Sharking Moves

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s the best sharking moves you’ve seen? I’m trying to learn some new tricks (joking).

But, I’ve played pool for a while and I’ve seen my fair share of things weather it be out of ignorance or intentional to get a mental edge. What’s some things people do or say that bother you? I know it’s best to try to not let it bother you, but it does nonetheless.

Mine are:
- When your opponent is always right in front of your sight line on the shot.
-When there’s a lot of balls on the table and your opponent misses and says “there ya go.” As though it’s a privilege that you get an opportunity to shoot or that it’s easy. Always makes me want to say “thank you” and start racking.
-When instead of saying good game after a close race they just say “thanks” as though you were the easiest win of their life.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
When your opponent is always right in front of your sight line on the shot.
If you let that shit fly more than once, you deserve to get sharked.

The other two shouldn’t bother anyone, and the last one can’t be sharking since it’s after the match.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
well if you are playing and realize the guy is out of money or last barrel you should make him show more.
or say you have to leave and you can play one short set for whatever he wants.

and always say both parties can quit whenever they want for any reason winner or loser.

and in that case above the kid should have told the old man that he can see he is out of money except for the last game and he doesnt want to break him and wont do that. thats a good way to get out winners.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
I’m with deadstroke. That normally doesn’t bother me when they do it over and over, it’s when they do it intentionally on only a key shot. Just tell them to move or pull the no look shot if they are really pissing you off. I’ve only done the no look once when the guy was up in my face but am 1-0 on the no look. And it made the guy shut up quick. It wasn’t straight in it was a rail cut.😏😏
The second one I’d try my best to run it then say thanks! Take that more as them down on themselves rather than on you. A good move there if it pisses you off or even if it doesn’t is to play safe on your first shot or next two cause it might slow them down for a bit. Evaluate the situation and decide from there.

Third one. Who cares you already lost so if they want to rub it in that’s your fault for losing especially if you are getting a spot. That should tell you right off the bat they think they are going to win. Get over it. And Make sure to win next time.

Biggest shark for me isnt my opponent. It’s when I’m not focused yet playing a bit cold and random people are talking. Happened the other day. Was playing without any warmup and was down on my first or 2nd 8 and overheard two people talking. They weren’t doing it on purpose to shark but one guy was telling the other guy a story and it just so happens while I’m down on the 8 ball he was into the part of his story saying “don’t miss” like 3 times. That wasn’t intentional cause he wasn’t even watching the match and couldn’t have known I was down on the 8. It must’ve been a pool story.

Last edited:

Flakeandrun

If you let that shit fly more than once, you deserve to get sharked.

The other two shouldn’t bother anyone, and the last one can’t be sharking since it’s after the match.
You're right, I couldn't care if you own the place, don't stand in my shot. I'll tell you once sincerely. The second time I'll call you some choice names. Utterly ridiculous.

-When there’s a lot of balls on the table and your opponent misses and says “there ya go.” As though it’s a privilege that you get an opportunity to shoot or that it’s easy. Always makes me want to say “thank you” and start racking.
Agree with you here, again, I'll tell them to talk on their own time once. A second time, I might do as you suggest. Rack 'em up!

This is obviously during Money or Tournament play - not fun, or petty gambles for light or whatever. Couldn't care too much then (still bothers me, but gotta live a little right and unclench the buttcheeks sometimes. Right?)

-When instead of saying good game after a close race they just say “thanks” as though you were the easiest win of their life.
After the game, and irrelevant. It would simply affect my approach to them in the next game. If there ever was one...

Flakeandrun

Ear buds are my friend :)
Absolutely, mine too.
I got called by a guy for wearing headphones once... he was someone who liked to talk through shots and lean just inside the peripheral line of sight (one of these twitchy types)... tried to say I couldn't wear them... when I asked why, all he could think of was that it's rude o_O... told him I'd rather appear rude, than audibly be as rude as he was while others were playing.

Flakeandrun

Nothing really bothers me when playing, you can jump and down, have your GF pull her tits out(preferred), drop your cue, etc, etc. I grew up in a room where this stuff went on nonstop and I'm glad it did
I guess I am happy enough with normal goings on and noise, but the deliberate being an asshole part gets right under my skin. I even appreciate and understand outbursts or annoyance at self, but being a dick and sharking is for lowlife's who don't rate their own game imo (again I'm new hear and not from gamble culture, so winning is more about being 'good' or playing well than taking the money in my brain)

Best anti-shark is dont show you are mad even when you are pissed. I can tell you the guys at the hall that’ll go off regularly. And sometimes I’m one of them. But a shark will definitely thrive off your weakness.
You're right here, sometimes you get to know a character. Accept it's who they are and that's all you have to play against... It's hard for me with language barrier where I am currently, and it's all I know for the most part, as it's where I picked up the game. Until I learned to understand a bit more, half the time I wasn't aware the other guys nonsense was sharking :ROFLMAO: thought he was just a dumbass, and then when I realized it bothered me less (imagine taking the trouble to do all the antics and shit when someone can't even understand you lol)

My most irritating language barrier/sharking - is deliberate inconsistency of rules, and then playing dumb. No one here allows any fouls (CB or OB), but in friendly games, the culture here is to not care... don't try that in a semi-serious game for some money. I will make you wait the whole 30 minutes it takes to figure out how to call you rude words in just the right way :ROFLMAO:

Same guy actually did a similar thing RE: balls touching the rail after the contact with OB... one rule for him, another for me...
So I only play him when other guys I know are about since, and since then, I learned that they all understand him and also hate his nonsense too!
Good player, but an utter tosspot

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
If you use common courtesy tactics, and this is for the old heads out there... Players can't help but respond if this is done subtlety, and an actual response is not necessary either. All you need do is pull their attention or focus away from what's going on at the time.
People not born in barns have manners and this can be exploited to your advantage. Terrible way to win and I'd advise against this unless you really need the dough.
I ashamedly admit I've resorted to these tactics back in the day when rent was due and daddy was busted. Lol.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Best anti-shark is dont show you are mad even when you are pissed. I can tell you the guys at the hall that’ll go off regularly. And sometimes I’m one of them. But a shark will definitely thrive off your weakness.
My method of dealing with shark moves is get mad. 🤷‍♂️ That's because I can control my anger and use it to elevate my adrenaline.
My favored method has me approaching my opponent and telling them quietly, "you are going to stop this shit or I will make a Big scene. Stop now or Everyone in the whole place will hear me. A self-righteous mad elevates my game to my best available. I bring pin point focus to a fight, be it verbal or physical. Have never reached the physical level over a shark move. 🤷‍♂️ I have however offered a time or two. Guarantees my best game from there. Besides if I am making an offer of physical it's at high volume and the gallery enjoys the thought of watching two old men barely out of walkers have a fight. The only offer I remember is, "I will put you on your back , on the floor, right here, right now." Nobody in the large audience thought that intervention was necessary. 🤷‍♂️ Probably the consensus was This could be funny to watch.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When you are down on the money ball and your opponent puts his cue aside as if he is getting ready to rack the next game.
That only happens once because the next time it happens I just pick up the cue ball and say thanks and get set to break the next rack.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you are down on the money ball and your opponent puts his cue aside as if he is getting ready to rack the next game.
That only happens once because the next time it happens I just pick up the cue ball and say thanks and get set to break the next rack.

I agree that it's a shitty, shark move, but simply putting down your cue isn't a concession anywhere or any time.

In a tournament you're going to lose that game. If you're playing for money, at best you just ended the session. If you refuse to pay off for that loss you could get run out of the place, or worse.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Physical shark or mental shark????

Physical.....There is the standard "cue shift" on the money ball...the jingling of the keys or crossing the legs....etc. etc.

Mental.....Verbal aggression.....passive aggression comments.....Even passive seemingly meaningless complimentary comments trying to get you to think about something and distract you......When I played golf I have been hit with the...(after making a few birdies) ......"Man you are a great putter...........Do you push or pull the putter grip when putting?"

Not a shark....but I have been guilty of this.....If I see someone go "on tilt" because I got a lucky leave on a missed shot.....I have looked for a two way shot where I can "miss" and end up safe....

I used to play a local hole in the wall bar room 8-ball tournament that NOBODY played safe.....It was seemingly frowned upon.......It was like a big "ring game"........The more I played it...the more I was getting really creative missing flyer type shots and leaving open shots but magically tieing up balls so my opponent would not run out.....Sure enough...they would pick off all the easy shots and then get to the cluster and sell out a wide open table....The good news is....the missing part was easy.....LOL...I am a natural at the WTF was that!!! miss.