Call shot

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exhibit A and Exhibit B why I actually favor that the current WPA 10-ball rules is call shot.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yep. At higher levels of play 'flukes' do happen but not all that often.
The far more difficult game of snooker is not played called shot chiefly because the players and fans of snooker don't whine and whine when the occasional fluke happens. Pool players call the FBI when a roll causes them hardship.

Can't say I particularly like call shot games in general, and I have always believed that the call shot rule (player calls, referee repeats but few can hear it) had much to do with the end of the straight pool era.

That's why blackball is a better game than eight ball and 9ball is a better game than 10ball.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most the people I play don’t play slop. If you slop a ball it stays down and your opponent has the option of shooting where they lie or giving it back. Of course tournaments are different but just between my group of friends we never play slop

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most the people I play don’t play slop. If you slop a ball it stays down and your opponent has the option of shooting where they lie or giving it back. Of course tournaments are different but just between my group of friends we never play slop
In private circles, aesthetics are big. Take biker bars and their silly rules; it's what they comprehend about the ritual. Wild rotation games as well. Long strategies, unpredictable/unforeseeable turns, more ground to cover. The most cash is in the pockets of the biggest average.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and why would you?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were obviously playing 9 ball. So, It's pretty simple really.

If you want to play any ball down counts, play 9 ball.

If you want to play all call shots, play 10 ball.

In a world were everyone is crying about consistent rules, there's always someone that wants to change everything. Leave it alone and just play 10 ball if you want call shot.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The far more difficult game of snooker is not played called shot chiefly because the players and fans of snooker don't whine and whine when the occasional fluke happens. Pool players call the FBI when a roll causes them hardship.

Can't say I particularly like call shot games in general, and I have always believed that the call shot rule (player calls, referee repeats but few can hear it) had much to do with the end of the straight pool era.

That's why blackball is a better game than eight ball and 9ball is a better game than 10ball.
Are you suggesting that 8 ball and straight pool should not be call shot?

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were obviously playing 9 ball. So, It's pretty simple really.

If you want to play any ball down counts, play 9 ball.

If you want to play all call shots, play 10 ball.

In a world were everyone is crying about consistent rules, there's always someone that wants to change everything. Leave it alone and just play 10 ball if you want call shot.
I agree with you. I'm okay keeping 9-ball the way it is. And I'm okay keeping 10-ball the way it is (call shot). Variety is good.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you. I'm okay keeping 9-ball the way it is. And I'm okay keeping 10-ball the way it is (call shot). Variety is good.
I like Derby City 10ball but i'd like to see the 10b have to be called. That's how we generally play.

DeeDeeCues

Call, not call, really doesn't make much difference once a person has been playing a couple of months. The luck evens out, and the better one gets the 'luck' is a calculated shot.

Laugh about it if it happens to your opponent, be humble if you benefit.

dquarasr

Registered
The reality is that in those two videos the beneficiaries of the flukes had put themselves in position to win with a runout. So an occasional fluke might be forgivable especially if no rules are violated.