Delaminated Tip from Predator -

cvoseeg

I bought a BK rush just under 60 days ago - have used it approximately 25 - 30 times. The center of the tip came off. Anyone else had this happen (see pictures). I called and opened a warranty claim to be told they need proof of purchase, sure no problem I send this along and receive an email stating they do not sell the tips and charge $55 dollars to replace it. All I wanted was a replacement tip for an obvious defective tip, nope, they won't send you one, but have the audacity to tell you its 55.00 charge for a new one. You would expect better customer service and warranty for as much as they are over charging for their products. Buyer beware when dealing with Predator Group.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for submitting this information. We do not sell our BK tips separately. But we can replace the tip for you. Bk tip repairs are $55 plus the return shipping. If you would like to send your shaft in for repair, please follow this link https://support.predatorgroup.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=10890742764435 and fill out the required information.

Once you complete this form, we can authorize the repair request and send you the RMA# and shipping information.

Sincerely,

Attachments

• 69007918783__A21E2ECB-61B4-40C7-BB31-89CA732DFE70.jpg
    69007918783__A21E2ECB-61B4-40C7-BB31-89CA732DFE70.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 69007916836__525B8BD5-20A3-4B54-A7C7-C9BC49B21C6F.jpg
    69007916836__525B8BD5-20A3-4B54-A7C7-C9BC49B21C6F.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_9964.PNG
    IMG_9964.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 142

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, I've seen this happen a few times. I just shape the tip again. Warranty issues can be hit or miss with places.
I also agree with above about getting a white diamond, although that will soften up the hit a bit.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, I've seen this happen a few times. I just shape the tip again. Warranty issues can be hit or miss with places.
I also agree with above about getting a white diamond, although that will soften up the hit a bit.
huh? it won't soften the hit at all. the Pred. break tip doesn't seem all that hard to me. I've only hit a few racks with one and was not all that impressed to be honest. My 100buck J&J with the WD breaks every bit as good.

cvoseeg

Replace it with a White Diamond. About 10bux plus install.
Thank you for the tip suggestion. Haven't tried one of those yet, will have to look into them as well. If I keep the overpriced POS it would probably get a Samsara or Bulletproof , it was more about the how they don't take care of customers when it's an obvious defect.

It would have cost them what 50 cents for a stamp and envelope and off it goes in the mail and its over and done with. Nope not them, its all about the $$$$ they can charge you.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the tip suggestion. Haven't tried one of those yet, will have to look into them as well. If I keep the overpriced POS it would probably get a Samsara or Bulletproof , it was more about the how they don't take care of customers when it's an obvious defect.

It would have cost them what 50 cents for a stamp and envelope and off it goes in the mail and its over and done with. Nope not them, its all about the $$$$ they can charge you.
Not a Pred homer but most co's don't cover tips.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
huh? it won't soften the hit at all. the Pred. break tip doesn't seem all that hard to me. I've only hit a few racks with one and was not all that impressed to be honest. My 100buck J&J with the WD breaks every bit as good.

I've hit with several of the BK Rush cues, the tip is harder than the white diamond stock. Not some great difference like going from a phenolic tip but enough that some people that tried the difference did not like it.

Samsara is also a great pick for a tip.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've hit with several of the BK Rush cues, the tip is harder than the white diamond stock. Not some great difference like going from a phenolic tip but enough that some people that tried the difference did not like it.

Samsara is also a great pick for a tip.
felt softer to me. tried the gator, samsara and the clear poly tip. didn't like any compared to a WD. i did like whatever comes on the Cuetec break cue but i'd never pay 600bux for a break cue.

cvoseeg

Not a Pred homer but most co's don't cover tips.
When you pay the premium for item such as this, for a specific use case and its an obvious defect. Yes I hold them accountable, especially since you cant buy the tip as they state. They didn't even offer a call tag so it would be even more for me to send it to them. Just piss poor customer relations, on top of trying to gouge valid concerns for more money.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you pay the premium for item such as this, for a specific use case and its an obvious defect. Yes I hold them accountable, especially since you cant buy the tip as they state. They didn't even offer a call tag so it would be even more for me to send it to them. Just piss poor customer relations, on top of trying to gouge valid concerns for more money.

Often what a customer thinks the company is liable for and what the company puts out in the warranty what they are liable for don't match. If you buy a rope and it breaks while lifting a $10,000 piano, the rope company will happily send you a new coil of $20 rope.

Tips wear out, they have no way of knowing how you were using or treating yours, you could have been sanding it or shaping it not the best way, miscuing often, etc...

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Same thing happened to me. It must have been a defect in that batch of tips. I just sent it to Seybert's and had them install a Samsura break tip. The Samsura is a hybrid, resin-infused leather tip, the same as the stock predator tip.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, you may not be aware, but there are things a player can do that DELAMINATEs their own TIPs.

a) Turn the chalk on the tip--you are supposed to brush the tip from the center of the tip towards the edge.
b) when shaping tip--you stroke the file/sandpaper from the center of the tip towards the edge while rotating the shaft.
c) When using a tip pick--you plunge the tip into the tip at the center and scrape towards the edge.

Transverse (around the tip) forces of the sandpaper or abrasive will pull on the glued seams on the laminated tip.
Sanding from the edge towards the center of a laminated tip is just about guaranteed to delaminate a tip.
Even burnishing the tip can delaminate it (less often than the other cases)

cvoseeg

Ok, you may not be aware, but there are things a player can do that DELAMINATEs their own TIPs.

a) Turn the chalk on the tip--you are supposed to brush the tip from the center of the tip towards the edge.
b) when shaping tip--you stroke the file/sandpaper from the center of the tip towards the edge while rotating the shaft.
c) When using a tip pick--you plunge the tip into the tip at the center and scrape towards the edge.

Transverse (around the tip) forces of the sandpaper or abrasive will pull on the glued seams on the laminated tip.
Sanding from the edge towards the center of a laminated tip is just about guaranteed to delaminate a tip.
Even burnishing the tip can delaminate it (less often than the other cases)

MitchAlsup, Great info thanks for that.

Good thing I never shaped it, sanded it, or even pricked it. Just chalked it and correctly based on your description. Didn’t even have a maintenance arbor for it till today, my atlas order just came in. Will have to see if I can get a decent shape out of what’s left or replace it.

Also interesting that others have seen the same/similar thing happen.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is the same attitude that Apple has about their new iMac desktops. Buyer beware; the new silicon chip based iMacs CANNOT be upgraded. If you find you need more storage or RAM, you are SOL. You’ll have to buy a new $1600.00 (or more) computer just to replace cheap RAM and storage. Talk about greedy and a money grab! Thanks for letting me get this off my chest!!

da065786

I agree with going White Diamond. Ive tried the Bulletproof tip. Still using it. It's a decent break tip, but sucks at jumping. I'm going back to White Diamond.
Same Same... White Diamond is great for Break and Jump! I did, however, recently install a clear polymer tip like Bulletproof on one of my several jump cues and it can jump but not well. I have tried nickel and quarter shape with poor results. It feels like it grips to well unless I remove all chalk and then it does not grip at all. I am not ready to scrap it yet though... Because it feels soft when jumping, I have cut the tip down by half from 8mm to 4mm and going to try it out in the next day or so.

VVP

Registered
I bought a BK rush just under 60 days ago - have used it approximately 25 - 30 times. The center of the tip came off. Anyone else had this happen (see pictures). I called and opened a warranty claim to be told they need proof of purchase, sure no problem I send this along and receive an email stating they do not sell the tips and charge $55 dollars to replace it. All I wanted was a replacement tip for an obvious defective tip, nope, they won't send you one, but have the audacity to tell you its 55.00 charge for a new one. You would expect better customer service and warranty for as much as they are over charging for their products. Buyer beware when dealing with Predator Group.
My tip flew off with the V-tek silencer. The cue was still under warranty and Predator offered to replace the tip for free once I shipped the shaft to them. I did not want a phenolic tip so I asked them to send me the V-tek silencer and I had a "pro" install a Samsara tip for me along with the silencer. I have been happy with the break cue since then.