Cues that play similar to Southwest Cues

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
This thread is ruining the mystique and allure of 15-year waiting periods and impregnated Narnian magic dust.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
This is the second time recently, that I’ve seen “a-joint” referenced. What part of the joint is the a-joint?
Where the handle screws into the forearm. Southwest builds them in a way that they warp at that point

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve heard Omen cues play similar to Southwests, also I think Cokers and Howard’s. I’ve never seen a Southwest in person And have not tried any of the builders I’ve heard compared. Curious if any Southwest owners feel another cue they have tried is similar. Obviously DPK cues don’t need to be mentioned In comparison.

I've hit with only a couple of Kersenbrock cues. They felt nothing like my South West.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Status symbol,like a Rolex watch,look at me.

i think so yea. but the ko brothers, wang can, kevin cheng all used to play pretty sporty with SWs too. i'm sure they influenced others. not a wise cue choice in terms of sponsorship but it does seem to be a thing there.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they have a cult following just like Rolex kool-aid swillers. there's at least ten watches i'd buy before a rolex.
1679501683495.png

$50 and it keeps time and you probably wont get mugged for it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think so yea. but the ko brothers, wang can, kevin cheng all used to play pretty sporty with SWs too. i'm sure they influenced others. not a wise cue choice in terms of sponsorship but it does seem to be a thing there.
A lot of US-made stuff has cult status in Asia. Old tube stereo amps, big Altec horn speakers, various cue brands, vintage blade-style irons, bourbons, etc. The Ko's now use a cue made for them by a top Taiwanese builder.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a Southwest cue and played a friend's Southwest, still don't know what the big deal is about them.
Maybe I'm just lacking in sensitivity.
Maybe those two were not that good on Southwest scale of things but I'm of the opinion they are way over rated.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure, but I believe that you've spent more time bragging about your fcking Lucasi on here than any 10 South West owners.
And your Timex! Spend the money, buy the water.
LOL,my fcking Lucasi is a hell of a cue for the $250 I spent on it with no wait.
And I don't have a Timex watch.
Did I hit a nerve with you,oh no you must have a Rolex or a Southwest cue.

Wally83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea. But this guy seems to know something about them:

From what I have been told, the "A" joint would be the connecting joint between the top of the wrap section and the bottom of the forearm. If they are a not a fullsplice cue there is always a wood to wood joint with a connecting pin or dowel at this section.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can consider Richard Harris - Bluegrass cue.
If im not wrong, Richard uses the parabolic taper that is similar to Southwest cue.
Both hits quite similar imo
Except I personally prefer the hit of a bluegrass over a southwest, as its not overly too stiff and has great feedback that i feel is similar to the Franklin-era southwests
But good luck getting on the list, you r probably better off finding one on the secondary market n prob at half the price of a southwest.
Just my 2 cents

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 693374
$50 and it keeps time and you probably wont get mugged for it.
Timex is a good watch. So are a lot of others. I'm a watch nerd. Have 17 at last count. My watches are the only accessory I wear. Not crazy about rings, ear rings, or necklaces. Which one I wear depends on my mood, where I'm going, and who I am going with or meeting. I still wear my 1975 Seiko on occasion. I wouldn't buy a Rolex but I have one that I love, a gift. I did reward myself with an Omega and a couple of Tags over the years and some other nice timepieces.
That being said, very few people ever notice what's on someone's wrist. Other watch nerds excepted.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
LOL,my fcking Lucasi is a hell of a cue for the $250 I spent on it with no wait.
And I don't have a Timex watch.
Did I hit a nerve with you,oh no you must have a Rolex or a Southwest cue.
I guess you’re confirmed my point, you're bragging about your Lucasi again.

No nerve, no Rolex, but I do have a South West satin! I also have Lucasi that used to belong to a friend, when he passed his wife gave it to me. Shoots fine as do most cues.

Last edited:

MachineGunKelly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny. For years people claimed that the rolling wobble was due to their 'parabolic' taper. I argued that it was because they are mass produced junk.

Never hit with a SW that impressed me at all.
Congratulations. You win the dumbest comment on the internet today!

DeeDeeCues

Congratulations. You win the dumbest comment on the internet today!

How so?

Every Sw I've seen wobbles. Not true for any other brand. Hell, the fifth cue I ever made doesn't wobble even after 27 years.

They are mass produced. They may not make a ton of them, but they are built on an assembly line.

'junk' is, admittedly, an opinion.