what's your 9 ball B@R % on your practice table?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to play where still play a safety where I would in an actual game. I then shoot for ghost to see if it was a good safety. If ghost contacts object ball I lose. This gets me actual practice how I play.
That kind of defeats the purpose of playing the ghost which is to work on running out. I see what you're doing but to me playing the ghost is a full-on offense practice deal, miss and you lose.

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
That kind of defeats the purpose of playing the ghost which is to work on running out. I see what you're doing but to me playing the ghost is a full-on offense practice deal, miss and you lose.
I agree with you. I play Fargo (the game lol) when I want to work on strictly offense. It gives me a constant measure of improvement for that part of the game.

soyale

how do you practice safeties? I dont think there is any reason that the ghosts “purpose” has to be strictly running out.

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
how do you practice safeties? I dont think there is any reason that the ghosts “purpose” has to be strictly running out.
I kind of agree with the point though. Everyone uses the ghost to judge against others. The traditional rules ensure that everyone plays the same. I personally can't jump in this thread and say I'm at 10% because I don't play by the rules. Not saying your way or mine is wrong for the purpose we use it for though

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing is written in stone but 'playing the ghost' has always been a run-out/lose proposition. We always played standard version(BIH after bk) but in the last few yrs. better players have started 'pro ghost' where you play from where cb ends up. Much tougher. Both are geared towards making your rack running better. One could easily add kicking scenarios to it if you wanted.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Ghost is great practice.
1. You need to learn to run out better.
2. After you play enough Ghost you will know what are your chances to run out from particular layout. If you don´t like your chances you should think when and how to play safe(in game situtation).
3. You get a lot of break shots. It is also break practice.
.. and many other benefits.

soyale

Nothing is written in stone but 'playing the ghost' has always been a run-out/lose proposition. We always played standard version(BIH after bk) but in the last few yrs. better players have started 'pro ghost' where you play from where cb ends up. Much tougher. Both are geared towards making your rack running better. One could easily add kicking scenarios to it if you wanted.
for sure. I am aware of the classic ghost. if a guy is posting for bragging rights and says he played the ghost and won 10-0, we all know what that means.

Still, there’s no reason not to modify the rules to suit what you need to practice on. again i ask how do you practice safeties?

We dont have to call it the ghost with caveats, we can call it the spooky safety ghoul or whatever.☺️

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
0%

no practice table at home, my regular club that i used to practice at closed

rarely ever break and run in any scenario

I have no Fargo, am a low average APA5

my game sucks

;)

Justaneng

Registered
My home practice table is an 8’ Olhausen death rattle special, whereas most of my competitive (league) games are on 7’ Diamond barboxes.

I’ve only broke and run the Olhausen twice in 4 years of owning it and can no longer count the number of runouts on the 7’ barboxes (primarily during practice racks or friendly play).

On quite a few racks on the Olhausen the cycle of doom kicks in where I know I have to stroke it to get the cue ball where I want it to go, but it’s just going to be a miss, but I have to try it anyway because it probably works on the Diamonds I play on competitively - and yup, it’s a rattle.

SO: I’m guessing 0.1% on my practice table and 1% on a bar box?

tomatoshooter

My home practice table is an 8’ Olhausen death rattle special, whereas most of my competitive (league) games are on 7’ Diamond barboxes.

I’ve only broke and run the Olhausen twice in 4 years of owning it and can no longer count the number of runouts on the 7’ barboxes (primarily during practice racks or friendly play).

On quite a few racks on the Olhausen the cycle of doom kicks in where I know I have to stroke it to get the cue ball where I want it to go, but it’s just going to be a miss, but I have to try it anyway because it probably works on the Diamonds I play on competitively - and yup, it’s a rattle.

SO: I’m guessing 0.1% on my practice table and 1% on a bar box?
That's what my home table is, too. The worn felt on the facings makes those corner pockets super snooty. I can't count how many runouts ended because I had to stun or draw a ball near the rail.

tomatoshooter

I think Ghost is great practice.
1. You need to learn to run out better.
2. After you play enough Ghost you will know what are your chances to run out from particular layout. If you don´t like your chances you should think when and how to play safe(in game situtation).
3. You get a lot of break shots. It is also break practice.
.. and many other benefits.
I think the ball in hand makes it more consistent, if I play 10 racks, one day I might might not get a look at the lowest ball on 7 of them, the next day I might have a good shot on 7 of them. By taking ball in hand, I am only measuring ball running capability. I personally just shoot like a regular game because at my stage I feel I need to learn to get out of bad situations more than pure ball running.

stewie

There was a variant in one of Ralph Eckert's earlier books. He called the game x-ball:

You play 5 ball ghost and keep score.for.you only. Run out, you get +1, of not -1. If you get to +5 twice, you add a ball. You get to -5 twice, you remove a ball.

You can play that for hours and long term have a good tracking of where you are and see improvement.

After break is always ball in hand, all balls stay down. Early 9 doesn't win, I think.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the ball in hand makes it more consistent, if I play 10 racks, one day I might might not get a look at the lowest ball on 7 of them, the next day I might have a good shot on 7 of them. By taking ball in hand, I am only measuring ball running capability. I personally just shoot like a regular game because at my stage I feel I need to learn to get out of bad situations more than pure ball running.
I agree. I still play most of time without ball in hand nowadays.
That because i want improve my break and most of time when i break good I get a shot.
It is cruel way to try play.. but it is really good way to drive yourself to excellence on breakshot.
Sometimes lady luck says F**k off and you get crushed but that how it is.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hit balls for about an hour on Friday to get ready for the local chip tournament. Bar table 9-ball, wood rack, no pattern racking. I broke and ran about 15-20% (1 out of every 5-6 games). I felt like I was hitting them pretty good too! It's tough to get position every time with a wood rack. :(