Gorina Basalt cloth

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Asked on the mechanic's forum but no reponse.
Can anyone give me their opinion of Gorina Basalt cloth?. Good, bad, fast, slow, etc.
Mitch

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
We have a few bars in my area that use the cloth and It is a nice cloth for the price. The cloth is fast wears about the same as Simonis. All in all it is a great cloth. When I hold league tournaments I make sure that those bars are reserved for the 6-8 skill levels because they have the best kept equipment and I hate playing on crap!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I like Gorina Basalt a lot...plays about like 860 Simonis.
I also like Tournament 2000...plays faster than Simonis 760.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
cloth

This cloth is 88% worsted wool and 12% nylon. It is the professional’s choice. “Worsted” means only the longest wool fibers give it a superior weave construction for exceptional durability and appearance. No pilling or grooving, and a flat, consistent playing surface for fast speed with maximum cue ball control. Basalt ensures long life without limiting speed or consistency.

Last edited:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I like this cloth & never understood why it never had the popularity of Simonis.

Very similar to Simonis 860 without any of the pilling problems that seem to have popped up with Simonis the last few years. Great cloth, plays very true

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
A very good and fast cloth. It feels a little thinner that the 860 but wears ok.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently started playing in a pool room with Granito cloth. It feels rough on my bridge hand, but it plays great. I don't know which version of Granito it is.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Basalt has short nap and is a little heavier than the GT2000, both are 80/20 wool/nylon. I would guess that the GT would be closer to 860hr or 760.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is muellers.com still the go to on this? that's where I bought mine.
I have the 2000, going on 6 years, not a really a hard use, but used with what some would say is hard clean, seems to be fine.
It has been said, here, more than once,
'dam! that's fast', on a scratch.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The carom place I play at uses gorina carom cloth and it is definitely a premium product
For 30 years I put Granito M on my table. It seemed very slightly faster than 300. 24" is all.

My last install I elected for Simonis only becauae most public rooms use it and my mechanic sticks it.

I'm not unhappy with the choice & don't regret choosing Gorino either.

Years ago Gorina & Simonis traded places as official cloth for UMB tournaments. Some years both were accepted.

The point is... Gorina is a fine quality billiard cloth weaver.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For 30 years I put Granito M on my table. It seemed very slightly faster than 300. 24" is all.

My last install I elected for Simonis only becauae most public rooms use it and my mechanic sticks it.

I'm not unhappy with the choice & don't regret choosing Gorino either.

Years ago Gorina & Simonis traded places as official cloth for UMB tournaments. Some years both were accepted.

The point is... Gorina is a fine quality billiard cloth weaver.
What does 24" mean? Further?

I played on an AMF covered in Gorina. Played like lightning. Could stroke nearly anything effortlessly at wizard level.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does 24" mean? Further?

I played on an AMF covered in Gorina. Played like lightning. Could stroke nearly anything effortlessly at wizard level.
Yes further with max stroke.
Very unscientific. Just seemed faster.