4-1/8” Corners at the Derby?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just heard this from someone, is it true? 4-1/8” corners is significantly tougher than 4-1/4” corners, although on newly installed Simonis cloth, seems reasonable to me.

Only possible issue might be how this will lengthen the average match time, and whether they’ll be able to keep the tournament on schedule.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like the future of Professional Pool can be found in the size of pockets. Now, if MR can just calculate how to time matches to coordinate with regularly scheduled commercials, they'll be a lock. Let's see, if we make those corners 3 15/16", a game should last about 13 minutes.

Last edited:

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully you’re correct about the pocket size.

Maybe they can still stay on schedule, even if it means later last rounds of the day each night. I have a feeling they’ll get it done somehow.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are on the small side -- after a few days play it's gonna be tough.

There's a new CB too.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_6589.JPG
    IMG_6589.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 152
  • imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 149

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like the future of Professional Pool can be found in the size of pockets. Now, if MR can just calculate how to time matches to coordinate with regularly scheduled commercials, they'll be a lock. Let's, if we make those corners 3 15/16", a game should last about 13 minutes.
The Derby is an open / amateur tournament, even though its top finishers is dominated by pros. This is my concern in regards to the tight pocket specs.

I’m curious to hear feedback from someone here who has had a chance to play on these tables? Although the tables may be playing reasonable now, over the next 9 days, they will get tougher every day.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Derby is an open / amateur tournament, even though its top finishers is dominated by pros. This is my concern in regards to the tight pocket specs.

I’m curious to hear feedback from someone here who has had a chance to play on these tables? Although the tables may be playing reasonable now, over the next week plus, they will get tougher every day.

I am told by someone in the banks that they are OK.

But I agree with you. Come Wednesday night or so it will not be so much fun.

Lou Figueroa

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am told by someone in the banks that they are OK.

But I agree with you. Come Wednesday night or so it will not be so much fun.

Lou Figueroa
I think it’s safe to say that those playing in the bank and one pocket draws are higher skilled players, on average, than those in the 9-ball draw.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are they going to do this to other sports too? Maybe the NBA could have smaller hoops, NFL could narrow goal posts or the NHL could have smaller goals. Pro pool is turning into a circus! Maybe the next US Open they’ll have to shoot while standing on one leg. Other sports have regulation size hoops, goals, .. etc. Seems like the color of balls, pocket size, color of cloth change with each tournament.. no standards

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just heard this from someone, is it true? 4-1/8” corners is significantly tougher than 4-1/4” corners, although on newly installed Simonis cloth, seems reasonable to me.

Only possible issue might be how this will lengthen the average match time, and whether they’ll be able to keep the tournament on schedule.
Or are those just on the Bigfoot?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Are they going to do this to other sports too? Maybe the NBA could have smaller hoops, NFL could narrow goal posts or the NHL could have smaller goals. Pro pool is turning into a circus! Maybe the next US Open they’ll have to shoot while standing on one leg. Other sports have regulation size hoops, goals, .. etc. Seems like the color of balls, pocket size, color of cloth change with each tournament.. no standards
Maybe they should allow 'walk ons' to those sports if you pony up a couple hundred bucks and see if they should tighten up those items during professional games...lol. The reality is the only thing that makes pool more difficult for pros is the size of the pockets. Despite what some may want to believe. You don't need to be an athlete to compete at the highest level.

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’m curious to hear feedback from someone here who has had a chance to play on these tables? Although the tables may be playing reasonable now, over the next 9 days, they will get tougher every day.
I’ll try to remember to give feedback. It’ll definitely affect amateurs more than pros, but tighter pockets is better than looser pockets as far as I’m concerned. Glad they didn’t go the other way and make them 4 and a half inches.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
during the chohan/filler 1 pocket action match on poolaction tv
scott frost mentioned all the tables are 4.25 inches

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
during the chohan/filler 1 pocket action match on poolaction tv
scott frost mentioned all the tables are 4.25 inches
The table in the pool action tv room is always tighter than the others. There’s usually one more that’s as tight in a single room without cameras. I’m assuming outside of theses 2 tables, Scott could be right. I’ll know by Monday or Tuesday if the 2 I speak of are still tighter than the rest.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Bigfoot table is 4.125" corners for sure. They stated that multiple times on the Accustats stream.
Maybe that’s the table my buddy was talking about when he was referring to the tables being 4–1/8”. That would certainly make more sense.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the table I mostly play on at my buddy’s house. He converted his garage into a man cave.
Incredible sound system, 2 big screen TV’s, really comfortable furniture and a damn tough table.

I posted some photos some time ago but it plays as tough as any tournament table I’ve been around.
You can get decent consecutive runs of balls but no one so far has reached a 4th rack in 14.1. Nope,
sooner or later those tight corner pockets seem to jump up and bite you at the worst moment in a run.

Attachments

• A4B4DAC7-F61F-4454-8CE9-E950EDD0AE9C.jpeg
    A4B4DAC7-F61F-4454-8CE9-E950EDD0AE9C.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 3E14141C-8B5F-4A82-BA8D-61C2F5A2F2F3.jpeg
    3E14141C-8B5F-4A82-BA8D-61C2F5A2F2F3.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 77

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

According to an article on the azbilliards front page:

One more thing; BIGFoot’s tight, pro-cut pockets are now tighter – 4 1/8” tight! Do not try this at home!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the table I mostly play on at my buddy’s house. He converted his garage into a man cave.
Incredible sound system, 2 big screen TV’s, really comfortable furniture and a damn tough table.

I posted some photos some time ago but it plays as tough as any tournament table I’ve been around.
You can get decent consecutive runs of balls but no one so far has reached a 4th rack in 14.1. Nope,
sooner or later those tight corner pockets seem to jump up and bite you at the worst moment in a run.
14.1 was not meant to be played on pockets any tighter than 4-1/2”. Even the great Ray Martin told me that.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 was not meant to be played on pockets any tighter than 4-1/2”. Even the great Ray Martin told me that.
All I am saying is when you perform well, it makes it a bit more satisfying.
It was the very same when I golfed and played courses that had higher
ratings and slopes above 135, preferably mid-forties. You make some
birdies and you realize even a pro would have a hard time doing better.

Those courses don’t give up eagles very often & I’ve only had one hole
in one in my life and two eagles so birdies on those courses excite me.
It’s like running the rack on a 10’ table; it’s harder than a 9’ and feels better.
The harder the challenge, the more satisfying is one’s success, at least for me.

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I’ll try to remember to give feedback. It’ll definitely affect amateurs more than pros, but tighter pockets is better than looser pockets as far as I’m concerned. Glad they didn’t go the other way and make them 4 and a half inches.
They don't have to be 4.5, but there is a lot of wiggle room between 4 1/8th and 4.5 as someone who donates to the one pocket div, I would rather play a little looser than 4 1/8th