First Joss cue impressions

Nyquil

Been on a quest for the goldy lox cue. Went thru several production brands. I'll own another custom some day. Joss was off my radar but after re-watching color of money I decided to send it on a limited N7.

Its the best cue I have shot with period. The control is amazing, plenty of power, the 30 inch HP maple shaft feels close to solid maple with still being L/D.

When I swing this thing it make contact with the cue ball it feels like a sewing machine it's the only way I can describe it. The HP shaft comes with tips handmade by joss and I am glad I didn't swap it. Holds chalk great plays exactly like a medium should.

Its all preference and just my opinion of course but try one if you can. I have found my main player after churning thru quite a few cues. My wallet can take a break, lol.

Attachments

• 20230318_174042-min.jpg
    20230318_174042-min.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 299

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
It's what I shoot with, after shooting Schons for years. Dollar for dollar you can't go wrong with a Joss.
That hit you are feeling is the result of two things: forward balance and stiffer cue. Love it!
(I wish they'd sponsor me:cool:)
Schons are great too btw, but they are getting way too pricey imo.

Last edited:

Nyquil

It's what I shoot with, after shooting Schons for years. Dollar for dollar you can't go wrong with a Joss.
That hit you are feeling is the result of two things: forward balance and stiffer cue. Love it!
Yup solid hit for sure. The control is something else. Within an hour I was putting the cue ball where I wanted it. I struggle with that with every other cue I own. Takes little effort and every hit just feels great. Won't be my last one that's for sure. Its a lot of cue for the $$$.

FunChamp

Imo Joss makes the best cue out there. I've owned 3. My current Joss plays better than the more expensive one I had. The Joss brand single layer tips are great. Hold chalk and shape really well.

FunChamp

Guess I shouldn't say plays better. It feels better. I think all the ebony in the other one made it feel a bit more sluggish? It played great, just felt different

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Schons are great too btw, but they are getting way too pricey imo.
I agree, if you buy a joss you will always get a great consistent cue.
Also they are really nice people to work with.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great cue. Do you really they make those tips tho? Kinda doubt it. They buy them from one of the better makers i'm sure but they don't make layered tips themselves.

FunChamp

Joss a good cues. Good value, IMO.

Tips, doesn't Joss use Le Pro as standard?
Depends on where you buy it. They can come with a Le Pro, Triangle or either a Joss single layer or Joss layered. Mine came with a 12 mm shaft with a Triangle on it. I bought a second Joss standard shaft in 12.75 mm and it came with a Joss single layer. I actually like that tip better than the triangle. But they're about the same.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup solid hit for sure. The control is something else. Within an hour I was putting the cue ball where I wanted it. I struggle with that with every other cue I own. Takes little effort and every hit just feels great. Won't be my last one that's for sure. Its a lot of cue for the $$$.
Sounds like your on to a winner, with that one. I only ever played with joss shaft. Very good playing shaft.In a few months. You will be even better, with that one, and then, you will know, you got something really good.

Last edited:
My mentor who played for about 70 years shot with a Joss with about an 11 mm shaft. He was a buddy of Jimmy Moore and played all the guys who came thru ALB over the years.

Nyquil

My mentor who played for about 70 years shot with a Joss with about an 11 mm shaft. He was a buddy of Jimmy Moore and played all the guys who came thru ALB over the years.
You get a lot of cue for the money. I think this as close you can get production wise to hit of the older cues from decades ago. I'll definitely never sell it. The only thing I wish Joss would do differently is have broader vaneers and make a dang quick release extension.

Das Cue-Boot

You get a lot of cue for the money. I think this as close you can get production wise to hit of the older cues from decades ago. I'll definitely never sell it. The only thing I wish Joss would do differently is have broader vaneers and make a dang quick release extension.
Like everything you say until you start talking quick release. I figure a quick release will save me a couple seconds a few times per month. In return I get to have yet another incompatible format, more confusion with joint protectors and probably higher costs. Not worth it to me. If anything, the industry could start agreeing on some standards to cut down on the proprietary nonsense that is out there now.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like everything you say until you start talking quick release. I figure a quick release will save me a couple seconds a few times per month. In return I get to have yet another incompatible format, more confusion with joint protectors and probably higher costs. Not worth it to me. If anything, the industry could start agreeing on some standards to cut down on the proprietary nonsense that is out there now.
I think the quick release refers to an extention that attaches to the butt.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the quick release refers to an extention that attaches to the butt.
Yep, he wasn't referring to the joint. Joss butt ext's are thread in. A lot are and its not big deal if you leave it in but can be a minor pita if you don't.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been on a quest for the goldy lox cue. Went thru several production brands. I'll own another custom some day. Joss was off my radar but after re-watching color of money I decided to send it on a limited N7.

Its the best cue I have shot with period. The control is amazing, plenty of power, the 30 inch HP maple shaft feels close to solid maple with still being L/D.

When I swing this thing it make contact with the cue ball it feels like a sewing machine it's the only way I can describe it. The HP shaft comes with tips handmade by joss and I am glad I didn't swap it. Holds chalk great plays exactly like a medium should.

Its all preference and just my opinion of course but try one if you can. I have found my main player after churning thru quite a few cues. My wallet can take a break, lol.
What's the diameter of the butt at the end of the butt?