Cue Tip Contact Myth-Busting Truths in Super Slow Motion

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe the “soft tips impart more spin“ argument could work like this: Because softer tips hold chalk better, and therefore miscue less often, you can confidently get further out to the side of the cue ball, and therefore get more spin.

That is plausible, especially if the people with that belief don't chalk carefully and often enough. In my experience, the hard playing tips I have used hold chalk fine. Phenolic tips are a different story.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A better way to convince the skeptics might be to provide the following data for your test:
  • Spin rate of cue ball
  • Acceleration of cue
  • Acceleration of cue ball when struck
This way they will not be able to argue that more spin is being imparted.

If any skeptics doubt my results, they should do the simple fast-speed and slow-speed tests on their own. They are easy and don't take very long. It is easy to get the aim, miscue limit, and speed dialed in after just a few shots.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
A better way to convince the skeptics might be to provide the following data for your test:
  • Spin rate of cue ball
  • Acceleration of cue
  • Acceleration of cue ball when struck
This way they will not be able to argue that more spin is being imparted.
I can tell you without doing much thinking that the cue right at the moment before contacting the cueball will be at nearly zero acceleration.

You don’t need the spin rate if the cueball goes to the same spot. You just need to confirm you hit the same spot on the cueball . That’s the beauty of the proposed test shots. You don’t need to measure spin rates. But if you could (of course anything can be measured… the technology is available, at a price), then the spin rates would have to be the same.

chenjy9

I can tell you without doing much thinking that the cue right at the moment before contacting the cueball will be at nearly zero acceleration.

You don’t need the spin rate if the cueball goes to the same spot. You just need to confirm you hit the same spot on the cueball . That’s the beauty of the proposed test shots. You don’t need to measure spin rates. But if you could (of course anything can be measured… the technology is available, at a price), then the spin rates would have to be the same.
I absolutely agree. It was just a suggestion to help shut up people looking for a reason to cast shade on Dr. Dave's video.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I absolutely agree. It was just a suggestion to help shut up people looking for a reason to cast shade on Dr. Dave's video.
I don’t think there’s anything he can do to convince people to change their mind on something that they have had ingrained as their standard belief for their whole playing life. In the end, if someone likes a softer tip, the good news is that it won’t matter.

chenjy9

I don’t think there’s anything he can do to convince people to change their mind on something that they have had ingrained as their standard belief for their whole playing life. In the end, if someone likes a softer tip, the good news is that it won’t matter.
100%, still fun to slap people's faces with facts though. :)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok Dave the test shows max results.... wich is great. But wich setup do you FEEL was easiest to achieve consistent good maximum spin for you?

Both tests honestly felt equally easy. Now, if I had used much more speed, the faster speed test would have been more difficult since the stroke looses accuracy at faster speeds. I felt very consistent with both my fast-speed and slow-speed strokes in the video.

I ask because u didn't show all attempts just the most consistent ones.

I took a larger number of shots with each cue/tip and each speed to guarantee I was getting the maximum spin for each. I also miscued often with both speeds and all cue/tip combos since I was pushing the limit of what was possible. I showed only the best shot for each, where I got the maximum spin reaction. The bests for each cue/tip and for each speed all matched very well.

CERTAINLY you have a preference for wich is more consistent. Obviously your not as comfortable with the breaker. Otherwise everyone would just play the whole game with a break cue

Honestly, I did seem to miscue a little more often with the break cue at first, partly because I probably wasn't chalking carefully enough. But when I used Master chalk and chalked carefully while looking at the tip to make sure I had good coverage, the hit seemed just as reliable as the other cues/tips.

How many shots did u take with each how many times u miscue with each.

I took probably about 20 shots with each and miscued about half the time with each (a little more with the break cue at first) since I was really pushing the limit of what was possible. Again, I wanted to find the most spin each cue/tip could impart.

Was the breaker always your last attempt? If so your already warmed up .

I was well warmed up before I started filming. I tried a bunch of shots first to see what was possible and to test my procedures. I did the shots in the same order they are presented in the video, but because I had to aim a little differently with each (due to shaft CB deflection differences), I don't think the hits with the previous cues helped me much. I had to get dialed in with each cue/tip separately; but because I took lots of shots in a row with each and miscued often, I am confident I found the max spin possible for each.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the end, if someone likes a softer tip, the good news is that it won’t matter.

Agreed. Tip hardness choice, over a typical range of playing-cue tip hardness, doesn't make much difference, especially to a good player who can easily adjust to any cue, tip, and table conditions quickly. But I personally prefer the advantages of a hard tip.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just play with a phenolic like tip? You would never have to spend a dime on tip tools and retipping. Shaping maintenance would we be no more. I have practiced with mine before (mezz sonic tip) it's a good stroke trainer....any slop and your going to miscue...not very forgiving if your out of stroke a bit

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know why many say using soft tip is bad because you need hit faster speed. I think it is good thing. My experience it is easier to stroke balls little harder than slower. Especially under pressure.
No one comment this one but this is important imo. I have many finesse shots what i can do good succes ratio with softer tip and if I try those with harder tip I fear miscue. That fear is something that I don't want. Trusting your tip is more important than anything else. I don't also want to use my focus on chalking extra. I want to focus on task in hand.

P. S im happy also to get enough power with Elk Master.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
No one comment this one but this is important imo. I have many finesse shots what i can do good succes ratio with softer tip and if I try those with harder tip I fear miscue. That fear is something that I don't want. Trusting your tip is more important than anything else. I don't also want to use my focus on chalking extra. I want to focus on task in hand.

P. S im happy also to get enough power with Elk Master.
A perfectly acceptable reason to use a soft tip. But this wasn’t related to the soft vs har specifically as the tip hardness impact on spin . And I don’t know that anyone said that a soft tip was bad.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just play with a phenolic like tip? You would never have to spend a dime on tip tools and retipping. Shaping maintenance would we be no more. I have practiced with mine before (mezz sonic tip) it's a good stroke trainer....any slop and your going to miscue...not very forgiving if your out of stroke a bit
The point of both of his experiments wasn't to change people's mind on what tip to use. It was to make everyone understand the physics behind the performance. Feel has nothing to do with it.

When it come to feel, it's all on the user.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point of both of his experiments wasn't to change people's mind on what tip to use. It was to make everyone understand the physics behind the performance. Feel has nothing to do with it.

So what's the point of the experiment agian? Lol.

Shoot your hands up with novocain and see how good you shoot. Lol

Feel has everything to do with pool.

I understand he's proving u can get the same spin with any hardness of tip. But guess what....we aren't robots. A tip has to have some forgiveness...that's why we don't Play with phenolic tips.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I didn’t mean to ever imply that Dave is trying to change anyone’s mind on what tip to use. That has never been the point. I don’t believe anyone is trying change anyone’s preference of feel of tip.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what's the point of the experiment agian? Lol.

Shoot your hands up with novocain and see how good you shoot. Lol

Feel has everything to do with pool.

I understand he's proving u can get the same spin with any hardness of tip. But guess what....we aren't robots. A tip has to have some forgiveness...that's why we don't Play with phenolic tips.
Exactly. I can get just as much spin with a Hard Moori as you can with a soft whatever. I prefer a firmer tip. I like the sound and the feel. If you like soft tips, fine. But don't say you use a soft tip because you can get more spin with it. That was the bullsh*t he was trying to eliminate.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also the contact patch was different for each tip....(I don't know and don't really care what it means)
I just like to shoot some pool and know what I prefer

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. I can get just as much spin with a Hard Moori as you can with a soft whatever. I prefer a firmer tip. I like the sound and the feel. If you like soft tips, fine. But don't say you use a soft tip because you can get more spin with it. That was the bullsh*t he was trying to eliminate.
Apparently u didn't read where I said I prefer the hardest non lam leather tip . What anyone else prefers is their business.
("Honestly I did seem to miscue more with the phenolic tip" dr dave.) Basically he should have just said he miscues more with the phenolic How can u "Seem" to miscue? Either you do or you dont. Again I like DD's vids. Everyone can appreciate the work he puts In

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please let us know after you watch the whole thing in a sober state. And if you are really motivated, try the tests at the end of the video with any cues/tips you might have access to. It doesn't take long.

See, to me, that’s just more condensing stuff.

But, whatever.

Lou Figueroa