perimeter light

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations I have the same light absolutely love it!!
e7e5c78bfd12f716de0e1d978adbb6c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Nice pool room you've got there, Sir.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched the ’Hustler’ movie again on tv. I noticed the table lighting used at ‘Ames’ was the same I grew up with (3 low-hanging shaded incandescent bulb fixtures). I accept that equipment progression is inevitable (worsted cloth, resin composite balls, etc.), though I can’t help feeling that some historical limitations are a traditional part of the game that the legendary greats had to overcome. Shooting at a pink 4 ball, on blue cloth, with a fiberglass cue is far enough removed. The bright ‘daylight‘ LED lighting system would seem much like when the rack-boy at Ames inadvertently opened the window shade. Like the overhead wire score-string, the stereotypical dark ‘poolroom’ atmosphere I loved seems headed for oblivion.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched the ’Hustler’ movie again on tv. I noticed the table lighting used at ‘Ames’ was the same I grew up with (3 low-hanging shaded incandescent bulb fixtures). I accept that equipment progression is inevitable (worsted cloth, resin composite balls, etc.), though I can’t help feeling that some historical limitations are a traditional part of the game that the legendary greats had to overcome. Shooting at a pink 4 ball, on blue cloth, with a fiberglass cue is far enough removed. The bright ‘daylight‘ LED lighting system would seem much like when the rack-boy at Ames inadvertently opened the window shade. Like the overhead wire score-string, the stereotypical dark ‘poolroom’ atmosphere I loved seems headed for oblivion.
This makes no sense. Why would you not want good lighting?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The blue in "white light" is supposedly bad for the eyes and that dingy orange incandescent look is better. Don't know if that has been addressed in pool lighting - don't much care I've always preferred white light from florescent on.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The blue in "white light" is supposedly bad for the eyes and that dingy orange incandescent look is better. Don't know if that has been addressed in pool lighting - don't much care I've always preferred white light from florescent on.
Agreeed. Too cool is a bad thing as well. 5000K is about right. I hope you are being sarcastic about the incandescent lighting.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreeed. Too cool is a bad thing as well. 5000K is about right. I hope you are being sarcastic about the incandescent lighting.
Nope. Incandescent lighting is supposedly easier on the eyes. Then again, nobody buys lighting to stare at except for computer screens. :D

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. Incandescent lighting is supposedly easier on the eyes. Then again, nobody buys lighting to stare at except for computer screens. :D
Incandescent is terrible for pool. All the colors are distorted and incandescent is traditionally dim making it hard to see the edge of the balls thus making it harder on the eyes. If it were superior, they'd be using it in pool rooms and professional events.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Incandescent is terrible for pool. All the colors are distorted and incandescent is traditionally dim making it hard to see the edge of the balls thus making it harder on the eyes. If it were superior, they'd be using it in pool rooms and professional events.
I said nothing about pool. In fact I rate Edison bulbs just above pitch blackness.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Myself personally (especially as my cataracts progress), I DO appreciate it. It’s just a nostalgia issue. Greenleaf & Mosconi seemed to manage ok somehow under traditional lighting. No matter how well I ever played under modern lights, I would always feel like I had an unfair advantage in comparison (not that I’m anxious to go back to carded cloth & mud balls though….can’t turn back the clock).

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Myself personally (especially as my cataracts progress), I DO appreciate it. It’s just a nostalgia issue. Greenleaf & Mosconi seemed to manage ok somehow under traditional lighting. No matter how well I ever played under modern lights, I would always feel like I had an unfair advantage in comparison (not that I’m anxious to go back to carded cloth & mud balls though….can’t turn back the clock).
If given the choice, I can say with a fair amount of confidence Greenleaf and Mosconi would have preferred modern lighting.

dfaulkner

Just wanted to post an update. I checked with the company and they said while the light would work with a dimmer they do not recommend it as it would shorten the lifespan of the LED's. The good news is after a few days playing with the change I have gotten used to them and don't even think about them when I'm playing. Still love the new light!

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Thanks! There is not a switch on the light to dim it but I asked an electrician and he said any newer LED light should work on a dimmer switch. I am going to replace the light switch it's on now with a switch with a dimmer. I'll let you know if it works or not.
Have you installed a dimmer yet?
I'm looking for someone who has found a switch suitable for these lights that does not burn them out.

dfaulkner

No - decided to follow the advice of the company and not use one. I have been playing with them for a while now and have gotten used to them so don't think I'll bother now. Amazing difference when playing.

Benelli

So I was at this dude's house and he had perimeter-style LED's lights and the balls threw square shadows. Now I understand why they do that but there was something distracting about round balls that had square shadows.

The ironic thing is I was there to buy his 2yr old 9FT Diamond light he replaced with the perimeters.

With that Diamond, the balls have small round shadows pooled underneath them and I now have the sneaky sensation that I got the better deal...

Last edited:

darmoose

Shutin@urhole is OVERATED
Silver Member
I have played on a GC 5 that had a perimeter light above it...the rectangle reflections that presented on the balls I found very distracting, Below is a pic of my GC1 that has a solid 8' by 2' led (5000k) over it. A solid led like mine presents less distracting reflections on the balls and has NO shadows reflected onto the table other than a small one beneath the ball.. I just don't understand logically speaking how you could improve on that. BTW, my lite I purchased and constructed for less than...... $ 125....

Prior to led lights, the incandescents and floresents all presented reflections on the balls and shadows on the table....I fear we might be regressing with this perimeter light fad...and an expensive fad it is, indeed....JMHO

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_075945.jpg
    IMG_20230408_075945.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20230405_113039.jpg
    IMG_20230405_113039.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20230415_180912.jpg
    IMG_20230415_180912.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played on a GC 5 that had a perimeter light above it...the rectangle reflections that presented on the balls I found very distracting, Below is a pic of my GC1 that has a solid 8' by 2' led (5000k) over it. A solid led like mine presents less distracting reflections on the balls and has NO shadows reflected onto the table other than a small one beneath the ball.. I just don't understand logically speaking how you could improve on that. BTW, my lite I purchased and constructed for less than...... $ 125....

Prior to led lights, the incandescents and floresents all presented reflections on the balls and shadows on the table....I fear we might be regressing with this perimeter light fad...and an expensive fad it is, indeed....JMHO
Looks good! How many Lumens? Do you know the CRI?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fully understand where you come from. I have an old school 4 light fixture that kinda matches the table time period, and I like it that way. It works fine, shots missed are my own fault, not lighting. Nothing against those in pursuit of perfection and I’m somewhat interested in this perimeter light upgrade as well. Although I think I’ll hold off until you guys have worked out all the bugs. Needs a diffuser in my opinion, or at least a better one. With the 4 light old school you can install low enough that sitting in a stool and watching my opponent take my lunch money is not uncomfortably bright to me.