Raschig new old stock review

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Here's my take on the forgery discussion.

SUPERSTAR: You are basing your assessment on a cue ball that could very well be a cue ball from a different manufacturer all together. Just because the cue ball doesn't appear to be original doesn't mean the rest of the set is fugazi. It is very plausible someone swapped out the cue ball at some point. I've seen several Aramith Tournament sets for sale with mismatched cue balls. Does that mean those are fake too? Also, your cue analogy is apples to oranges. Spinning a cue on a lathe is child's play compared to making phenolic pool balls.

IF (big if) a Chinese manufacturer were counterfeiting Raschig balls, don't you think they would be/would have been readily available on eBay. Amazon, Alibaba, etc.? To Boxcar's point, the tooling and R&D to pull off a fake set worthy of discussion with some of the world's foremost phenolic pool ball collectors is a massive undertaking. IF (big if) a manufacturer were to go through the expense to do this, they'd be selling them all over the place to recoup the initial investment and to make a profit. I don't recall ever seeing a huge flood of Raschig balls in the marketplace. If I did, I most certainly would have purchased a set. No one is pulling off fake pool balls to produce a small quantity and lurk in the shadows. There are knock off Aramith sets all over Alibaba and Amazon. If there were Raschig sets, they'd be there right along side them.

I have already stated multiple times that it very well could be that someone swapped out the cueball.
It is IMO most definitely not original.
As for the whole counterfeit China production alibaba thought...

RubeCube said this (see picture)
A guy that apparently collects pool balls.
So with that in mind, where and when were those Raschigs he mentioned, manufactured? And why?

Do you recall seeing a huge flood of THAT type of Raschig ball on the marketplace anywhere?

If there are indeed counterfeits of some types of Raschig balls (like cube mentions he is in possession of), if they aren’t for sale on every website, that kind of takes the whole mass production theory out of play.
If there are a few fake sets of those types of balls that Cube is talking about floating around out there, why is it that there can’t be some sets like the one iusedtoberich is testing, floating around out there as well?

If iusedtoberich set is fake, that will never be determined in this lifetime.
But that cueball isn’t original IMO and for me, if I were spending my money, i wouldn’t believe the set is original either.
If it’s “old new stock” and therefore, untouched, the cueball should be untouched and original as well. Not some aftermarket replacement.

Attachments

• D2945E49-2BE8-4E92-A53F-E2DA68098AA2.jpeg
    D2945E49-2BE8-4E92-A53F-E2DA68098AA2.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 46

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have already stated multiple times that it very well could be that someone swapped out the cueball.
It is IMO most definitely not original.
As for the whole counterfeit China production alibaba thought...
You've also stated in multiple posts the entire set is fake because the cue ball is incorrect. You even confirm my observation by clearly stating below, "If iusedtoberich set is fake, that will never be determined in this lifetime. But that cueball isn’t original IMO and for me, if I were spending my money, i wouldn’t believe the set is original either. If it’s “old new stock” and therefore, untouched, the cueball should be untouched and original as well. Not some aftermarket replacement." If your opinion on the subject isn't black and white, I don't know what is.

RubeCube said this (see picture)
A guy that apparently collects pool balls.
So with that in mind, where and when were those Raschigs he mentioned, manufactured? And why?

Do you recall seeing a huge flood of THAT type of Raschig ball on the marketplace anywhere?

If there are indeed counterfeits of some types of Raschig balls (like cube mentions he is in possession of), if they aren’t for sale on every website, that kind of takes the whole mass production theory out of play.
If there are a few fake sets of those types of balls that Cube is talking about floating around out there, why is it that there can’t be some sets like the one iusedtoberich is testing, floating around out there as well?
I do not know when those sets were reproduced or by whom, but I suspect Rupert knows. My assumption is they were manufactured before the influx of Chinese phenolic ball manufacturers who hit the scene in the early part of this century. If one of these Chinese manufacturers were knocking off Raschig ball sets they wouldn't be shy about it as evidenced by the amount of counterfeit Aramith balls available, both private labeled and being presented as authentic Aramiths. One could only assume the same path would be taken IF Raschigs were being knocked off. It's interesting to me why the forger only endeavored in the Raschig Bumblebees. Easiest to knock off? Certainly a set with inlaid numbers would be exponentially more difficult to manufacture. Maybe they didn't have the capability or the tooling. Who knows? Maybe you're right and there are thousands upon thousands of Raschig numbered set forgeries out there. I think it's a stretch but that's just my humble opinion.

Last edited: