Mosconi cup

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I completely agree with you.. Earl was not selected because of his play. He also doesn't attract crowds because of play. You're kidding yourself if you think it has something to do with 'celebrity status'.

I'll also agree that he is a legend. However his legend has been morphing over the years and I personally believe his invite has more do to with the current version rather than his running/gunning ability from years gone by.
I think you're kidding yourself if you think Earl Strickland has no celebrity status in the pool world, but thanks for sharing your opinion.

When people grow old, they cannot play as well as they did in their prime, but they are still respected as a legend, just like Jimmy White and Stephen Hendry. They can't play well today, but they're still respected by their peers and by the sports world, including the fans and current pros.

Unbelievable the opinions shared in this thread about a 61-year-old Hall of Famer and world champion giving it his all. It's a privilege for some of us to see him compete at this level. For others, Earl has a target on his back for know-it-alls who sit behind a computer and spew their words of wisdom.

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
Thank you Jam for that... Guy
I think Shaw is playing to audience, he is playing the role of 'bad guy' nicely and I don't think his gesture was meant to disrespect Earl. Although Earl himself is known to be quite disrespectful towards his opponents so even if someone does that to him, I call it being even.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Reminded me of Kazakis' win over Shane in the finals of one of the world championships last year was it? Broke the best set of his life and steamroller Shane. Styer could not make a ball on the break so it was like winner breaks in this match as well.

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
Earl may not be in his prime, but he’s proven he’s still capable of catching lightning. I like him, but even for those who don’t it’s undeniable that he’s a true legend of our sport. I’m really rooting for him to finish strong.
Reminds me of this quote from dark knight ..“You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain”