When Using the Term ‘Cheap Sets’ - How much $/Set Does That Mean?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve heard the term ‘cheap sets’ on here often between two prospective players who have never matched up and have no idea how the other plays. Just curious what most of you guys on here think that means as far as how much $ per set.

I assume it’s a relative term, meaning that for gamblers that are used to playing big $ sets, cheap sets could be considered $500 sets. For most posting on here, I assume it might mean $50 sets, $100 max. In our rural poolroom, when someone in here says cheap sets, it most likely means $10-$20 sets, maybe $50 sets with better players, unless it’s a road player, in which case you have no idea what they mean. Just curious if I’m correct in my assumptions?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
That's definitely relative. When I was coming up (and often near broke), it was $5-$10 race to 5.
Today I'd say $20-50 are cheap sets.
Most sets around here are between $100-500.
Fuel, table time, and drinks cost quite a bit more these days plus I'm not broke anymore lol.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on the game and who's playing.

A $20 game of 6 ball, some might think is cheap but??
The game lasts about 3 minutes.

$20 game of 1pocket is a different story. If you're talking time v money.

Of course there's the factor of who has money and who doesn't.
But don't forget there's the case where the guy with no money is the better player.

Then we just have 2 guys that don't care and just want to throw money on a game.
I think that's what we're talking about. 2 players that simply want to add a wager. FOR FUN

Then there's the case .........

Friendly game??
Whats a cheap priced cue?
Are there cheap priced worth owning and playing with?
I think so.

My fishing partner and I have a standing $1 bet on who catches the biggest fish.
We've been trading that exact same dollar bill for around 20 years.
That My Friend is a Cheap Bet!! And believe me... We cherish the trophy stashed in our wallet, and look forward to the next match.

Last edited:

tomatoshooter

I'm not a big gambler but $20 sets sounds about right for me. If I get into the $50-100 range, that's going to be a match, a longer set and just one.

mrshifty

Registered
It depends on the game and who's playing.

A $20 game of 6 ball, some might think is cheap but??
The game lasts about 3 minutes.

$20 game of 1pocket is a different story. If you're talking time v money.

Of course there's the factor of who has money and who doesn't.
But don't forget there's the case where the guy with no money is the better player.

Then we just have 2 guys that don't care and just want to throw money on a game.
I think that's what we're talking about. 2 players that simply want to add a wager. FOR FUN

Then there's the case .........

Friendly game??
Whats a cheap priced cue?
Are there cheap priced worth owning and playing with?
I think so.

My fishing partner and I have a standing $1 bet on who catches the biggest fish.
We've been trading that exact same dollar bill for around 20 years.
That My Friend is a Cheap Bet!! And believe me... We cherish the trophy stashed in our wallet, and look forward to the next match.
That dollar means more than $100 from a cheap set with a stranger! Lol

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I've played a ton of $5 sets over the years. Mostly with good friends who just want to put a little more pressure on themselves.
$10 or $20 is becoming more common though.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
In that case, the cost of beer is part of the game. But where are there 50-cent tables?
We had 25-cent tables as recently as 4 or 5 years ago. Most are 50 cents now (and have been for decades), with a few places at 75. A lot of the bars will open the tables up (free play) for regulars. They're generally crappy old Valley tables though. People here are pretty spoiled with free or cheap pool, I think it's part of the reason we haven't had a pool hall for decades. We do have 2 very nice private rooms with 4 tables each though.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve heard the term ‘cheap sets’ on here often between two prospective players who have never matched up and have no idea how the other plays. Just curious what most of you guys on here think that means as far as how much $ per set.

I assume it’s a relative term, meaning that for gamblers that are used to playing big $ sets, cheap sets could be considered $500 sets. For most posting on here, I assume it might mean $50 sets, $100 max. In our rural poolroom, when someone in here says cheap sets, it most likely means $10-$20 sets, maybe $50 sets with better players, unless it’s a road player, in which case you have no idea what they mean. Just curious if I’m correct in my assumptions?

I've had a lot of people say "cheap sets" as in $50, other think it's $5. I think depends on who is talking. I would say $20/30 is what a "cheap set" is to normal non-gambling all the time players. I don't think I have ever played for even $100 of my own money in a match that I can ever remember, tournament payout difference, yea, but not in a set vs another player.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To me “cheap sets” means 100-200 race to 5-7. Sometimes $50 race to 2-3. But there’s always that one ahole who says cheap sets and turns out he means 4K in the middle.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around here that is 20 race to 5 or to 7, maybe 50 for a race to 9 or 11. Most people have annual memberships so we don't pay extra for table time.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 80s, Efren got in a ring game, race to 10 in our poolroom. He beat the locals quite handily, displaying the master's cue skills every rack. He quit after one set when he found out the bet was $5 per man. True story...Pocket Billiard Lounge, Binghamton, NY, want to say 1985.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
In the 80s, Efren got in a ring game, race to 10 in our poolroom. He beat the locals quite handily, displaying the master's cue skills every rack. He quit after one set when he found out the bet was $5 per man. True story...Pocket Billiard Lounge, Binghamton, NY, want to say 1985.
Ya but I love lamp...

To the OP:
Cheap is a relative term. Much like an assessment of a cue "hitting a ton". What's cheap isn't a variant within an area or even a single room. Fully dependent on the person(s) involved and how much they're willing to lose. Nothing more, possibly less.

Speaking only for myself. "Cheap sets" are anything under 50. Beyond that number, I feel I owe it to my kids to avoid losing the bet.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Anything under 100 is cheap.

Betting something is better than nothing.

I'll bet whatever, but I don't bet against air or ious. Had guys paint my house, take me shopping with their credit cards, trade knives/guns and lose cues.

Playing guys with nothing...all the pressure is on them. You need 3 things to make it gambling:
Heart
Game
Bankroll

Last edited: