Does the chalks affect the amount of spin?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If a player drills a hole into (regular) chalk, they don't know how to chalk. If you look at the worn chalk in poolrooms the conclusion is obvious: almost no players know how to chalk. I think for the vast majority of players learning how not to do the hole-boring stupidity is far more important than the brand they use. And if you look at the chalk at major tournaments -- private or public pieces -- none of it has bore holes.

Also, because most players chalk badly, most players have learned that they cannot spin the ball without miscuing. "I never would have thought I could hit the ball that far off center," is a comment I hear very frequently from students who have been playing anywhere from 1 to 40 years. Sad.

Maybe the shape of Taom keeps players from doing their borer thing. Maybe it gets them to actually look at the tip -- which many players never do. If it just does those two things I suppose it's worth the price but maybe there's no reason for a second piece.

The anti-skid properties of Taom are widely reported. That is very important to top players. For them, a skid at the wrong time can be the difference between winning and losing because they may miss only two or three balls in a match or sometimes none at all. Any skid might cost them a game or two.

On the other hand, I've also heard reports of more miscues with Taom. I think John Schmidt and Oscar Dominguez were both using Taom in their just-finished one pocket match and I think I saw two miscues in a few hours of watching. Whether that was from the chalk or from lack of chalk or from still learning chalking technique with the new shape is unknown. One pocket does require a lot of at-the-edge cueing.

dquarasr

Registered
''I usually chalk only once per rack.''

Your above comment.... I'd not recommend this.
I'm not throwing mud; I just think chalking, is a good habit to form.

Also, if you go to a real pool room nowadays, the wear patterns on the house chalk cubes is a tell.
When you're playing for money, it's not that big a deal to chalk up more, house chalk is free. :)

HNY

bm
I am always aware of how much chalk I have on my tip. I know that after 3-4-5 shots I need to look at the tip, and I do. Sometimes I'll look at it more often, especially if my next shot is off CB center. If it looks as though it needs chalk, I chalk. Using Taom V10, I can easily go a complete rack of 9-ball (including my misses, so figure 9-12 shots per rack), without chalking.

Chalking / no chalking doesn't seem to matter one way or the other because I typically chalk before I view the table for my next shot. I do not use chalking as part of my PSR. I often chalk while walking around to my next shot, put the chalk down, then contemplate my shot. My PSR begins when I stand at the table deciding my next shot parameters and I'm always already chalked at that point Agreed, however, if your PSR includes chalking, then of course, by all means, don't remove it from your PSR. Taom V10 may not be necessary for you if chalking is part of your PSR.

At the pool hall when I am using Masters house chalk, of course, I chalk EVERY shot.

dquarasr

Registered
If a player drills a hole into (regular) chalk, they don't know how to chalk. If you look at the worn chalk in poolrooms the conclusion is obvious: almost no players know how to chalk. I think for the vast majority of players learning how not to do the hole-boring stupidity is far more important than the brand they use. And if you look at the chalk at major tournaments -- private or public pieces -- none of it has bore holes.

Also, because most players chalk badly, most players have learned that they cannot spin the ball without miscuing. "I never would have thought I could hit the ball that far off center," is a comment I hear very frequently from students who have been playing anywhere from 1 to 40 years. Sad.

Maybe the shape of Taom keeps players from doing their borer thing. Maybe it gets them to actually look at the tip -- which many players never do. If it just does those two things I suppose it's worth the price but maybe there's no reason for a second piece.
Whether using Taom V10 or Masters, I always swipe the tip and look at it as I'm chalking. I swipe the chalk across the outer edge in a circle, then work my way to the center of the tip. I try not to bore it. Before I bought Taom, my Masters chalk at home wore fairly evenly across the surface.

But that doesn't mean I'm not boring.:D

SeniorTom

On the other hand, I've also heard reports of more miscues with Taom. I think John Schmidt and Oscar Dominguez were both using Taom in their just-finished one pocket match and I think I saw two miscues in a few hours of watching. Whether that was from the chalk or from lack of chalk or from still learning chalking technique with the new shape is unknown. One pocket does require a lot of at-the-edge cueing.
I wonder if certain players think it will grip better so they take it a bit more to the extreme and miscue? I am a APA 5 rated player, and my preditor chalk works just fine for me.

Zerksies

Me too. Don't want chalk that I have to remind myself to use.

pj
chgo
Before all this expensive chalk came out i was using master chalk and would probably go about 5-6 shots before i reapply, now with this $20 chalk i don't feel so bad for not chalking so often it was designed to last that long.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before all this expensive chalk came out i was using master chalk and would probably go about 5-6 shots before i reapply, now with this $20 chalk i don't feel so bad for not chalking so often it was designed to last that long.
With Master chalk, you had a perfect opportunity to build chalking into your pre shot routine to where you didn't have to think about it and it didn't distract you from playing in the zone. How often do the pros chalk these days?

Reactions: bbb

Zerksies

With Master chalk, you had a perfect opportunity to build chalking into your pre shot routine to where you didn't have to think about it and it didn't distract you from playing in the zone. How often do the pros chalk these days?
I've seen Gorst go a rack without chalking and he's currently using V10

SeniorTom

I know I should chalk more often, sometimes I'll go 5 shots without chalking. If I have a shot that needs a lot of action I generally chalk, but should be doing it more. I actually want to make more of my routine. I don't care how much the chalk costs, if I need to chalk I will do it, just need to understand it's importance and make it more of the routine. I use preditor chalk, 5 pcs for $20.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another problem is that most pool players don't cover their tips with chalk properly when they do chalk. If you drill a hole into the chalk, you are doing it wrong. Most of the chalk at pool halls has holes drilled.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seen it a few weeks ago, I don't remember which tournament it was
Very strange. Were you looking specifically for how many times a player chalked during a game? I don't think I would have picked up on that, just watching a match.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very strange. Were you looking specifically for how many times a player chalked during a game? I don't think I would have picked up on that, just watching a match.
You might notice it by sort of following along with your own preshot routine and getting a feeling that something is missing. I've only noticed failure to chalk when looking for it as for Ronnie O'Sullivan's 147 snooker game in 5:08. He didn't chalk every time.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I usually chalk without looking in my normal preshot but I try to remember to look if I'm really spinning the ball. I think very few players look every time.
My chalking routine:

1. hold my cue upright with the butt on the floor
2. chalk the tip's edge (hold the chalk at an angle at the tip's outer edge surface and rotate my cue so it chalks evenly all the way around)
3. chalk the tip's center (hold the chalk flatter and swipe across the tip's surface a few times, turning the cue a little for each swipe)

I normally do this while standing in one place looking at the table, planning the shot - only looking at the tip occasionally.

pj <- I know you wondered
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My chalking routine:

1. hold my cue upright with the butt on the floor
2. chalk the tip's edge (hold the chalk at an angle at the tip's outer edge surface and rotate my cue so it chalks evenly all the way around)
3. chalk the tip's center (hold the chalk flatter and swipe across the tip's surface a few times, turning the cue a little for each swipe)

I normally do this while standing in one place looking at the table, planning the shot - only looking at the tip occasionally.

pj <- I know you wondered
chgo
Sounds pretty much like the way I do it but I don't bother to chalk the center.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
why?
is it because its the slope of the tip that contacts the cue ball most of the time?
I suppose it's that and the fact that miscues are less likely when hitting nearer the center of the tip.

I still don't have the courage.

pj <- not Bob
chgo

Reactions: bbb