Earl Strickland's Equipment (Mosconi Cup)

mescarcega

During the press release, Earl talked about evolving with the game to keep up with the young guns. Therefore, he changed his equipment, but it almost seems like its regressing in a way

Earl claims to be playing with a 15 mm shaft with a phenolic ferrule and G2 tip. It also seems to be torrfied. What I don't really understand is how this is an evolution in the game. Earl himself has pioneered revolutions in equipment himself, like the longer, heavier cue (not to mention the arm weights lol).

His shaft seems to be a walking contradiction. You would normally use a torrified shaft for lower deflection. However, he is using a long phenolic ferrule. Depending on the type of ferrule, you could get a lower density ferrule since the range of density is 1 - 1.6 grams/cm^3. Common ferrule materials (Elforyne, Aegis) usually have a density of around 1.6 grams/cm^3. A lower density ferrule could potentially be revolutionary for low deflection, but Earl is using a longer ferrule, which defeats the purpose since maple is less dense than phenolic and a shorter ferrule would provide less deflection. Also, if we're talking about deflection, 15 mm would certainly contribute to the end-mass of the shaft. On a side note, shooting with 13 mm already feels like using a battering ram on a door. I can't imagine shooting with 15 mm.

I guess Earl is comfortable with this setup so good on him for that. I just don't understand whats so "evolved" about his shaft. His shaft is built with elements of low deflection, but the overall construction doesn't lend itself to low deflection. Thoughts?

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts are: Earl is declining because of age and is trying all things to slow it down. He can't help but keep working and trying new things. I admire his ethic. I also think it is all pointless outside of the placebo effect.

FunChamp

I don't think Earl is concerned with deflection. I imagine it's that way for other reasons that he deems important.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny... I thought this thread was going to be about him using a short stick...lol
B5B25934-0021-4F29-BB4A-874A07809726.jpeg

xX-Wizard-Xx

During the press release, Earl talked about evolving with the game to keep up with the young guns. Therefore, he changed his equipment, but it almost seems like its regressing in a way

Earl claims to be playing with a 15 mm shaft with a phenolic ferrule and G2 tip. It also seems to be torrfied. What I don't really understand is how this is an evolution in the game. Earl himself has pioneered revolutions in equipment himself, like the longer, heavier cue (not to mention the arm weights lol).

His shaft seems to be walking contradiction. You would normally use a torrified shaft for lower deflection. However, he is using a long phenolic ferrule. Depending on the type of ferrule, you could get a lower density ferrule since the range of density is 1 - 1.6 grams/cm^3. Common ferrule materials (Elforyne, Aegis) usually have a density of around 1.6 grams/cm^3. A lower density ferrule could potentially be revolutionary for low deflection, but Earl is using a longer ferrule, which defeats the purpose since maple is less dense than phenolic and a shorter ferrule would provide less deflection. Also, if we're talking about deflection, 15 mm would certainly contribute to the end-mass of the shaft. On a side note, shooting with 13 mm already feels like using a battering ram on a door. I can't imagine shooting with 15 mm.

I guess Earl is comfortable with this setup so good on him for that. I just don't understand whats so "evolved" about his shaft. His shaft is built with elements of low deflection, but the overall construction doesn't lend itself to low deflection. Thoughts?
why are people so stuck on low deflection

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd love to see a video of earl showing what's in the case. He'd love my sneaky which is oversized length and 13.5mm tip I bet.

Torrefied doesn't mean LD. They are not related. The phenolic ferrule is not adding a ton of squirt at this point. I bet he likes the color contrast on the cb. Maybe he thinks the contract patch
Is bigger with a larger tip? He's accurate enough to control deflection, that's why he doesn't care about carbon most likely. The wrap build up intrigues me as well. I understand he doesn't want to "feel" the cue. The padded grip with larger dia gives him a lighter grip pressure. They've been making oversize putters in golf for years for this reason. You can hear when earl is shooting just by they way his cue sounds compared to the other players.

So yeah, I'd say he's a pioneer. Popularized the long cue, used break cues when they were first becoming a thing. Shooting glasses in the past to minimize glare. Why wouldn't you want any advantage or tech to make you feel comfortable at that level?

FunChamp

I'd love to see a video of earl showing what's in the case. He'd love my sneaky which is oversized length and 13.5mm tip I bet.

Torrefied doesn't mean LD. They are not related. The phenolic ferrule is not adding a ton of squirt at this point. I bet he likes the color contrast on the cb. Maybe he thinks the contract patch
Is bigger with a larger tip? He's accurate enough to control deflection, that's why he doesn't care about carbon most likely. The wrap build up intrigues me as well. I understand he doesn't want to "feel" the cue. The padded grip with larger dia gives him a lighter grip pressure. They've been making oversize putters in golf for years for this reason. You can hear when earl is shooting just by they way his cue sounds compared to the other players.

So yeah, I'd say he's a pioneer. Popularized the long cue, used break cues when they were first becoming a thing. Shooting glasses in the past to minimize glare. Why wouldn't you want any advantage or tech to make you feel comfortable at that level?
This is just me personally, but I have found that (I shoot with a Joss currently) a larger butt diameter keeps me from curling my wrist under on follow through as opposed to a really thin butt.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
This is just me personally, but I have found that (I shoot with a Joss currently) a larger butt diameter keeps me from curling my wrist under on follow through as opposed to a really thin shaft.
BINGO! 3C players have known this for decades, by using rubber grips on cues to beef up the butt diameter without a lot of weight!
95% of Top 3C players use a 'Piston' stroke, Straight-thru, horizontal and vertical.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member

His shaft seems to be a walking contradiction. You would normally use a torrified shaft for lower deflection. However, he is using a long phenolic ferrule. Depending on the type of ferrule, you could get a lower density ferrule since the range of density is 1 - 1.6 grams/cm^3. Common ferrule materials (Elforyne, Aegis) usually have a density of around 1.6 grams/cm^3. A lower density ferrule could potentially be revolutionary for low deflection, but Earl is using a longer ferrule, which defeats the purpose since maple is less dense than phenolic and a shorter ferrule would provide less deflection. Also, if we're talking about deflection, 15 mm would certainly contribute to the end-mass of the shaft. On a side note, shooting with 13 mm already feels like using a battering ram on a door. I can't imagine shooting with 15 mm.

I heard him say 15mm but I doubt it. G2's as well as most modern tips are 14mm. 15mm would be a log.

https://www.pooldawg.com/g2-pool-cu...st premium billiards,par with Moori and Kamui.