Shane Van Boening on "60 Minutes," December 4, 7:30 p.m. Eastern

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane in the lineup. Looking forward to this.
8AA091DE-EED7-4714-9B9D-B6A23DB2C3F3.jpeg

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
60 Minutes started a few minutes late. If you are wanting to record it, I’d set the DVR to record the stupid movie after, just in case the segment on Shane runs past 7:30 CST.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
60 Minutes started a few minutes late. If you are wanting to record it, I’d set the DVR to record the stupid movie after, just in case the segment on Shane runs past 7:30 CST.
The link I provided above has the segment in it's entirety- https://www.cbsnews.com/video/shane-van-boening-pool-60-minutes-video-2022-11-27/#x

Nice profile of Shane. However, they did somewhat misrepresent him as he is known for being a great money player- far from really opposed to gambling.

Nevertheless, I'm happy pool is getting attention in the general public.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
A wide range of feelings for the production.

Best line: The fog machine the only thing that smokes at a pool tournament.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the key demographic that sponsors/advertisers look for? Wonder what the average age of a 60 minute viewer is?
Nice segment but not gonna change anything.
Pool and gambling are like peanut butter and jelly and that's what should be promoted. I'm sorry. Maybe I should of said 2 man tournament.
Always thought Harry Platis' idea of doing pool like jai alai was genius.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
What's the key demographic that sponsors/advertisers look for? Wonder what the average age of a 60 minute viewer is?
Nice segment but not gonna change anything.
Pool and gambling are like peanut butter and jelly and that's what should be promoted. I'm sorry. Maybe I should of said 2 man tournament.
Always thought Harry Platis' idea of doing pool like jai alai was genius.

I don't think Matchroom was trying to reach new pool players with this segment. The plan (if any) is probably to use this coverage when pitching business to corporate partners as an example of pool moving into the modern world and towards a viable sport.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Matchroom was trying to reach new pool players with this segment. The plan (if any) is probably to use this coverage when pitching business to corporate partners as an example of pool moving into the modern world and towards a viable sport.
Didn't know Matchroom produced this.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
pool wont get an audience until it changes the games it plays. no one wants to watch someone just play himself and run balls. they want a back and forth contest with another person. shot by shot.
tennis. golf to a measure. soccer. basketball etc. it needs to be a moving sport with many instant wins, excitements and loses.
its too much like bowling now, and it needs changing for the public to come around.
look how bowling has died as a tv sport.