What does pumping the cue over and over up in the air before their shot do for the pros?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Almost every pro I've watched on TV has done this. SVB does it every time. I'm glad no one I play has this habit.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
He might be finding the correct balance point for the shot at hand. I don't do it to the level as the pros but if I am it's one of two things:

1: working out a hitch in my stroke/body pain to the point I can trust my stroke. Gotta get limbered up.
2: setting the balance point and where the cue rests in my shooting hand. It is only right in one spot for every shot. I want my stroke to feel exactly the same on all shots (or as close as it can be) and modifying where you're gripping is how you do it. Cue balance must feel right for a particular shot/distance from cb to rail etc.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost every pro I've watched on TV has done this. SVB does it every time. I'm glad no one I play has this habit.

No idea but I do it quite a bit also. Must be as good as Shane then, whoot! Scratching the head while thinking is also a thing. I also flip my tennis racquet around in my hand when playing that, does not really serve any purpose, just a thing, resets the focus a bit like why people chew gum. Your brain focuses a bit on the other activity so you get into a zone better.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He might be finding the correct balance point for the shot at hand. I don't do it to the level as the pros but if I am it's one of two things:

1: working out a hitch in my stroke/body pain to the point I can trust my stroke. Gotta get limbered up.
2: setting the balance point and where the cue rests in my shooting hand. It is only right in one spot for every shot. I want my stroke to feel exactly the same on all shots (or as close as it can be) and modifying where you're gripping is how you do it. Cue balance must feel right for a particular shot/distance from cb to rail etc.
That's way too much thinking.
I just get down aim and fire.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are hitting new lows…..again
You know Eric it's such a simple game that everything has been talked about on this forum for years.
When I play at the room the first thing I do is wipe down the rails with a paper towel,amazing how blue it gets.
Should I start a thread on the method I use?
Ok here goes I start at the head of the table and wipe clockwise with my right hand I use a brown paper towel from the mens room dry,what's your method?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know Eric it's such a simple game that everything has been talked about on this forum for years.
When I play at the room the first thing I do is wipe down the rails with a paper towel,amazing how blue it gets.
Ok here goes I start at the head of the table and wipe clockwise with my right hand I use a brown paper towel from the mens room dry,what's your method?
I like Brawny paper towels the best, they don’t leave that white fuzz on the rails.

I always start on the foot rail in the center and go counter clockwise. Sometimes I wipe the ball tray as well. Just depends on my mood.

The other thing is make sure the pepper towel isn’t too wet as the excess water can leave little spots. You want the towels just damp enough to pick up the chalk and powder with out making the rails wet.

Then I get out my J&J powder and blue Pre-Flag Master chalk and shit up the table in the next 15 minutes. But it’s my own shit-so it’s ok.

Hope that helps,

Best,
Fatboy<———full of advice and bullshit😂😂

J/K MM your all good with me💪👍 when I’m in Denver you got action. I ain’t hit a ball in years but I’ll give it a go. I’m in the mood to play.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I like Brawny paper towels the best, they don’t leave that white fuzz on the rails.

I always start on the foot rail in the center and go counter clockwise. Sometimes I wipe the ball tray as well. Just depends on my mood.

The other thing is make sure the pepper towel isn’t too wet as the excess water can leave little spots. You want the towels just damp enough to pick up the chalk and powder with out making the rails wet.

Then I get out my J&J powder and blue Pre-Flag Master chalk and shit up the table in the next 15 minutes. But it’s my own shit-so it’s ok.

Hope that helps,

Best,
Fatboy<———full of advice and bullshit😂😂

J/K MM your all good with me💪👍 when I’m in Denver you got action. I ain’t hit a ball in years but I’ll give it a go. I’m in the mood to play.
Autozone and Walmart sells microfiber towels for detailing cars. They are about the size of a washcloth. They work great and are reusable. They will also lift fingerprints and make the rails about as clean as you can get them without liquid. $8 for 6 towels. Also great at cleaning around the house, and cleaning cell phone screens or glass. You can wash them in your clothes machine.

In all seriousness, I keep one in my case in the case of something sticky getting on my shaft. Works great.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

The formr manager of my local VFW thinks way to much of his abilities (he IS the greatest ya know), and
has picked up the habit of the 'air stroke. Reckon it's to make others think of him at a more elevated level.
But when he's in the process thereof, he's doin' it so quickly I think I actually smelled smoke on a few occasions,
like he was generating enough friction his cue might catch fire. Oh well, each to their own, eh.

hank

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave has a thread on air stroking.

I questioned a well known instructor about Earl setting up and stroking beside the ball.
Instructor said who knows it's Earl. I figured out what he was doing is placing his bridge hand correctly for a complete follow thru.
That stuff is by way of aiming the shot itself. Air stroking 45 degrees into space is a little obtuse. Maybe it's CTE.