BAR RULES and DIRTY POOL – Why Official Rules are Important

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
There’s an easy way to fix that. 🤓

I kinda use a seven minute guideline for video. When I have things to get done like is common with these morning visits I rarely watch longer video. That one I think was nine and change, replay a couple sections, closer to fifteen minutes.

Just making a guess, over 75% of my action over the years was on bar tables. Especially on the road, that often meant oddball rules and rules made up on the spot. What the hell, if they will tolerate a shortstop in amongst the barroom players I can tolerate a few interesting rules. I did make mental notes and often nail them with their own rules later.

You haven't lived until you have played barbox eightball where it was a foul to contact the other player's ball. That was with a cue ball or object ball at any point in a shot! Made breaking up clusters a little tricky but since a foul meant cue ball in kitchen things just needed a little more planning.

Hu

loggerhead12

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Nice. I find that bar rules make more sense after a few shots of Cuervo. Then you can kind of go with it.

I was kind of surprised not to see you include moving the cue ball frozen to the rail out one cue butt-width. :)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice. I find that bar rules make more sense after a few shots of Cuervo. Then you can kind of go with it.

Yep.

I was kind of surprised not to see you include moving the cue ball frozen to the rail out one cue butt-width. :)

Funny you mention this, because I plan to feature this oldie but goodie in an upcoming video.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i cant believe they dont make the bar rules just like the tournament rules. just like i bet the old pool players would turn over in their graves at the new pool rules.

you know, have a special rack for racking so you can control the balls and make the same one on the break over and over.

you can touch or move some balls, and just put them back where they were.

you can make a special cuestick so you can jump over the top of balls on the table.

a person starts to unscrew his stick and he automatically loses the game.

when you scratch the other player gets to hand place the cueball wherever he wants on the table.

i can see we need to wise up the bar players to the proper way to play the game.

soyale

the best one i ever had a fella pull on me was that you had to call whether the OB went in the pocket clean or whether it would hit a rail on the way in. this included the pocket facings. all you can do at that point is laugh

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Great vid. The older vids with lower quality resolution are distracting.

Any plans to reshoot old content with a newer camera?

Justaneng

Registered
There’s actually a fairly healthy “bar pool/straight 8” league out by me. Although not reporting into Fargo, I’d estimate the skill range to be 350-550 or so with one guy approaching 600 (only person in the area I’ve seen with a 10% or so BnR rate).

The rules are better documented than most, but the golden rule “though shalt attempt an offensive shot” is still vague and hard to enforce. It basically is a non-issue so long as the shooter hits the cue ball hard enough to make what they are trying.

If we’re not talking about money, I do enjoy some bar pool for the sole reason of going purely on the offensive in a competitive environment. Otherwise, if the rules allow I’m trying to hide the cue ball instead of going for the 3-railer.

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
saw a new one-
my teammate called 13 in the corner
it went in off the opponent’s 2 ball
-so how we play, that’s loss of turn
if you use their ball and you don’t call it

-but he picks up his 2 and drops it in
the pocket, saying your ball touched
mine so it stays down🫨
His made up rule is as valid as your made up rule

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The ironic part of the ubiquitous "make it take it" break rule is that most bangers strongly believe the rule favors the breaker. Even when playing under normal rules, these same players will pick the suit with fewer balls every time without ever looking at position. It's not even worth trying to explain, they want the 'credit' for that ball.

Atorontopoolplayer

Was playing in a dive bar in a night over drinks, me and a friend playing the locals doubles. Bunch of weird rules but strangest thing was when we got to our last stripe with them having 4 solids left they stopped us and said no we're stripes, no surprise the spectators all agreed with the regulars 🤣