What does pumping the cue over and over up in the air before their shot do for the pros?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Pre-shot routine is something that really helped me transition from snooker to playing on smaller tables with different angles. Visualising line of travel while simulating the potential speed of the cue action. It also tells me to turn my brain off and make the shot. I have never made this motion when playing snooker, but the pre-shot routine is different and more about alignment of all the parallel and perpendicular pieces of the technique required for that format. Shot choice, angles and well... everything is different.

When I first started playing 8/9/10 ball a few months ago, I would constantly be over thinking my shot choice, and then playing balls with other options still in my head. So, really focussing on the routine, knowing that difference between thinking time and 'go time' helped me cut a lot of trash out of my game. As I mentioned, running the cue over my bridge hand helps me to gauge speed and visualise the shot. It draws the line between thinking time and 'go time!' - it prevents your mind from wandering to the other options available (which as someone new to these disciplines is very easily done. Forever doubting the patterns I can pick out, or if it's actually a 'safe' shot)

It's also part of calming yourself. I was talking to Dennis Orcollo recently and he was talking to me about having a good 'pulse'. It's like a sniper lining things up and taking a few breaths to steady themself.

It's basically the same as the old saying 'Make your bed and then lay in it' ... Otherwise you're gonna make a miss that'll keep you awake for days...
why then dont snooker players have the pre shot ritual?
same for carom, only pool players think they need to make a ritual of each shot

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Some things I have done/others do when air stroking:

1) Get the feel of the stroke hand grip before changing the cue's angle (in the full stance)

2) Rehearse the approximate speed and follow through of the upcoming stroke (plus you are rehearsing the shot mentally without the tightness/necessary compactness of the cue in the practice stroke, the CB impeding the practice follow through)

3) Set the bridge length with the bridge hand near or exactly where it will clasp the cue stick in the full stance

4) See if there is a sticky or slick spot on the cue stick to be wiped down before the shot

5) Use the cue to ensure the body is facing perpendicular to the aim line / shot line before bending to the final stance

6) It looks cool to air stroke, dudes! It's the equivalent of Air Guitar/Rock Band for pool!

Disclaimer: PJ, FC and/or Sparkle will try to disagree with at least 8 of my 6 points--they are completely wrong, and if I give further explanation to help their feeble imagination, they will say I'm "being evasive" or "back pedaling" since they love arguing, but equally hate losing arguments with me, as they do constantly.

Cheers!

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost every pro I've watched on TV has done this. SVB does it every time. I'm glad no one I play has this habit.
it's a technique that helps quiet the mind. Visualize and feel the shot before actually getting down. Some say this can reduce the amount you have to think about when you actually get down to simply object ball contact point and execution. I've noticed that when I'm playing well I tend to do it as well sort of unconsciously... 🤷‍♂️ it's all got, hope it helps.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Some things I have done/others do when air stroking:

1) Get the feel of the stroke hand grip before changing the cue's angle (in the full stance)

2) Rehearse the approximate speed and follow through of the upcoming stroke (plus you are rehearsing the shot mentally without the tightness/necessary compactness of the cue in the practice stroke, the CB impeding the practice follow through)

3) Set the bridge length with the bridge hand near or exactly where it will clasp the cue stick in the full stance

4) See if there is a sticky or slick spot on the cue stick to be wiped down before the shot

5) Use the cue to ensure the body is facing perpendicular to the aim line / shot line before bending to the final stance

6) It looks cool to air stroke, dudes! It's the equivalent of Air Guitar/Rock Band for pool!

Disclaimer: PJ, FC and/or Sparkle will try to disagree with at least 8 of my 6 points--they are completely wrong, and if I give further explanation to help their feeble imagination, they will say I'm "being evasive" or "back pedaling" since they love arguing, but equally hate losing arguments with me, as they do constantly.

Cheers!
so why dont snooker players do it

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
so why dont snooker players do it
I gave five reasons why pool players do it but snooker pros are like other pros in other sports, they do (or don't do) as many things from tradition or orthodoxy as they do for good reasons.

I get flamed on AZ mostly by people who can't stand when I teach non-traditional methods that work. I've taught some students to rehearse their bridge length and stroke in the air, to help them measure their body to the table in the full stance. I think it could help snooker players, too, but I feel like I've seen some snooker players air stroke/feel the cue's length--haven't you?

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I gave five reasons why pool players do it but snooker pros are like other pros in other sports, they do (or don't do) as many things from tradition or orthodoxy as they do for good reasons.

I get flamed on AZ mostly by people who can't stand when I teach non-traditional methods that work. I've taught some students to rehearse their bridge length and stroke in the air, to help them measure their body to the table in the full stance. I think it could help snooker players, too, but I feel like I've seen some snooker players air stroke/feel the cue's length--haven't you?
im sure SOME have here and there but on large scale compared to pool players not even close

George the Greek

I used to look at the table very quickly ( playing snooker) and didn't take long figuring out which way I wanted to play a shot. My routine was put the cue tip near the cueball and get into my stance all in a singular motion which gave me the distance for my bridge hand and accuracy knowing I was aligned properly for the most part.

WobblyStroke

Air strokes are a very useful component of PSR's and have several advantages imo.
Some good reasons have been mentioned above regarding presetting bridge/stroke length and feeling the force of the shot. Also mentioned was how it can help guys get aligned and feel locked into a position. All great points. I will add that it also makes the grip automatic. By performing a full stroke (whether in the air or on the table like Earl sometimes does), the full motion acts as both a rehearsal for cue delivery as well as a way to set the grip. Since you finish a stroke, your hand ends up where it wants to end up. By holding on to the cue the same way, you take out any movement during the stroke. It takes a second and leaves you with nothing to think about. Just a feel to repeat when down. I use this move before any big stroke shots, and for me it is mostly a grip and muscle readiness/rehearsal thing.

snookered_again

sometimes people swing their hips or play air guitar and I see no real reason for it other than it makes them happy, maybe loosens them up. I think its only an issue if it's distracting , like in the line of sight of a player. I try to tune it out for the most part, and look upon it as practice at not becoming distracted. lots of players have weird little actions that seem unusual to others.
When it's intentional distraction, it becomes insulting to others and "in poor form" in my opinion. what I try to think to myself is "They don't pay me enough to police the world." I personally find that realization that helps with road rage too.

If someone is waving both arms in from of your shot its time to have a discussion or just leave the room.. If he wants to do a handstand or a bit of grandstanding, before his shot and he's at the table and he can do it quickly so others aren't waiting overly long, I think, let him. ( or her)

I do look at it as fun though, and not a profession.

I feel that snooker has some of the politeness that is resonant of British etiquette, but such behavior may be a bit different depending where you are because a lot of that is habitual.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Pre-shot routine is something that really helped me transition from snooker to playing on smaller tables with different angles. Visualising line of travel while simulating the potential speed of the cue action. It also tells me to turn my brain off and make the shot. I have never made this motion when playing snooker, but the pre-shot routine is different and more about alignment of all the parallel and perpendicular pieces of the technique required for that format. Shot choice, angles and well... everything is different.

When I first started playing 8/9/10 ball a few months ago, I would constantly be over thinking my shot choice, and then playing balls with other options still in my head. So, really focussing on the routine, knowing that difference between thinking time and 'go time' helped me cut a lot of trash out of my game. As I mentioned, running the cue over my bridge hand helps me to gauge speed and visualise the shot. It draws the line between thinking time and 'go time!' - it prevents your mind from wandering to the other options available (which as someone new to these disciplines is very easily done. Forever doubting the patterns I can pick out, or if it's actually a 'safe' shot)

It's also part of calming yourself. I was talking to Dennis Orcollo recently and he was talking to me about having a good 'pulse'. It's like a sniper lining things up and taking a few breaths to steady themself.

It's basically the same as the old saying 'Make your bed and then lay in it' ... Otherwise you're gonna make a miss that'll keep you awake for days...
Which angles differ between pool and snooker?