Registered
Hu mentioned Logging Trucks and accidents. Having spent the best part of week work story on what ChiPs Roving Mobil Commercial Traffic Officers do. I understood the more about how great most logging truck driver & 18 wheeler operate.

The area I live it was the busses that transport River Rafters that were the problem. Poor upkeep, bad brakes, and many just out of compliance. Always in accident on down hill runs.

Many times I was out bicycle riding and would hear a semi approaching from behind. Never had s problem with logging trucks, most close call were personal vehicles buzzing by too close almost hitting me.
I guess you could draft the loggers on your bicycle, Seen bicycles drafting at maybe 60+ mph... Guy

Guy Manges

Registered
We lived just a mile up the single lane dirt road that left highway 3 and went up Readings Creek(pronounced Reddings) then to Indian Creek or to Blanchard Flats . We had constant logging truck traffic. One day just beyond our house a loaded log truck lost his steering box and ended up with the cab in the shallow creek and the trailer tires 15 feet higher on the road. With the load intact but poised to go right through the cab. Good thing he knew how to secure the load.
Fire country ? ... it's been real bad last few years, I only watch and read news... Guy

Guy Manges

Registered
The side trips in this thread remind me, a company logging town was found in the piney woods of central Louisiana a few years ago. Equipment and everything, looks like they planned to come back and never did. Best I recall it was abandoned in the sixties from what evidence is there. A company store, cafeteria, barracks, a bulldozer and other equipment, best I recall. A bunch more stuff too.

The logging trucks were always getting into accidents and usually their fault for running unsafe equipment. A friend's brother in law hauled long logs. A car pulled out in front of him on a two lane. He could see it was an entire family so he pulled his truck onto a mostly nonexistent shoulder with no room to stop. When he tried to get back on the road from the much lower shoulder it popped all eight wheels off the back corner of the trailer. As could be imagined things went downhill from there in more ways than one!

The logs are positioned and bound primarily to keep them from going off the back of the trailer. These went forward, bursting through the cab. The filled up every bit of where the cab had been. However in the days before mandatory seatbelt use he fell into a space between the driver's seat and door. A space that didn't exist until the logs exploded the cab! He was banged up pretty good but no major damage, spent a couple months laid up. I saw the wreckage, looked like a miracle he walked away, at least he walked away after being extracted.

When he was able to go back to work he took the insurance money and bought a new truck and trailer, set up to haul long logs! If I kept hauling logs I think I would have at least switched to short logs.

Hu
I've seen some cabs rolled up in small ball, blew my mind how log haulers could brake and use that weight to run that fast... Guy

telinoz

Registered
Looks like, pool is not Vegan friendly.

I did some Googling..
Nobody makes any tips for playing that don't use leather.

So, a Vegan gets to break with a phenolic tip...
Then, sits down.
What league has a win for 8ball on the break?
Lol, seems perfect for a Vegan.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Fire country ? ... it's been real bad last few years, I only watch and read news... Guy
Yes we had a fire come through in the '60s maybe 64 or 65(think I was 13). We had 7 acres on the creek. When we saw the smoke called forest service and they said don't worry it's 25 miles away near Hayfork. Half an hour later we could see flames shooting up over the ridge behind us. It was late summer and popcorn fart dry. We had the Weaverville volunteer fire dept at our place as they had all helped build the house. A pump in the creek wetting around the house. Good thing we had a metal roof as embers were landing all around us. It jumped the highway the creek and the dirt road. I saw a 5 foot circle in the grass just the other side of the dirt road and maybe 20 yards away I hollered and started to run with the dozen men. My father back handed me and made me go back. They couldn't get a ring around it before it got from the dry grass to a small tree. It took off straight up the ridge. A lowboy with D-8 cat was coming up the road he stopped and the cat skinner took it straight up the steep hill to get a ring around it. He took off almost straight up like a rocket and out of sight due to trees. A minute later he came back with the blade in the air and almost free falling. Just too hot. Our house was saved but couldn't save the cabin a quarter mile away. Had B-17 borate bombers but nothing can stop a forest fire that generates it's own draft and can jump huge distances. Saw one log truck come out all pink. The borate load that hit him would have taken out a car.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is so funny. Someone asks about what vegans do instead of leather tips. Kind of an interesting question. But you get 4 pages of “Scoff at anyone that cares about the things I actively don’t care about” including two pages of mocking the Lorax for some reason because it all fits neatly into this “us vs them” mental construct the politically obsessed have to filter everything through.

that's true, but the schmidt 626 thread can give this thread the 8 and all the breaks

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it was HiJacked.

View attachment 672369

Everyone know Pool players are not PC, sure most care about whether a tip being made of Cow, Pig, or Kangroo skin. Most placer want Tip that works great. If it was made of Layered King Cobra Skin, and Worked Great that would be fine.

BTW VEGA is Apache word that translate to, Poor Hunter.🥶
And oil leaks and rust🤣

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Looks like, pool is not Vegan friendly.

I did some Googling..
Nobody makes any tips for playing that don't use leather.

So, a Vegan gets to break with a phenolic tip...
Then, sits down.
What league has a win for 8ball on the break?
Lol, seems perfect for a Vegan.
They are hard tips obviously but Hammerhead 2 and White Diamond are entirely playable for regular pool. Use a good chalk, dress them with sand paper every few hours and actually possess a stroke. I can draw as much with my break tip as I can with anything else.

There are other tips, I think tiger is one that many use.

If someone is really devoted to no animal products they can learn to play with these tips. I've done it for funsies and it's not much of a detriment. If anything it will teach a player a proper stroke and learning angles faster.

Sure, it would be nice for them to have a selection of tip hardness to choose from but you have to adapt. It's a material science problem at this point. The niche market within a niche market makes it hard to invest in.

https://sugru.com/ might be worth experimenting with. Maybe some kind of erasure material, maybe acrylic putty, resin impregnated cork... the idea is someone has to care enough about it to DIY and get a workable solution for it to become a reality.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are hard tips obviously but Hammerhead 2 and White Diamond are entirely playable for regular pool. Use a good chalk, dress them with sand paper every few hours and actually possess a stroke. I can draw as much with my break tip as I can with anything else.

There are other tips, I think tiger is one that many use.

If someone is really devoted to no animal products they can learn to play with these tips. I've done it for funsies and it's not much of a detriment. If anything it will teach a player a proper stroke and learning angles faster.

Sure, it would be nice for them to have a selection of tip hardness to choose from but you have to adapt. It's a material science problem at this point. The niche market within a niche market makes it hard to invest in.

https://sugru.com/ might be worth experimenting with. Maybe some kind of erasure material, maybe acrylic putty, resin impregnated cork... the idea is someone has to care enough about it to DIY and get a workable solution for it to become a reality.
A White Diamond is a layered tip.
The website says it uses a "specially selected fiber" for the layers. Its possible the "fiber" is actually leather, infused with some type of resin. I've looked closely at one and it appears to be so. But admittedly I'm speculating.

It the case that it is, I guess its back to the drawing board for the vegans.
1669383324210.png

Tadaimarlon

I'm not vegan/vegetarian, but I play with this tip. It's a "plastic" tip made in Japan. I got tired of reshaping my layered tips all the time, this one keeps the shape forever and I like how it plays.

It's a very new tip, hasn't been on the market for long.

IMG20220726202629.jpg
23-43-59-01.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A White Diamond is a layered tip.
The website says it uses a "specially selected fiber" for the layers. Its possible the "fiber" is actually leather, infused with some type of resin. I've looked closely at one and it appears to be so. But admittedly I'm speculating.

It the case that it is, I guess its back to the drawing board for the vegans.
View attachment 672429
no leather in WD tips. layered polymer.