JONATHON HENNESSEE PINEGAR

SEB

Crazy he lost that game because he didn't know they changed the knocking balls off the table rule
He knew the rule. 100%.

He was dead to rights the way the balls were laying so he pretended that he didn’t. Rewatch it…he tries to figure out how to follow the ball in and finally says to hell with it.

It gave him an excuse to lose. Henney got beat that game from an impossible layout. At one point EVERY SINGLE ball was on his side and somehow Tony found a way.

He knew the rule.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
He knew the rule. 100%.

He was dead to rights the way the balls were laying so he pretended that he didn’t. Rewatch it…he tries to figure out how to follow the ball in and finally says to hell with it.

It gave him an excuse to lose. Henney got beat that game from an impossible layout. At one point EVERY SINGLE ball was on his side and somehow Tony found a way.

He knew the rule.
I wouldn't exactly call it giving him an excuse to lose, there was literally nothing that could be done except an even more impossible shot .

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is the consequence now? Loss of game?
Interesting question. 99.9% of the time anyone would do the jump off the table move, It would be on the opponent’s game winner. I suppose if it were done prior to the game ball, it would be a loss of game since it was clear not to do that.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
He knew the rule. 100%.

He knew the rule.
I think this was the game:

1675017301492.jpeg

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this rule was in place last derby too, no? plus this was round 15 so hard to believe he didn't know the rule. brainfarts happen, though.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this was the lay.

i don't know if the 8 banks. maybe kickable, with crazy luck. but he could also have tried to curve and scratch

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129_194229_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230129_194229_Chrome.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 149

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
this was the lay.

i don't know if the 8 banks. maybe kickable, with crazy luck. but he could also have tried to curve and scratch
Usually pretty easy to scratch in when you curve that shot, happened lots for me, though I know in that moment it's harder to think super well lol

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this rule was in place last derby too, no? plus this was round 15 so hard to believe he didn't know the rule. brainfarts happen, though.
if the rule was mentioned the first day and the situation doesnt happen in all your other matches its possible to forget a derby city only tournament rule
jmho
icbw
i was sleeping when it happened so i didnt see it

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was crazy that he forgot the rule that was enforced the whole tournament. To be very fair, his chances from that position were nearly zero. He’d have to have kicked and followed. As it was, I believe he had to partially jump the blockers.
I am a bit confused by the ruling. At the player meeting they said the new rule is that if the cueball jumped off the table while an object ball was pocketed in the opponent's pocket, that the ball counted for the opponent. In Pinegar's case BOTH balls jumped off the table. Since the OB did NOT go in the opponent's pocket how could it be counted as the opponents ball? It seems to me that the ruling was NOT consistent with the new rule but in fact was simply a foul because the OB went off the table. Should have been spotted and ball in hand for the opponent?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am a bit confused by the ruling. At the player meeting they said the new rule is that if the cueball jumped off the table while an object ball was pocketed in the opponent's pocket, that the ball counted for the opponent. In Pinegar's case BOTH balls jumped off the table. Since the OB did NOT go in the opponent's pocket how could it be counted as the opponents ball? It seems to me that the ruling was NOT consistent with the new rule but in fact was simply a foul because the OB went off the table. Should have been spotted and ball in hand for the opponent?
I’m sure they said that “if the ball was hanging in the pocket,” not “it if was pocketed.” They have talked about this rule for a while. You jump the cueball to try to get that scratch, it’’a no good. They wanted to get away from that move, period.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy he lost that game because he didn't know they changed the knocking balls off the table rule
Maybe and maybe not. If he shot the jump shot harder, the cue ball could have gone over the object ball hung in the pocket, hit the back rim of the pocket and rebounded back on the object ball. Both balls could have come to rest on the table bed. No foul involved.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Maybe and maybe not. If he shot the jump shot harder, the cue ball could have gone over the object ball hung in the pocket, hit the back rim of the pocket and rebounded back on the object ball. Both balls could have come to rest on the table bed. No foul involved.
Yeap just like you say, maybe, maybe not

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd be interested to see their definition. I assume the ball has to be declared hanging prior to the shot.
Here's what they say on their Rules page:

If the cue ball or an object ball is jumped off the table to prevent an object ball from counting toward the opponent's ball count, the object ball will go in the opponent's pocket and count toward their ball count and it is a foul and cue ball in hand behind the head string for the opponent.​
So apparently the object ball doesn't have to be hanging and doesn't have to be pocketed on the shot for the rule to be invoked.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd be interested to see their definition. I assume the ball has to be declared hanging prior to the shot.
I was giving the logical and most plausible of what someone probably said at the player meeting that someone may have misheard or misunderstood as “pocketing the object ball,” using my understanding of what the rule really was.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... So apparently the object ball doesn't have to be hanging and doesn't have to be pocketed on the shot for the rule to be invoked.
So if my opponent has a cluster of six balls around his pocket and I'm desperate to clear them out and I smash them like a break shot and because of the goofy rail two balls sail into the audience, do both balls count for him? I think more thinking is needed.