Question: Nine-ball leaves the table and winner can't be identified on a bar table

RubixOne

So you are playing nine-ball on a bar table (the kind of table where you need to pay to play a game), and you sink the 9-ball, but by some stroke of bad luck, by the time someone notices this, the winner cannot be identified. What happens next?

Note that spotting the 9-ball is not an option here, since sunk balls are inaccessible without paying again.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you are playing nine-ball on a bar table (the kind of table where you need to pay to play a game), and you sink the 9-ball, but by some stroke of bad luck, by the time someone notices this, the winner cannot be identified. What happens next?

Note that spotting the 9-ball is not an option here, since sunk balls are inaccessible without paying again.
That’s not bad luck, that’s having too many drinks! I would say you either split it 50/50 on paying for the next game and then replaying the game, or at that point, if there are still a number of balls on the table, both players agreeing to designate the highest numbered remaining ball on the table as the winning ball.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Use the 10 ball as a replacement for the 9 ball. ...
If this is not immediately obvious to anyone, they should not be playing 9-ball on a bar box.

I spent a night watching a friend of mine trim the suckers in a 9-ball ring game at an all-night bar. When the 9 was made early, you just racked up any nine balls and continued. The players had no trouble with the ball order as the 5 and 13 were still orange.🍊(y)(y)(y) It was a proper bar table with a giant cue ball. Follow is your friend.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
If this is not immediately obvious to anyone, they should not be playing 9-ball on a bar box.

I spent a night watching a friend of mine trim the suckers in a 9-ball ring game at an all-night bar. When the 9 was made early, you just racked up any nine balls and continued. The players had no trouble with the ball order as the 5 and 13 were still orange.🍊(y)(y)(y) It was a proper bar table with a giant cue ball. Follow is your friend.

Follow for dough!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Two options:

1) Scrap that game because both players should have noticed the 9 ball was pocketed.

2) Use one of the balls # 10-15 in place of the 9 ball...spot it and play on. No harm no foul.

++ consider a cab or friend for a ride home for both players.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would not judge this too quickly LOL, I know off the top of my head at least two games I played in against other good players where we shot a few balls in and then noticed the 8 or the 9 was missing :eek:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would not judge this too quickly LOL, I know off the top of my head at least two games I played in against other good players where we shot a few balls in and then noticed the 8 or the 9 was missing :eek:
And then there is the video of a pro match where both players seemed to think a ball had gone in on the break when in fact one had just hung up. The breaker continued to shoot -- I don't remember if he got a break-and-run. :eek:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And then there is the video of a pro match where both players seemed to think a ball had gone in on the break when in fact one had just hung up. The breaker continued to shoot -- I don't remember if he got a break-and-run. :eek:

It's on the great shots AccuStats video, the announcers were talking about it since the official game was "won" by the breaker but since they did not pocket a ball they had no idea how to mark it up for the statistics. Technically it was a dry break, but then a run out LOL, so how do you mark that?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's on the great shots AccuStats video, the announcers were talking about it since the official game was "won" by the breaker but since they did not pocket a ball they had no idea how to mark it up for the statistics. Technically it was a dry break, but then a run out LOL, so how do you mark that?
I suppose you have to call it a moist break. Might be a special kind of B&R. Technically, the foul is the breaker shooting the 1 ball but that foul is forgiven if nothing is said as soon as he shoots at the 2.