Raschig new old stock review

SeniorTom

There is absolute proof at least some part of the balls shrunk over time. One look at the numbers sunken in and you can see it with the naked eye. If the numbers shrunk that much (not due to wear), it's not a stretch to think that the body of the ball also shrunk (not due to wear). I don't know the mechanism for this, but I'd imagine it's something along the lines there is a solvent used during the manufacturing process that has evaporated over the years, and the material shrinks as a result. That's how wood shrinks when it gets old, it dries out. I know pool balls are man made, but there may be something similar going on.

I have more measurments I can take to investigate this further. My main set of balls is an Aramith super pro set bought about 15 years ago new. I measured the diameter of each ball in 3 places (just like the Rashig) when they were new. I've been using this set for years, playing 9 ball 95% of the time, and straight pool 5% of the time. Now, if I measure them again today, and the difference in diameter for all 16 balls is the same, that would lead to shrinking being the dominant factor in ball size reduction, not wear. On the other hand, if the CB got much smaller than the 1-9, and 1-9 got much smaller than 10-15, that would lead to wear from play (friction plus impacts) being the dominant cause of ball size reduction.
The more I think about it, the more I think it's got to be shrinkage. If balls wore down due to friction they would wear down very unevenly and one could notice that in the way they react on the table, like wobble.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15 years ago, how did the cue ball compare to the rest of the set?

Here is my original data taken in dec 2008. I've been at this for a long time:):):) I have not measured this set since. Its a lot of work to measure the whole set well.

Attachments

• SCR-20230111-wvy.png
    SCR-20230111-wvy.png
    434 KB · Views: 48

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sure it's just me, it's late, having a bit of a sweet tooth craving right now,
those raxus31 wish set of balls having the texture, the look of a master pastry chef cheesecake version in different flavors,
they look good.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my original data taken in dec 2008. I've been at this for a long time:):):) I have not measured this set since. Its a lot of work to measure the whole set well.
Thank you very much! Have you started the new table on the current dimensions of the Aramith balls?

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Came out of retirement for this frigging thread.

REAL RASCHIG BALLS HAD A CUEBALL WITH A DOT, NOT A CUEBALL WITH A CIRCLE!

Fake balls maybe? Who knows.
They were the best balls EVER created and unfortunately were only in existence very briefly.
Centennials had nothing on Raschigs.

Maybe someone tried to cash in on that?
Having seen many sets of Raschigs 30 years ago, these balls are fake in my book.

Maybe that explains why they are shriveling up too.

Attachments

• 76BB9C4E-C7BF-44F9-A4BB-2D609B227156.jpeg
    76BB9C4E-C7BF-44F9-A4BB-2D609B227156.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 46

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They were the best balls EVER created and unfortunately were only in existence very briefly.

Having seen many sets of Raschigs 30 years ago, these balls are fake in my book.

So, if they are fake, who made them?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I get home I’ll check my sets

I have one set I bought in 88 or 89, when ever they made their way into Modesto Ca I bought a set new.

I have other sets I picked up in cologne Germany from a friend on a trade deal.

Now I’m curious

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If phenolic does in fact shrink, Rashig Balls (no matter how good they may have been) are also subject to the phenomena as well. Based on all the weights and measurements highlighted in this thread, perhaps the aren't (weren't) as goos as they were built up to be.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Every set I ever saw whether someone’s personal set, or a set they had in a pool room in the late 80s early 90s, all had a black dot. Not a circle.

iusedtoberich is more than familiar with counterfeit stuff coming out of China. If someone wants something pirated, China can make it.
It could also be that someone swapped out the cueball. Saw that happen in the pool room on a number of occasions where a customer liked the way the Raschig cueball played way better than their aftermarket red or black circle, where the owner had to confront the customer to get the cueball back.

But if this was sold as a new old set, the cueball alone would make me suspect of the whole set.
And IMO, it ALL goes down the toilet the instant someone chimes in with some nonsense anniversary or re-issued set before they stopped production altogether. If someone claimed that these balls were from some last manufacturing run, I would think every set they sold is fake. I’m sure someone will also bring in some German set vs American set nonsense too.

I guess I just saw too many original sets of these balls back when you could get them.
For me, it’s black dot all the way or it’s fake.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
If phenolic does in fact shrink, Rashig Balls (no matter how good they may have been) are also subject to the phenomena as well. Based on all the weights and measurements highlighted in this thread, perhaps the aren't (weren't) as goos as they were built up to be.
Could very well be 100% true. Probably is now that I think about it.
I mean, other than collecting, who in their right mind is gonna keep a set of balls for 30 years?
With normal play, cueball would be out of round and so would the 1 ball after a couple years and then a new cueball gets swapped in and then eventually, a new set of balls when they start to suck.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ball counterfeiters which are usually in the East…..they copy everything
The far east guys are johnny-come-latelies when it comes to manufacturing phenolic resin pool balls. They, however, have been very active, along with companies from around the world, including right here in the US, in the manufacture of polyresin balls. Only recently, and Garczar is on top of this, have the Chinese, Japanese, and Taiwanese been building phenolic resin balls, and they were brought into the business by Saluc. When your Raschig balls were built, there were only 5 companies capable of manufacturing phenolic resin balls in the whole world. Les Usines used to mimic some of ABB Co's designs. So did LaDecalite. Raschig built a copy of Brunswick's (ABB Co.) Royal Centennial, but they called a "tribute" ball. Few here know the relationship between CBB Co. and ABB Co. A large portion of "Hyatt" balls were actually manufactured by CBB Co. and shipped to Albany as blanks.

"iusedtoberich" purchased his balls new from a reliable source and in their original packaging. There is an ongoing undercurrent about pool ball forgeries and yet no one has ever come forward with a forged ball with unimpeachable provenance. I might be wrong, but I think it was Cyclop who was the first far east manufacturer of phenolic resin balls to come onto the scene, and that was, relatively speaking, just recently.

Furthermore, if Raschig was aware, as they would have been, of any attempts at forgeries of their world famous ball, they would have done something about it.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
You came back with a bang. Ha ha ha.
I mean, you’re posting up stats on a potential fake set of balls. 😂

And I know you don’t remember the color of the blue of the 2 and 10ball.
Real Raschig Blue was lighter in color if my memory serves me correctly.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The far east guys are johnny-come-latelies when it comes to manufacturing phenolic resin pool balls. They, however, have been very active, along with companies from around the world, including right here in the US, in the manufacture of polyresin balls. Only recently, and Garczar is on top of this, have the Chinese, Japanese, and Taiwanese been building phenolic resin balls, and they were brought into the business by Saluc. When your Raschig balls were built, there were only 5 companies capable of manufacturing phenolic resin balls in the whole world. Les Usines used to mimic some of ABB Co's designs. So did LaDecalite. Raschig built a copy of Brunswick's (ABB Co.) Royal Centennial, but they called a "tribute" ball. Few here know the relationship between CBB Co. and ABB Co. A large portion of "Hyatt" balls were actually manufactured by CBB Co. and shipped to Albany as blanks.

"iusedtoberich" purchased his balls new from a reliable source and in their original packaging. There is an ongoing undercurrent about pool ball forgeries and yet no one has ever come forward with a forged ball with unimpeachable provenance. I might be wrong, but I think it was Cyclop who was the first far east manufacturer of phenolic resin balls to come onto the scene, and that was, relatively speaking, just recently.

Furthermore, if Raschig was aware, as they would have been, of any attempts at forgeries of their world famous ball, they would have done something about it.
Cosmos from South Korea has been in business a while. They are pretty popular in the 3C world. They make their own pool ball sets and have private labeled sets for Olhausen and Predator.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cosmos from South Korea has been in business a while. They are pretty popular in the 3C world. They make their own pool ball sets and have private labeled sets for Olhausen and Predator.
When did they open? When did they start making phenolic resin balls?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"2013 Launched Phenolic Diamond Billiard Ball"

Their involvement in the manufacture of phenolic resin balls is just 10 years old.