Cue Tip Contact Myth-Busting Truths in Super Slow Motion

jollyrodger

#1 Troublemaker
Silver Member
One note on the experiment and why PJ's method may actually be better than the cue rig...
Assuming that efficiency of energy transfer is better for a hard tip (proven and agreed upon I hope), the same swing of the same cue will actually produce slightly more speed (and spin) with the harder tip. Probably within the range of acceptable length of shot (and therefore speed) BUT by accepting only shots that travel the same distance we actually isolate the spinrate better than by controlling the swing of the cue which in theory should produce slightly different speed and length shots due to hit efficiency.

this might work. but it would take forever to determine what shots are acceptable and who would determine if they are acceptable. if its the shooter then it would be biased.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
how do you get spin with out speed?
You don't - but that's not the question here.

The question here is how do you change the ratio of spin to speed? Hitting harder/softer or using a harder/softer tip doesn't do that - only hitting a different distance from center does. This difference (and why it matters) is at the heart of your misunderstanding.

pj
chgo

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the words of the Doctor, "This is simply false."

Sigh
With all due respect, energy transfer is a function of the coefficient of restitution (COR), and if you go to the Doctor's archives, you will see that he found the COR to depend on tip hardness.

Let's try to be consistent.
Of course COR within the normal tip material range is dependent on the hardness. That is wholly aligned with everything that’s been said.

Please see the toxic thread. This is also why.

jollyrodger

#1 Troublemaker
Silver Member
You don't - but that's not the question here.

The question here is how do you change the ratio of spin to speed? Hitting harder/softer or using a harder/softer tip doesn't do that - only hitting a different distance from center does. This difference (and why it matters) is at the heart of your misunderstanding.

pj
chgo

what about not using a tip? will that affect spin?

WobblyStroke

So far only side-spin off the rails has been considered. What about draw? What about cut spin induced throw?

Hard and soft do the same? I don't think so.
A ball that is cut by another spinning ball doesn't care about how and with what that spin got there but only the amount of spin, so the throw question is out imo.

As for draw vs sidespin, my initial thought was that a ball doesn't care if you hit 2 tips low or 2 tips to the side, the amount of spin that the ball takes on will be proportional to the offset from center regardless of axis. Then the 'what ifs' came in.... like what if the hard tip causes the ball the hop more than a soft tip, reducing friction with the cloth and the effective amount of spin on the ball due to less being dragged off? Hmmm. Still think that difference is probably negligible and the offset from center will determine the spinrate, but I can't be sure.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigh

Of course COR within the normal tip material range is dependent on the hardness. That is wholly aligned with everything that’s been said.

Please see the toxic thread. This is also why.
COR is a measure as defined in the work of Dr. Dave is a measure of the transfer of linear kinetic energy. Rotational kinetic energy is not considered.

Therefore, sigh. What you wrote is not useful to the present analysis.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i believe the point PVC is making is that you would need a method that is repeatable by anyone. my experience in the scientific community is if the experiment can not be accurately duplicated using the same variables. then the experiment is null. so assumptions can be made. but facts can not be confirmed until it can be duplicated and recreated.
In the absence of scientific equipment, you just creat a lot of data. Remove the top and bottom 20%, and average the rest. That will all but eliminate the oddball shots.

Last edited:

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A ball that is cut by another spinning ball doesn't care about how and with what that spin got there but only the amount of spin, so the throw question is out imo.
The cb acquired it's spin from its collision with the tip. So, the spin induced throw is quite relevant.

Simple example:

Have you ever noticed going from playing with a hard tip to a soft tip (or the reverse) that the cut angle changes slightly when you use english? Balls that you expect to make can hang up in the pocket due to this unintentional spin.

As for draw vs sidespin, my initial thought was that a ball doesn't care if you hit 2 tips low or 2 tips to the side, the amount of spin that the ball takes on will be proportional to the offset from center regardless of axis. Then the 'what ifs' came in.... like what if the hard tip causes the ball the hop more than a soft tip, reducing friction with the cloth and the effective amount of spin on the ball due to less being dragged off? Hmmm. Still think that difference is probably negligible and the offset from center will determine the spinrate, but I can't be sure.

In the language of Doctor Dave, I believe it has a "noticeable" effect. In any case, I'm not yet convince that the myth is busted.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Whoever you are, Texas3cushion, you got balls to get on here and challenge His Eminency, Dr. Dave.

That's why i think you should try a "POOL TAKES BALLS" tshirt, available in a wide array of colors and styles for as low as $19.95 at:

https://drdavebilliardtshirts.com/product-category/humor/pool-takes-balls/

View attachment 688636View attachment 688636

You can find other neat pool shirts and knick knacks that'll be sure to impress all your friends at:

https://drdavebilliardtshirts.com/
Since "pool takes balls" is it safe to assume that you do not play??:):)

WobblyStroke

Have you ever noticed going from playing with a hard tip to a soft tip (or the reverse) that the cut angle changes slightly when you use english? Balls that you expect to make can hang up in the pocket due to this unintentional spin.
I just meant that if we test for spin differences like in the experiment we been discussing all morning, what effects that spin has on spin induced throw is secondary as SiT is determined by the amount of spin, regardless of how that spin got there.

I have noticed this same difference. However, that difference exists between cues and any time I was comparing soft/hard tips, I was using different cues rather than using the same cue and changing tips. I attributed the difference to the deflection differences between cues.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just meant that if we test for spin differences like in the experiment we been discussing all morning, what effects that spin has on spin induced throw is secondary as SiT is determined by the amount of spin, regardless of how that spin got there.

I have noticed this same difference. However, that difference exists between cues and any time I was comparing soft/hard tips, I was using different cues rather than using the same cue and changing tips. I attributed the difference to the deflection differences between cues.

Deflection is definitely a factor, if you change shafts. But if you only changed the tip...hard to soft let's say...? Then deflection is not a factor, since it depends on the tip-end mass of the shaft.

WobblyStroke

Deflection is definitely a factor, if you change shafts. But if you only changed the tip...hard to soft let's say...? Then deflection is not a factor, since it depends on the tip-end mass of the shaft.
Agreed, but when you noticed the differences is that how you did it? I didn't go hardcore into these tip hardness differences to the point of switching tips on my cue (esp since I know I don't want a hard one on my player anyway). So when using different cues with different tips, I generally attributed the difference on these types of shots to slight differences in deflection rather than anything else.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes And no. A hard tip is actually denser than a soft tip so it has more mass. Therefore Theoretically, a hard tip will deflect slightly more than a soft tip. But For all practical purposes it is almost immeasurable

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, but when you noticed the differences is that how you did it? I didn't go hardcore into these tip hardness differences to the point of switching tips on my cue (esp since I know I don't want a hard one on my player anyway). So when using different cues with different tips, I generally attributed the difference on these types of shots to slight differences in deflection rather than anything else.

Good points. I'll tell you where I'm coming from...I often played off the wall, usually a 20 oz. house cue. The deflection is pretty much the same, but sometimes the tip is hard, and sometimes it's soft. So I think I can reasonably attribute the differences in action to the tip hardness.