What types of wood are cue butts made of? How do they affect the way a cue hits?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw a cue about ten years back. Entire butt was made from one piece of ivory. On display at sbe. Maker would not disclose price
I think it had to be cored. Ivory is pretty dense -- almost twice the weight of water of the same volume. Unless the cue maker engineered some kind of reinforcing core, I don't think you would want to play with that cue. Maple and ash are about 60% of water and cocobolo is about 110% according to a table I found.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is so true is some ways and so false in other ways.

You wouldn't use a cardboard cue to break with and you wouldn't use an aluminum cue to play with. although I think they're are some variations of the latter that have been sold.

My point is the joint material might not be why you missed the ball. but it might be what you're comfortable with. and being comfortable with your equipment goes a long way.

appreciate this perspective..cheers

R2PQZ

Idk about ebony giving a stiffer hit. All things equal it might... its a much harder wood than maple... I played with and ebony jacoby with an hybrid edge shaft quite a bit and it's way More whippy than my maple schons.

I seriously doubt any human alive could distinguish the difference in butt wood without knowing there even was a difference first. if both cues were exactly the same construction..

there is no magic Wood period. But I can appreciate good craftsmanship and nice or exotic things
Every time I read similar posts I wonder if a balsa wood cue would as good as others

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tonewoods
You'd need a piezo and wifi to your earbuds to appreciate the diff and they'd specifically disallow that under unfair technology. :D I think the fancy woods are for looks and/or natural balance. They seem to flip flop on the priorities a lot.

R2PQZ

hi roger, is there a combination of tonewoods in a cue that you like? for instance maple shaft with ebony butt etc.
Macassar Ebony forearm and back with a maple grip is my favorite combination. Provides a well balanced cue with great feedback. All my shafts are selected by tone. Blanks are bounced on concrete floor. Hold loosely in the fingers while dropping end about 6 inches. A good shaft provides a high pitch. I believe high pitch shafts transfer energy the most efficiently. Low pitch shafts absorb the energy. Gabon Ebony and lots of rosewoods are great also.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Macassar Ebony forearm and back with a maple grip is my favorite combination. Provides a well balanced cue with great feedback. All my shafts are selected by tone. Blanks are bounced on concrete floor. Hold loosely in the fingers while dropping end about 6 inches. A good shaft provides a high pitch. I believe high pitch shafts transfer energy the most efficiently. Low pitch shafts absorb the energy. Gabon Ebony and lots of rosewoods are great also.

very cool and interesting..thanks for sharing!